Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I'm a bit confused about the combat situation : is it just me or has Keyton just acted twice this round? As I see it:

Keyton: Interposes himself between troopers and woman. As you didn't specify a ready actions (and couldn't, really, based on the information you had), this should have concluded your actions this round.
Mack: Delays
Troopers: Threaten
Informants: Apparently delay or act outside our awareness
Mir and/or Mack <---- is up

Then Sloor before it's your turn again.

EDIT: By the by, Songdragon, Sloor first bit of action (as described and assuming it happens BEFORE Keyton attacks) will happen wether he succeeds at the Perception test or not. You canroleplay it into your move if you want.

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
I'm a bit confused about the combat situation : is it just me or has Keyton just acted twice this round? As I see it

The interposing was not so much an action in initiative but placing himself and talking, like we all did. The attack would be his 1st round action. To me anyhow. Do not worry, he just irked some stormtroppers, and likely has become their target. Poor Jedi. ;)

I am also going to wait and see how things play out for now, before getting a droid. That and I do not have much left to spend.

Binder Fred

Hm, I think I have to disagree with that. Talking is a free action, moving is not. Keyton specified his starting postion as "in the upper right corner" so he had to move to get within hand-to-hand range with the troopers (remember, none of the starting positions available to us were close enough to begin at close-range anyways). Even if we consider his two post as a single action, he then uses another move action to draw his weapon and is left with none to attack. It's actuallly to his advantage to wait until next round to act.

That's my two cents anyway.

Binder Fred

Even if we consider his two post as a single action, he then uses another move action to draw his weapon and is left with none to attack.

... Which lack of attack might actually be represented by his dissmal tohit roll. ;) Technically he *still* should not have been able to act twice in the same round (are you listening, Nebten?), but I guess we can think of his actions as "Move, draw weapon" and make it sort of legal. Alright, you talked me into it, Songdragon, I withdraw my objection. Please go ahead and post. :)

And I think I *will* buy a droid anyways (I just sort of like the idea of the two of them together). Some of the basic parts just won't be working until I have the cash to "fix" them (the communit, most likely)... Rule question for Possum: can Sloor take advantage of a Feint action initiated by his droid (or, while we're at it, can another character take advantage of a Feint initiated by Sloor)? Say droid buzzes their heads, they look up, Sloor shoots them while they are distracted. Or must it be the same player that does the feint *and* the following attack? (that last one makes less sense to me but hey, YMMV). I'll have the thing bought up somewhere tomorrow.

Last edited:

possum

First Post
I personally saw it as Keyton using a move action to get between the stormtrooper and Maya and then using a free action to talk. In the interest of being cinematic, I had the stormtrooper reply. Then the attack.

That's how I saw it, personally.

Binder Fred

He doesn't have Quickdraw though, so technically drawing his weapon would cost him a move action.

This is obviously getting confusing and we've barely started. I, for one, was sure the stormtroopers had acted this round when obviously they just talked and Delayed. I think it would help a lot if each of us (GM included) posted the mechanics of their move at the end of their post as well as who can act next.

Example: Stormtroopers Delay. Next up Keyton and/or Mack.

Last edited:

Nebten

First Post
Whoa . . .
This is how I saw it.
Round 1:
Key move & talk
Mack: delay & internal monologe
Troopers: Reply Keyton
Informatants: Chillin'
Mir: Move behind computer/ready to draw
Soor: Pass behind the computer consoles to the left.

Round 2
Key: draws & attacks
Troopers: Attack back
Mack:??

Since these guys can shoot an effective 21 Ref (due to Elusive Target or 26 if they don't have Precise Shot), I think getting out of the first combat alive is a priority.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Sorry, I have been out of pocket (working 7:30am to 1:00am two days straight) for the last 48 hours, only being able to read the posts from my mobile phone.

I subscribe to the philosophy that the game rules and mechanics are for the GM to adjudicate the role-playing actions. The other way would be like PBP chess with role-playing added on. I was not confused either until I started catching up on this OOC thread. I kind of agreed with possum's interpretation on Keyton's actions, and also had a similar impression of the events as Nebten saw them.

Now I have had several hours to consider it (the advantage of being halfway around the world) while you guys have been sleeping. The only thing I am not clear on was when we actually entered combat, I think we jumped the gun on Initiative rolls while Keyton was moving in to talk to the stormtroopers.

To me Initiative rolls are applied only once hostilities have been joined, but we had not really gotten there yet. Initially I had thought Keyton acted before rolling Initiative and if that's the case BinderFred's entire argument about drawing the weapon is moot. From a role-palying persepective that makes sense as well. His drawing of a weapon is the spark that triggers the Initiative checks and then combat starts so the action was basically free. Likewise Sloor and Mir's reactions to take cover are also pre-battle. Mack's delay was only because hostilities had not started yet and it was unlikely he was going to set them off without waiting for the result of the Stormtroopers response to Keyton's verbal challenge.

Nebten's impression is how possum saw it, except Round 2 is actually Round 1, with those other actions being pre-combat. Therefore Mack's actions are being allowed to preceed the Stormtroopers, and potentially change the results if he rolls exceptionally well. I would even say they should go before Keyton's if combat doesn't actually start until he draws the weapon, which was all Mack was really waiting for.

I do offer this suggestion though. Possum, do you mind rolling all the Initiative checks once it is clear hostilities have commenced? It saves us a round of posting and then we can submit our inputs knowing where we are falling in the order of things. It could cut down on confusion as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases