Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Jeesh BinderFred, you don't believe in posting lightly do ya. :)

It takes a significant amount of time just to read it, nevermind trying to understand the words Sloor is trying to say. I am curious how long you can keep that going, it can be a chore just to write it. ;)

Question on Keyton. From the picture and his initial actions, I had an impression he was older. Particularly if he met Mir before. But the latest has me wondering if he is a teenager, like 17-18, and a former padawan. It's not critical info, but it does help me get a flavor for drafting Mack's responses.

Nebten

First Post
Its weird. I don't want Keyton to be young, but according to lore he'd probably be at the end of being a padawan since he's so inexperienced.

I would probably be say young 20's. Luke was about that age in Empire & RotJ (not that I'm following in his footsteps).

I'm trying to keep the "Jedi" cool, but Sloor appears to have a way to piss off everybody he comes in contact with. Not really the type of team player one finds or needs in this setting.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
OK, not a kid in Mack's eyes then. Mack is 22, but only because I envision SW kids to mature faster. He has already had a short career in SWAT.

Yes we need figure an IC solution to our issues. This isn't some D&D group of adventurers meeting in a tavern and deciding to go treasure hunting.

Sloor is reminding me of Han Solo, grumbling and complaining a lot, but yet something keeps him hooked in and helping. We have to figure out what.

We actually charged forward a little quickly and should have developed this more before meeting Switch.

Nebten

First Post
Sloor is nothing like Han. Han was at least likable.

He didn't try to salvage guns or stormtrooper armor when he was trying to get off the Death Star.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Actually I am regretting not taking at least one set of trooper armor for personal use, now.

From a practical standpoint OOC our characters are going to need funds. Unless you know something I don't and Bail Organa's gang is going to keep us properly outfitted. There is some equipment we will be needing/wanting, off the top of my head a Computer Interface Visor, a Surgical Kit, a security kit, and upgrade for the droid.

With regards to Sloor. I think what we have here is a difference in playing style. I tend to be more like BinderFred and feel a need to input more what my character is doing, rather than just what he says. Kind of like viewing the whole thing like a scene in a movie. He intends to RP the relationships out rather than just unrealistically throw everyone together and magically be on the same team. He and I had some misunderstandings earlier on this, when you were on vacation Nebten. We kind of agreed to handle it IC afterwards and for the most part we have been on the same page and have been fine since. I have sensed your frustration OOC in your IC posts. If it helps, view Sloor as a big grumpy teddy bear with a bark worse than his bite (assuming he is not going to bite you). From a meta-game perspective, BinderFred is unlikely to let Sloor just take off completely.

Now for you BinderFred, your posts can be hard to read due to Sloor's dialect. In the interest of playing nice with others, maybe you should consider having Sloor's quoted words be spelled correctly. As colorful and amusing as it is, it takes me 2-3 times of reading it just to figure out what he said. On a morning like today, where the posts are long from everyone and people posted multiple times before I could get back in the game, it's taking me hours just to catch up. Now I'm actually waiting for everyone to go to bed so I don't have to worry about anyone posting while I am drafting.

I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, so I am sorry if I did. We are posting frequently and with substance, that's a good thing. :)

We just need to clear up some things with good communication. Just like real life, eh?;)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Jeesh BinderFred, you don't believe in posting lightly do ya. :)

I'll actually be slowing down quite a bit about two weeks from now. I'll be going out in the field then, where I'll likely have an internet connection but will be busy as all get out twelve hours in the day. That tends to cut down on my posting. :)

It takes a significant amount of time just to read it, nevermind trying to understand the words Sloor is trying to say.

Is it really that hard? I'm just substituting "aw" for "oh" sounds and "an" for "on" sounds.... I don't really see how I could make it simpler at this point either.... Hm, I think a character in "A Simple Dungeoncrawl" was having a similar problem, now that I think about it. He decided to post his text in "clear" in an sblock at the bottom of his posts (more work for me but hey). Would that be acceptable?

I'm trying to keep the "Jedi" cool, but Sloor appears to have a way to piss off everybody he comes in contact with. Not really the type of team player one finds or needs in this setting.
Nebten, I'm not angry about it, but your character has told mine to 'shut up, stop what you're doing and obey me or you can just leave'. Not once, but twice. Where was the team playing there? If, on the other hand, you mean team playing as in 'running around from battle to battle with no attempt to figure out why I'm doing it', then yes, I plead guilty to a total lack of that sort of thing. Perrin wanted a scene where we get to know each other better and I agree that the group doesn't know anything significant about each other at all at this point. This is what I'm delivering, if perhaps in too brutal a form (?).

Sloor is reminding me of Han Solo, grumbling and complaining a lot, but yet something keeps him hooked in and helping. We have to figure out what.
I dropped a hint there in his ranting: Sloor is pissed off that supposed rebels who consider the Empire a Very Bad Thing or, worse, are apparently out to help a complete stranger out of the goodness of their heart, don't consider the people of *his* home worth helping or saving, or even mentionning, really (wether he thinks his home *needs* saving is another matter entirely :D). So Sloor, like a big cat, cares about known places, familiar people, established contacts and prepared fall back options. He's a scoundrely dwarven defender! ;)

Hans Solo didn't try to salvage guns or stormtrooper armor when he was trying to get off the Death Star.
Nor was Sloor while stormtroopers or chevin bandits were shooting at them (as I recall he was shielding Mir and Maya with his own body and taking down the main boss, respectively). It was, as a matter of fact, Keyton who started that last combat with a monetary offer to Switch! (and was greatly admired by Sloor for it, granted ;)).

(As an aside, it's been sort of up and down in Sloor's mind as far as Keyton is concerned. He did great in the 'bribing the guard' scene and most of the following conversation with Switch, and attempting to blackmail the droid into forgetting they owed him 200 credits was right up Sloor's alley ("'we're square or we don't help you fight these guys"), but then he'll do or say something that the besalisk cannot help but see as plain crazy (heroic behavior falling in that category) or downright counterproductive to things that don't affect him negatively, or are even to his financial advantage! (getting a decent fee off Maya, hostage ransom from Ganga). It would no doubt help, a lot, if any of us *knew* Keyton was a Jedi and that some of his behavior can therefore be explained by perceiving things others can't. Might be a good idea to have that revealed in some way, at some point...)

Why you, personnaly, think salvaging loot from your adversaries, a roleplaying mainstay, is a bad thing when specifically not in combat situations though, I have no idea. I have the impression - correct me if I'm wrong, always hard to see virtual expressions and such - that it's not the looting activities per se that you object to but the time they "take away" from getting to the next combat scene. For me pbp games are there specifically for the roleplaying fun, both during and between combats, and story-goal advancement is secondary at best. YMMV, of course, but that's unlikely to change.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I'll actually be slowing down quite a bit about two weeks from now.
Wasn't a criticism mate. Good luck, and hope you have time to play in your schedule.

Is it really that hard? I'm just substituting "aw" for "oh" sounds and "an" for "on" sounds.... I don't really see how I could make it simpler at this point either.... Hm, I think a character in "A Simple Dungeoncrawl" was having a similar problem, now that I think about it. He decided to post his text in "clear" in an sblock at the bottom of his posts (more work for me but hey). Would that be acceptable?
I did say it is colorful and amusing, so don't change it on my account, but if others aren't reading it carefully... However, if you use a strange slang, it might help if it's defined in a spoiler block to cut down on potential confusion.

Nebten, your character has told mine to 'shut up, stop what you're doing and obey me or you can just leave'. Not once, but twice. Where was the team playing there?
This hasn't gone over well with Mack or me either, BTW. And now Mir has jumped on board, by essentially telling him to go his own way.

Perrin wanted a scene where we get to know each other better and I agree that the group doesn't know anything significant about each other at all at this point.
We still don't. And there were some valid points about things IC not making any sense and Sloor has pointed them out. Keyton and Mir have said a little about themselves, mostly what was obvious from their actions (helping Maya, no love for the empire, and can fight). Don't Mir or Keyton want to try to understand what or why Sloor is doing what he is doing instead of just chalking it up to greed? Mack doesn't necessarily see eye to eye with Sloor, but sees the advantages of his abilities and tried to explain his reasoning and interpretation, but well... Those comments appear to be lost in amongst the rest of the posts and forgotten. So now we are just going to sweep it under the rug to move on, or what?

It would no doubt help, a lot, if any of us *knew* Keyton was a Jedi and that some of his behavior can therefore be explained by perceiving things others can't.
Both Keyton and Mir have essentially lied about their force powers by omission. Have you figured out how you're going to fix that? ;) Mack and Sloor may not be happy once they learn the truth. But that's a scene for another time.

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
Perrin said:
Both Keyton and Mir have essentially lied about their force powers by omission. Have you figured out how you're going to fix that? Mack and Sloor may not be happy once they learn the truth. But that's a scene for another time.

Well, I would say lying is taking it a little bit too far. But yes Mir has omitted her force use. First off consider the times we, the characters, are living in. Jedi purge and all that. Second, we just met today. It is not something you go tell folk you do not fully know yet. And thirdly and not that anyone would know yet, her Mentor, was known to give aid to the Jedi in the past and since the Pruge, has made it a choice and known to Mir to lay low.

So yes, it will be interesting :D when it is revealed, considering Mir has not use some of her more obvious powers yet... soon though. Cloaking herself should prove interesting. And her illusion talent will add some flare to situations.

[sblock=And if you are interested in where Mir is going...]
2nd level (Scout) feat is skill focus (Use the Force) +13! :cool:
3rd level is likely Scoundrel for point blank shot, talent not too sure (considering the illusion add to change her appearance), and feat is Force Training: Rubuke, Mind Shard, and Vital Transfer
4th level +1 to Int and Wis, Soldier light armor prof, pick up Treat Injury as a skill (due to int increase) talent (no idea)
5th level Solider precise shot

Of course the story could dictate some sufferance in class choices and such. So nothing is set in stone.
[/sblock]

I would say Mir's just a little frustrated with Sloor right now. She's a calm and cool-headed person most of the time. So getting out of this task she may take the time get more personal with Mack and Sloor. Right now, there is a task and she's focused on that.

And yes sometimes Sloor-speak is difficult to understand the first read through. If I read it over I usually get most of it. It is something that is endearing for Sloor though. Feel free to keep doing it.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
yes Mir has omitted her force use. First off consider the times we, the characters, are living in. Jedi purge and all that. Second, we just met today. It is not something you go tell folk you do not fully know yet.
Too bad she failed at her Negate Energy roll, *that* could have been hard to ignore. :) But I quite agree with the rest: just blurting it out is not a sane thing to do in this context. Some subtle hints and unconscious signs might get Keyton on the trail though, him being a more experienced force user and all. If all else fails, inadvertantly force chop Sloor's cerebelum next time he gets really "frustrating". :D

I would say Mir's just a little frustrated with Sloor right now. She's a calm and cool-headed person most of the time. So getting out of this task she may take the time get more personal with Mack and Sloor. Right now, there is a task and she's focused on that.
This being an action game though, I very much suspect that the short quiet times between battles ARE going to be the only character-building time we're going to get. Truth be told, it was perfectly in character for Sloor, but *I* wrote the "top of your list" remark with the fervent hope that he and Mir could get into a shouting match about it and that some things would come out in the open. She was the better woman on that one though -- serves me right. :.-(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases