Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

Nebten

First Post
There is no rule that you will damage an ally if you get within 5 of your target number. That was a rule from D&D 3.0 which Saga is akin to, but isn't even followed in 3.5 D&D.

You take -5 to ranged attacks to those in melee. You can't choose to disregard it. So fire away, there is no friendly fire.

Songdragon

Explorer
The best way to avoid the penalty for a foe in melee combat is precise shot (you need point blank shot first). Might be something worth picking up, since we have several melee combatants. I am still trying to figure the best way to get it while trying to keep up with the force training.

Binder... Mir will more than let the droid do the Treat Injury. Untill I can get it at some point later, she is at a +2 TI. Until I pick up some Flashflesh Medpacs (+5 to TI) for 600 cr each. I knew I should have taken vital transfer. ;)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Yeah Precise Shot is probably my next Feat. Think Mack is going to be a commando or sniper type, haven't had time to work the build all the way out yet. Still haven't worked out where I want to go with the Force Sensitivity yet either. With a Jedi in the group we could theoritically multi-class that in. Of course Mack also is covering the Piloting if we need it as well. Frankly I haven't hurried to think past 1st level, because I am not sure what will be best for this campaign. Maybe before we get to level 2 we will have a better idea.

Now that the confusion is cleared up, I am having fun!

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
There is no rule that you will damage an ally if you get within 5 of your target number. That was a rule from D&D 3.0 which Saga is akin to, but isn't even followed in 3.5 D&D.

You take -5 to ranged attacks to those in melee. You can't choose to disregard it. So fire away, there is no friendly fire.
Sure thing. It's just that Perrin's calc example for last round did not include the -5 for adjacent allies (with your character adjacent to both his targets), just the -5 for unbraced autofire. As his expected move includes that same situation this round, I wanted to make sure we were on the same page on this.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Round 1, I left the calc off because I thought the stormtroopers were flat-footed, so technically not in melee combat yet. But that may be old d20 rules. I just re-checked the rules and it just says adjacent. And flat-footed only applies to surprised and unaware targets, not in the 1st round before a participant's first action.

For round 2, only 1 informant is next to Keyton, so not sure if the penalty applies to both or not. So I left it off, since I posted before getting a ruling on the dangers of friendly fire.

In both cases the to hit roll was going to miss, so only 1/2 damage. Is it me, or does auto-fire seem too good?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
BinderFred: Not sure if I am understanding Sloor's attitude correctly. To be clear, at least to me 'chummer' is not insulting, sort of like saying "hey buddy". But I AM gathering Sloor is a surly scoundrel.

But from Mack's perspective, Sloor did not fire a shot, and he has no knowledge that the droid belongs to Sloor since he was busy shooting bad guys. If his controlling player didn't know he was supposed to be part of our group, Mack would have been really tempted to start firing on him too, since he just threatened him.

Binder Fred

[Major snipage of my own explanation of what Sloor thinks]
On reflection, I think this bit is robbing us of some golden roleplaying opportunities, so I'm cutting it wholesale. If you've already read it, try to ignore it, please. If not and you wonder why Sloor acts the way he does, then ask in character. Your own character is likely wondering the same thing, so it's justified, and rest assured that he's reacting as a sensible being should (the reasons might not be immediately obvious to all, but they are there).

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Now this I find shocking: You had to *hold back* Mack from killing a guy he's just met because he made a verbal threat?! Don't know if this is accurate, but if so I am gathering that Mack is a trigger happy psychopath. How was that even a threat, exactly (it's a sharp comment about Mack's lack of survival instinct and/or common sense, sure, but a threat?), and what does the droid have to do with it?

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Edit: After reading everything more time, OOC and IC, I also realized much of this original post responds to BinderFred's deleted content so I deleted it as well. Perhaps most of you were still asleep anyway.

I clearly failed a real-world Perception Check.:p I DO appreciate the insight, that's why I asked.

I have been regretting that first encounter and was not intending Mack to be a jerk but more a ex-cop hardcase. Appears to be a typical case of egos and mis-communication. Just like the real world, eh? And for other comment, I can't say Mack was trying to be friendly, just not insulting. "Hey chummer" is more like "hey Jack" in this case.

I went back and reread Sloor's responses. What I thought was another threat of violence from the besalisk was actually him just calling Mack a "trigger happy psychopath" that is going to get himself killed by the authorities. Now that I understand, I can react properly.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

I DO appreciate the insight, that's why I asked.

Yeah, but it's so very *easy* to metagame from there (I'm talking about me here). Touchy questions like: Would Sloor really have perceived this action that way if I didn't know that Mack thinks this and that. Simpler, truer (and often *more fun*) not to see into other character's head too much. :)

It did give me a chance to put Sloor's internal reasonings in so many words, which in turn made me reason out Mack's side of things (the result of which you see in my most recent post). I don't think it makes a bad story so far, or - worse - a contrived one, so if it helps the group bond together, then it's all good.

I have been regretting that first encounter and was not intending Mack to be a jerk but more a ex-cop hardcase.
I'm getting a definite "soldier" feel from him, especially in his last comments to Mir, references to Tangos, etc, so maybe he was in the equivalent of SWAT or some other paramilitary organization? Or maybe he's just playing at being a soldier? Guess we'll find that out too, eventually. :)

And for other comment, I can't say Mack was trying to be friendly, just not insulting. "Hey chummer" is more like "hey Jack" in this case.
Brings back memories of Shadowrun. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases