Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

toasterferret

Explorer
I would'nt mind that in the least.

Perin brings up a good point about group chemistry. As someone who tried to come into the group from the outside, I pretty much felt like a third wheel at all times. I don't think any of you were doing anything wrong, but joining an already established group as tight as you guys are isn't easy.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
But... But- Isn't the world a tricycle? :D

I've often found that if you consistantly feel something as a player, then there's a good chance your character is feeling it too. Build-it in (word, actions, atitude, even just thoughts). It gets it out there and you can better hash it out IC.

I saw Darius as fairly quiet and... mild? Easy-going? to begin with. Which is fine - God knows the group could use a level-headed character ;) - but it's true that it doesn't help him stand out against the other three protagonists: Sloor will take as much space as you let him (and a bit more for good mesure), Mack is no pushover in the character department (I refer you to his many, many Balls and Deathstar similee ;)) and while Mir is more subtle, her personnality still always comes through -- you always know that she's *there*. A fourth definitively needs some sort of motivational/characterial center to hold him steady in that kind of a storm. For Darius it could be formal rigidity (see "white knight"), extreme stoicism/inner peace/defeatism, or maybe a strong and instant like or dislike for one (or more) of the other three (four counting TB)?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
By group chemistry I was referring to players, not the characters. But I do understand that sometimes the distinction is blurred as people base their character's personalities on an aspect of themselves and it can be difficult separating that out when OOC issues intrude.

TF, I have noticed that you did not find a good rhythm with Borric or Zelena with your 1st LPF character and Anna either, not quite clicking. Sometimes, things just don't work out and it isn't because anyone did something wrong.

Also, it is can be difficult to truly keep your focus on staying in character if you don't stick with it on a frequent basis posting effectively 3-4 times a week. Don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to offend you, TF. This is a generalization and only you can honestly say if it applies or not. ;)

Rather, I am speaking from a point of view of having posted 1000's of IC content since I started playing this game and I have developed and improved in that time significantly. So, perhaps we are playing at a different PbP skill level of creativity and it can be intimidating. So any other noob to EnWorld will likely face similar issues, and this was the writing on the wall that I saw right away, BF.

I have played some games with other decent RPers, but just could not click with them either. Probably because they made no effort to role-play with my character.

Honestly, instead of breaking in a new player, maybe we should look at what we can do to help TF enjoy playing Darius and get into the game. Not sure that is possible, but it doesn't hurt to discuss.

If that is not possible...
I did give offering to play Darius about 2 minutes consideration. However, my reasons for proposing Sonja, was not my desire to play two characters in this game, but rather to play the persona itself.

Sonja one of the personalities in my stable that currently doesn't have a home, unlike my Mack persona that is running around in at least 2 other games right now. While I don't have time to find a decent game to get her into, I do have the time to play two characters in the same game.

possum

First Post
A lot of thinking for me to do here, and some good discussion as well. It's a damn shame that I "wasted" giving you all XP in the past because this really deserves it.

Ilike Binder's idea of a more selective recruitment as well as Perrin's idea of trying to get toasterferret more into it. In other words, I'm just as clueless as you are!

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I do frequent recruiting and recently have had some bad experiences with some immature douchebags. But I have written down some things as part of a DM workshop and have had frequent discussions about these issues with my good friends on another site.

If you have time, check this out. UnlimitedRPGs.com - Play by Post Games • View topic - Admin-PMiller's DM Workshop Series

There are some good tips and information there. Particularly #6 & #8 which are most applicable for this discussion.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Hey there, folks! Two of the people I've contacted have expressed an interrest in our little game. I think both of them are more than competent roleplayers, if I do say so myself, and in for the long haul. ;)

First is [MENTION=6680745]ahayford[/MENTION] which would prefer to introduce a new character into the mix (you can see some of his work in The Shackled City). He's asking if: "there's a class you guys feel you'll be lacking? I could roll up a jedi to fill the vacant spot, but I could just as easily come up with something to fill a role you might be missing. It would actually help me come up with a character concept faster to have a direction to go in :)". Thoughts?

[MENTION=21938]Dr Simon[/MENTION] just contacted me. He now has a copy of the Saga Edition and says "I'd be happy to take over Darius (maybe with a few mechanical tweaks, maybe not) - I can see potential in the character.". He's presently DMing the flavourful Iron Heroes, if you really want to know. :D

Discuss!

Dr Simon

Explorer
Dr Simon just contacted me.

That's me!

He now has a copy of the Saga Edition and says "I'd be happy to take over Darius (maybe with a few mechanical tweaks, maybe not) - I can see potential in the character.".

I think it'll save me time in creating a new character, and also save having to introduce a new character to the game. From what I can see, Darius seems to be a fairly generic Jedi base on which to build.

He's presently DMing the flavourful Iron Heroes, if you really want to know. :D

Amongst others. See link in sig.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
LOL, with two candidates for one spot, we can have debates and election.

I am not sure if we should be discussing everything in open forum, though.

I will say this. Keeping Darius is a seamless transition, but for some, taking over someone else's character does not always hold interest for a long term thing. I have done it myself without issue and know of one other person, but everyone else did not last more than a few months.

However, we can work in a new character too. If ahayford would be comfortable playing a ranged combat character to cover Use Computer and Mechanics skills, I could switch to Sonja and we can have them join as a team to help integrate them IC better, perhaps.

I have a few questions to ask both our candidates:
- Experience with the rules
- What aspect of PbP gaming they like best
- Anticipated frequency of participation/posting

ahayford

First Post
I have a few questions to ask both our candidates:
- Experience with the rules
- What aspect of PbP gaming they like best
- Anticipated frequency of participation/posting

Experience:

I have experience both running and playing D20. I'm currently running a Saturday maptools pathfinder game for some of my old college buddies as well as DMing a PbP Pathfinder Shackled City game here on ENWorld.

Shackled City IC Thread
Shackled City Obsidian Portal

I have located the core rules for Saga edition but I have never played. However, the rules seem very D20 to me. Nothing unusual.

What I like about PBP:

Shared story telling. The lag allows you to really think about and compose interesting posts. Its a lot easier to build a coherent story then say, during a table top game. You have a lot more time to respond as a DM when your players throw you for a loop.

Frequency:

I can do at least once a day....maybe more depending (lunch break etc).

As far as character was concerned....I was kind of leaning toward a slicer/ranged character...So we'll see what I can come up with.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases