Need Good Fantasy Literature Recommendations (again)

Apok

First Post
Okay, I know this question has been asked many times before and the topic has circulated quite a bit but each time it comes around I never remember any of the books that are recommended.

I'm looking for some new (good) fantasy literature to read since I've exhausted most of what I currently own. I've read Jordan's stuff, Eddings and Martin and a whole slew of D&D specific novels (the FR, DL, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, etc.) and I'm looking to expand my repetoir.

Current Ideas:

Steven Brust
Glen Cook's Black Company series

That's about all I could pull from the fragmented memory that is my mind. Problem with those two is that finding the complete series is a pain since every major bookstore around here has either a) everything except for the first book or b) a handful of disjointed novels that may or may not be related by the author.

Any good fantasy literature ideas you guys can throw my way (and I know you can) would be greatly appreciated.

Crothian

First Post
Raymond E Fiest and Mercedes Lackey are two good authors will solid fantasy world. You can never go wrong with Thieves World, that's the darker side of fantasy.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
A new Australian author who is being released in the U.S. is Ian Irvine. His first series, "The View from the Mirror" is definitely worth a look - there are some exceptional ideas in there.

In full:
1. A Shadow on the Glass
2. The Tower on the Rift
3. Dark is the Moon
4. The Way between the Worlds

A follow-up series (the Well of Echoes) is currently being written.

Cheers!

Mystic Eye

First Post
I would say you should read the Black Company. It is awesome but very different in style from normal fantasy fiction.
Also, George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is fantastic. The first one is The Game of Thrones.

Low fantasy:

David Gemmel's Rigante books were a fun read.

Mid-range fantasy:

Modesitt's Recluce books were fun. Not quite my personal take on Law & Chaos, but good.

Old school:

Just started in on "The Worm Ouroboros" by E.R. Eddison myself. Requires significant patience for description, but Quality.

If you liked Eddings, he himself recommends Lord Dunsany. GREAT stuff. If you want novels, "The King of Elfland's Daughter" and "The Charwoman's Shadow" are fantastic. I just got "Don Rodriquez" so I can't comment on that one yet. If you like short stories, they've just re-printed several of his anthologies. They range from high fantasy to Lovecraftian (before Lovecraft was Lovecraftian) to pulp to war stories.

Edited to add Disclaimer: many people who've lived on a diet of modern fantasy don't find these "Old School" books to be their cup of tea. I'd try them out through the library or something before taking my word for it. :)

Last edited:

CCamfield

First Post
Steven Erikson is awesome. The first book is Gardens of the Moon. If you can't get it locally - I don't think it's easily available in the States - but you can order it from the Canadian version of Amazon, www.amazon.ca.

Glen Cook: For The Black Company series, the first trilogy is The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose. Can't go wrong with these. Ignore the other books in the series for now.

I highly recommend both these authors for people who like - as Crothian put it - the darker side of fantasy.

Other stuff I've read recently that was good: The Book of Ash, by Mary Gentle. The One Kingdom, by Sean Russell.

Oh - Cook's other books. These are mostly the Garrett novels, which are simply tons of fun. Think of a fantasy novel then cross it with a hard-boiled detective story like The Maltese Falcon. Garrett is the P.I. There's a lot of criminal underworld stuff (complete with 'kingpin' figure), a dead partner who communicates by telepathy, always one - or more - beautiful women, and a lot of sarcastic humour. All the titles involve a metal - Cold Copper Tears, Deadly Quicksilver Lies, etc. My suggestion would be to pick up the oldest one you can find first, although the stories are pretty independent of each other. (Offhand all I can think of is evolution in the relationships with various women. :D)

Last edited:

CCamfield

First Post
Oh yeah, Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley. Neat book. The scenes at the inn were quite memorable.

For those wanting a taste of something like the old fantasies but with a more modern writing approach, try The High House by James Stoddard. It's about a man and a house - an infinitely large house that stretches across different worlds, and has entire (if small) civilizations within it.

CCamfield said:
Oh yeah, Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley. Neat book. The scenes at the inn were quite memorable.

Looking forward to them. :D A fellow Dunsany-ite? Or did you just stumble across that one?

Another thing I thought of... As a break from all the very, very Western fantasy literature, I picked up a book of "Japanese Tales" recently (translated by Royall Tyler, if anyone's interested). It makes a really refreshing way of cleaning your mental pallette. And it's actually got me thinking about playing a monk, which is just odd for me. :)

CCamfield

First Post
Canis said:

Looking forward to them. :D A fellow Dunsany-ite? Or did you just stumble across that one?

I think I got it out of the university library (I pay for a card, not being a student any more) after reading The King of Elfland's Daughter. But I don't believe I've read any other Dunsany.

The Worm Ouroborous (sp) was great too!

Is "Japanese Tales" literally the title of the book you mention? I like reading stuff (well, fantasy novels :)) set in different cultures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases