Star Wars Saga: The Dawn of Defiance [OOC Thread]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
You don't have to be hasty, possum. ;)

I have had disagreements with others like this and continue to play along with them afterwards without issue. Mainly because (I hope) there is still mutual respect between BF and myself.

BF's comments and my responses in PMs (from my phone) caught me at a time where I am dealing with multiple OOC dramas at once. So I am a bit touchy perhaps. I have since eliminated one thorn (booted him from my game) and choose to ignore the other idiot.

However, I still don't think BF needed to roll the dice & use a FP, so my reaction about shooting Sloor was more about OOC perception than anything else.

Perhaps my writing did not convey properly what I am thinking Mack perceives (since I cluttered things by asking about Taking a 1 on Perception):
- He has no clue why Sloor is glaring at him, since he is acting a part to keep Mir from having to drink.
- He has been drinking, so that is cluttering judgement.
- He is thinking with the little brain and not his noggin (+2 bonus to Will? :p)
- Figures Sloor is acting a part in the charade

Regardless of his use of the roll, I still don't think a PC should roll dice to influence another player's role-playing. So, right or wrong I pretty much ignored the roll. But, wasting an FP on it struck me as I was being forced into certain behavior. I guess that is not the case and I misunderstood.

I had a SWSE game where another player used Mind Trick on me without even an OOC "Excuse me" before or later. The GM essentially endorsed it. Needless to say, I dropped that game shortly thereafter since that was very inconsiderate behavior. So I am very touchy on people rolling social skill checks PvP.

Another experience I have had is people rolling them to make up for piss poor writing in interacting with other PCs. Again, not the case here, but where my feelings on the subject have been tempered.

Granted, if there is a time to have a player turn to the dark side, then that is a different situation and not what we are discussing. I have had agreeable PvP combats before without worry.

I will post Mack tomorrow. I am assuming that we have pretty much resolved our disagreement and can continue without needing to prematurely end the scene. :)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
We seem to perceive social skills differently. Rather than force someone into a specific set of actions (like Mind Trick), I see social skill as mostly emotion-based: they instill a (sometimes overwhelming) feeling of fear/attraction/calm/camaradery/etc -- and there you have no choice but to feel it. But what you do with this emotion afterwards will vary widely depending on the character and the exact situation.

In that vein and just to play devil's advocate, IF we were in a life and death situation AND facing ennemies/strangers, a direct attack might be an entirely reasonnable response to a critically successful Intimidate roll. Intimidate triggers fight or flight responses, and sometimes you get Fight (with, I'm hoping, a sizeable malus for the shaken nerves/recklessness involved). That's a successful intimidation attempt in my book. Most responses should fall well below that though, and I think Possum handled it very well in our fight with Ganga the Chevin gangboss for example.

I should definitively have specified Sloor was going for "Back off!" instead of "I will kill you!" though. You know what they say about "assume"... :-S

Other minutia:
However, I still don't think BF needed to roll the dice & use a FP.
I used that FP for the same reason we always use FPs: though he doesn't quite know it yet, this is something important to my PC.

- He has been drinking, so that is cluttering judgement.
Contrarely to Sloor who is stone cold sober. :p Also something to remember on your side of things.

- Figures Sloor is acting a part in the charade
And he decided NOT to play along? That's gotta be drunk logic, right?

I am assuming that we have pretty much resolved our disagreement and can continue without needing to prematurely end the scene. :)
Well I don't know: when I read Possum's post I had a flash of Sloor suddenly finding himself walking into the dungeon with the others, his lower left hand sore for some reason and pausing mid-step... "I didn't say anything embarrasing back there, did I?" :D

<Response Mack?>

i.e. I could go for either version. Let us know what you prefer, Possum.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Perhaps I am coloring the experience with my unconscious thinking in terms of d20 rules (to include PF) where Intimidate is to force an NPC to move temporarily towards Friendly on the attitude track or to demoralize an opponent. :hmm:

After my over-reaction, I did go back and review the SWSE rules and familiarize myself with the difference.

Like I said, I never had issue with the IC content, just stubbornly resisting being told how my character should react to something. Since that was not really what was going on, I have no real issue. :)

Of course, I tend to leave the dice alone when interacting with other PCs, even when effectively using social skills. I just write it as making an off-the-books Take 10 on the skill most of the time. Though, most of the time I don't really even think about it. :p

Binder Fred

The "backing down" part seemed to fit anyway.

Ah well. A nice little party on saturday (happy birthday Fred! :D), followed by a glorious glut of absolutely nothing on Sunday and I'm rearing to go once more: Will Mack ferret out what's really going on in Sloor's extra thick head or will it be partie remise? How many drunk jedis fit on top of a pin anyway? And just what is going on in Mir's head during all this? All these answers and many more in our next installement of Dawn of Defiance: the soap edition! :cool: :cool:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Don't it hurt when you brain them with a chair? :p

Not sure if it really impacted my posting with Mack, but work schedule had me slow across all my games in general. I go back to normal schedule next week.

Binder Fred

Arg! Ninja'd by Possum and I have no time right now: contrarely to plan, I missed one of my conecting flights so I'm still in /$?%?!/$? airport limbo right now. Possum, could we pause your post until we wrap up all the "dungeon" threads? I'll be back tomorrow for the answer.

Fingers crossed,
Fred.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases