Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

possum

First Post
Congrats everyone on 1000 posts, as well as finishing the final encounter of the first module. We'll finish up the RP for this module in the current thread and then move on to another thread for the second module. Since we're pretty much done with rolling, I believe, go ahead and level your characters up to 3.

It's been fun, everyone!

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Wost definitely. I am impressed that we are all still together. That is pretty rare. Here's to reaching 1000 on the next module! {clink}

Edit: I will post IC later.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
{clink!} :D

I did have fun on this module. Nice interactions, some very well-written posts, good posting rate, steady, commited players and GM, what's not to like? Some - minor - things should ideally be addressed in the next module though.

One of those things is the challenge level. Sure we plan well and our teamwork is improving, but I think everone can agree that last battle was sort of anticlimactic. Overall, did anyone seriously think we could loose/be forced to retreat at any point of a combat scene already in progress? (well, there was the bit where Switche's bodyguards almost changed sides on us, granted. That could have turned nasty real quick). They didn't though and we've pretty much breezed through every combat since then... Bail needs to give us jobs that are up to our extreme level of competence :)

The other point has been mentionned by Nebten and Perrin before. It's the *very* linear nature of the module design. Player actions seen to matter little to what's going to happen next, be it for the start of combat conditions of a perticular scene or what the next scene is going to be. Frankly, I wouldn't mind so much if it all held together well to make a good story. Some of the things we're told and the way (some of the) NPCs react just don't make much sense to me though (at this point, Sloor is suppossing the base commander was either insane, staggeringly incompetent and/or under severe outside pressure to act the way he did, possibly a mix of the three). Even base floorplans are apparenlty exercises in linear design: instead of putting in the rooms that *should* be in a realistically operating base, the designers have apparently created completely independant set pieces and placed them there so the players can trigger them individually, with little apparent interaction between rooms. To sum it all up, I've had twitches of that rail-roady feeling here and there during the campaign, which I find acceptable in a game that's trying to give us a "movie" feel, but that base - that base did not give me the feeling of being in a "real", interactive world at all. It... coddled us, and failed to justify that coddling IC. That's bad. If the same guy designed the later modules, I think they need to be gone through with a reality-check knife and a big red pen.

... Hope that wasn't too harsh?

Last edited:

possum

First Post
No, not too harsh at all. Those are some legitimate problems. I'll be trying to up the challenge level a bit in later modules.

And you're right, the level design does lean a bit on the linear side.

Songdragon

Explorer
I would like to say that I enjoyed playing with everyone. We seem to have a nice mix of people both in and out of character.

One concern I have is having such a high Use the Force skill check. +13. I know that some GMs have issues with characters that lean more towards Force abilities (Force Wizards). So what I am asking of you all, is the having the Skill Focus (Use the Force) a little over the top? While I have rolled low on occasion, most times roll a UtF check is to see how high I can roll rather then to see if it merely succeeds. There does not seem to be challenge with a +13 to a skill, at level 2. Let me know what you all think please? I would be willing to change the Skill Focus, GM allowing.

Question for armor... I am interested in the Tracker Vest in the Clone Wars book, it is light armor, which I can get the feat for, but if I wore the stuff, I could not use my level for my Ref Def, correct? I would need the Soldier Talent Armored Defense? Is there any way to get such a vest that is not armor?

[sblock=Leveling Ideas]Not sure about class... Scoundrel or Solider

Feat: Force Training (Mind Shard, Vital Transfer, Rebuke)
Talent: Force Harmony[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Well, the module is what it is. I have heard that it gets harder as you go too and perhaps it is not so linear either, dunno. I would not change the skill on Mir. If we start getting bad guys that remember us, she will find that using her Force powers will make her a target from stormtroopers on principle.

The hard part for the GM is letting us poke holes at the boundary of the reservation and then guide us back onto it without us knowing it. ;)

Having more difficult encounters will be fun, but we really need a way to heal ourselves up better. Hopefully with the loot, we can upgrade TB to do surgery.

I am still thinking on level up choices, sticking with Soldier-3. Maybe Cover Fire for Talent and Deadeye Shot for a Feat. I would like to retrain the Pilot skill and Vehicular Combat if that is not not going to be used in the campaign. I can either take Endurance or Treat injury instead. If it helps I would be willing to Take Surgical Expertise and Skill Focus Treat Injury and be a combat medic if we cannot get that out of TB.

Songdragon

Explorer
The Treat Injury skill was something I was going to look at at 4th level, as Mir will level and adding a point into Int gives her another skill. But if you want too take it and go that far with it, I know Mir will not have the feats to be 'that' good.

Just saying... If you want something else, feel free as well.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I was looking at my character from DT's game and comparing what I did with possibilities here. Concept wise, I don't see Mack as the medic type, but I am willing to adjust. But he is already covering the Mechanics and Use Computer though. Still need a ruling on retraining from possum or the point becomes moot. ;)

Perhaps the best thing for now, if Mir is going to take Treat Injury is to get a surgical kit and program TB. Even if the droid cannot carry it, he could use it if someone else does.

Mack can also go for Heavy Weapons instead.

As for loot, we need someone that is good at haggling to get us a good price on reselling that stuff. There are some weapon and armor upgrades we can probably afford. Everyone can get Improved Accuracy added to their weapons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases