Trapped in Hell's Basement (DM: Mal Malenkirk Judge:Covaithe)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng frowns at the outcome of the rush and imprudence of his partners.
"War loves prudence, you act imprudently, recklessly; hence you are bested by such a pitiful enemy such as this. It is a shame for a jadite warrior to fall because of it's own faults. Raise to your feet Raiko, and show me that you are a dragon, not a lizard!" Even as he says that, Sheng moves in a complicated way, lowering his body and raising again, posing his hands like claws. Around the elite trooper, the now familiar green vapor begins to emanate from the ground, and quickly takes the shape of Sheng's hand. It grasps the man by the throat, and although it doesn't strangulate him, the foul vapors asphyxiate the warrior, rendering him unable to move, as he fights back the gas.
"He can't purse you now, withdraw and regain your Focus and concentration. To defeat a foe, you must be superior in mind, not in strength."
The encouraging words of the sorceror might prove inspiring, but are more like the scowling of an old master than the cheerful words a man would need in such dire situation. However, jadites have a quite peculiar honor code, and thus this might be as much inspiring as it could.

[sblock=Actions]
Thanks Mal, thanks covaithe also! I really enjoy playing Sheng.
Placed a green thingy on the goon for Sheng's effect.
Move
Stdr: Spectral claw encounter power: Hit elite guard for 9, immovilizes him until the end of my next turn.
Roll Lookup
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
With the arrows protruding from his body, Ashir's eyes are wide as dark spots appear in his vision. This was the closest he's ever been to mortal wounds and it terrified him. The genasi hurried behind Patrin, dropping down on the ground behind the dragonborn, and pulling out a small vial from his belt.

[sblock=ooc]
Standard:Second Wind - +2 all Defenses TENT
Minor: draw potion
Move: to current spot
Free: Drop prone

So hopefully he has cover from Patrin, +2 defenses from second wind, and the prone bonus should help against the archer... I hope.
[/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Ashir]
Init: +0 Speed: 6 Perception:12 Insight: 12
AC: 14 NAD:15/14/14
HP: 9/22 Surges: 6/7 Surge Value: 5 AP: 0
Languages: Common, Primordial
Str:18 Dex:10 Wis:14 Con:12 Int:18 Cha:8

Powers:
Cantrips
Scorching Burst
Thunderwave
Burning Hands
Chill Strike

Promise of Storms
Second Wind
Tome of Readiness
Flaming Sphere
Rolling Thunder

Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Raiko's eye's snap open. Lizard?! He stands up quickly letting some of his own inner strength wash over him with his allies words. Raiko knew it was hardly enough. Sorry wizard. Can't withdraw without opening myself to another attack. We can't afford to let him hit that hard again.

Raiko try's to keep his head cool however, following the mystics words. He takes advantage of the surprise gained from suddenly rising but times his swing well for prime effect. His sword cuts nearly as deep as the guards had.

[sblock=Actions]Raiko gains 6 + 3 hp. I can't wait till level 2 so I can raise my Con. I really wanted to save my lay on hands for when others needed them.
Minor: Lay on Hands, Self, 6 more hp.
Move: Stand
Standard: Valiant Strike 21 vs AC, 12 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Mal, I'm going off the assumption that we're not going to be able to regain dailies till this adventure is over, even when we level. Please correct me if I'm wrong.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Raiko, Male Dragonborn Paladin 1 ()
Init: +0; P.Insight: 18; P.Perception: 13
AC: 20; Fort: 16; Reflex: 13; Will: 14
HP: 15/25; Surges: 6 hp, 7/10
AcP: 0
AdP: 1

Skills: History +6, Insight +8, Intimidate +8, Religion +4
Languages: Common, Draconic
Str: 20, Con: 10, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Wis: 16, Cha: 12

Sling Bullets: 20/20

Divine Challenge, Holy Strike, Valiant Strike, Lay on Hands (1/3 per day)
Dragon Breath, Piercing Smite, Second Wind, Chanel Divinity (Divine Mettle/Divine Strength)
Paladin's Judgement[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Max]You regain one inspiring word for free when you spend an adrenaline surge.
[/sblock]

[sblock=New and Improved Adrenaline Surge]
I am of course still tinkering with this new mechanic of mine. As an ad hoc ruling, you also gain an adrenaline surge point when you recover from the dying condition.

Also, any expenditure of an adrenaline surge lets you regain Temporary HP equal to the highest stat bonus between STR, CON, WIS or CHA (Will or Fortitude, basically)

That would start with Max's adrenaline surge.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Daily]No, there is no way to recover daily until you take an extended rest.

If you have a daily with an 'Until the end of the encounter' effect, I will need to improvise, depending on the specifics. If it's an hostile effect against an enemy and it ends with its death, everything is fine. If it's a buff, it would probably last for three 'waves' or something like that so don't kick such an effect off too early.[/sblock]

Last edited:

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Mal, could you keep an updated version of the Adrenaline rules either in the first post, or along with the stats when you update? That would be helpful, especially since they're in flux.[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Haruka circles the warforged, whispering inaudibly as she does so. As she gets behind him, she raises her rod at his back. A jet of crimson flame blasts out from it, but the warforged jumps to the side just in time. Haruka manages to pull back the fire before Patrin is scorched.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Move to current location, retain concealment.
Minor: Curse Warforged.
Standard: Hellish Rebuke Warforged. Son of a Baatezu! Missed by one. That would have been quite a nice amount of damage.

Also Mal, I'm at 37/40+3, since I took 2 damage from an AoO last round.[/sblock]

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats]Haruka Sato- human warlock 3
Initiative: +2 | Passive perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 16
AC: 17 (19)| For: 16 (18)
| Ref: 16 (18)| Will: 15 (17)
HP: 37/40+3 | Bloodied: 20 | Surge value: 10 | Surges: 10/10
Resist: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 1 | Second Wind: not used
Basic Attack/Opportunity attack: +3 vs AC, 1d6
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eyes of the Vestige
Vampiric Embrace
Fiery Bolt

Flames of Phlegethos

Ethereal Stride

Deathcut Armor
Prison of Salzacas[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=New and Improved Adrenaline Surge]
I am of course still tinkering with this new mechanic of mine. As an ad hoc ruling, you also gain an adrenaline surge point when you recover from the dying condition.

Also, any expenditure of an adrenaline surge lets you regain Temporary HP equal to the highest stat bonus between STR, CON, WIS or CHA (Will or Fortitude, basically)

That would start with Max's adrenaline surge.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]

Thank you kind DM. Max +4 temp hp (STR) and regain an AP attack

Also, Max has used 2 surges bring his total left down to 5. I think you had him down as having six on your last update

[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
Adverse Condition: none
Initiative: +4
Max - Human Bravura Warlord
*Passive Insight 12
*Passive Perception 13
*Senses Normal
*HP 22 18 + 4 temp = 22
*Bloodied 22 Surge Value 5; Surges Per-Day 7 5 LEFT
*AC =18
*Fortitude 16 Reflex 15 Will 13 Speed 5
*action Points: 1
*Second Wind: 1
Powers
*At will:
Commander's Strike
Brash Assault
Opening Shove
*Encounter:
Inspiring Word 2
Battle Awareness
Hammer and Anvil USED
*Daily
Concentrated Attack
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Patrin and the warforged are locked in a stand still, but the dragonborn at last clears his mind from the ringing blow he suffered earlier.

The sniper and archer keep raining death but this time the heroes duck.

Back at the entrance, the elite guard snarls as he is entabgled by Sheng's magic. He manages to swing at Raiko but the paladin takes the blow on his shield.

The archer facing Max steps back and fires a bolt right to his helmet.

-''Booyah! Uh...''

Despite perfect placement he is disappointed to see the arrow bounced fairly harmlessly off the helmet, not even breaking Max's concentration.

[sblock=Actions]
Patrin
resolute shield (1d20+11=12, 1d10+6=15) miss
Increasing his HP by 2 because I forgot last round's resolute shield effect
save (probably another fail) (1d20=15) oh, wow, success.

Warforged vs Patrin
vs Patrin (1d20+9=14, 1d8+4=5) miss

Sniper vs Haruka
vs AC 17 +2 Haruka (1d20+9-2=13, 1d8+4=9)

Archer vs Haruka
1d20+9-2=11

Move:
stealth (1d20+10=19)

Elite Guard
vs AC 20 Raiko (1d20+10=18, 1d10+3=5)

Archer:
Shifts back then:
vs AC 18 Max (1d20+9=29) A crit! This allows the Archer to say: Booyah! That's about it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
Elite Trooper: 26/47 Immobilized TENT

Warforged: 22 +14 /56

Haruka: 37/40 +3 [10/10] AS 0
Max: 18 +1 /22 [5/7] AS 0
Raiko: 15/25 [7/10] AS 1
Patrin: 21/52 AS 1
Sheng 26/36 AS 2
Ashir: 10/22 [6/7] AS 0
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
Bladebearer Sharpshooter
Perception 12;
HP 31; Bloodied 15
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 12 ; see also goblin tactics
OA: none, unless short sword drawn.
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+7 vs AC; 1d6 + 2 damage.

Warforged Cultist
Perception 13
HP 56; Bloodied 28
AC 20; Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 14
Saving Throws +2 against ongoing damage
Speed 5
OA Longsword (standard, at-will)
+9 vs AC; 1d8+4 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the warforged soldier’s next turn.
Battlefield Tactics:
The warforged soldier gains a +1 bonus to melee attacks if it has an ally adjacent to the target.

Guard Drake
Perception 17
HP 48; Bloodied 24
AC 15; Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 12
Immune fear (while within 2 squares of an ally)
OA: Bite (standard, at-will)
+6 vs AC; 1d10+3 damage, or 1d10 + 9 damage while within 2 squares of an ally.

Guards (G)
Perception 11
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 14, Will 13
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
OA +7 vs AC; 5 damage. If another Guard is adjacent to the target, the target also falls prone.
Combat Advantage
The tough’s attack deals 1 extra damage to any target granting combat advantage to it.

Archers (A)
Perception 16
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 14, Will 11 ; see also mob rule
Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 15/30; +9 vs AC; 3 damage.
OA none unless they dropped the crossbow and drew a spear
Then; +7 vs AC; 2 damage.
Mob Rule:
The archer gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses while at least two other human archers or guards are within 5 squares of it.

Elite Troopers
Perception 16
HP 47; Bloodied 23
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 15, Will 14
OA Longsword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d10+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the next turn.

Dretch
Perception 11; darkvision
Sickening Miasma aura 1; each enemy within the aura takes 1 damage whenever it takes a standard action or a move action. Multiple sickening miasma auras deal cumulative damage, up to 5 damage.
HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 14; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 11
+5 vs AC; 2d6+2 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Adrenaline Rules (with even more improvement!)]

You get an adrenaline surge point when:

1 - You see a new 'wave' of opponent.

A wave being:
  1. Any numbers of new monsters including a monsters of at least the same level as the highest level PC.
  2. a number of new non-minions monsters at least equal to the number of PCs in the group
  3. twice as many minions as there are PCs in the group.

2 - An ally enters the dying condition.

3 - You recover from the dying condition.

You can amass several adrenaline points. This is a modification from the previous rules and it started with Sheng who currently holds 2 points.

Spending Adrenaline Points

It requires a minor action.

You immediately gain as temp HP the highest stat modifier from the following list : STR, CON, WIS, CHA (fortitude or will).

A leader reagain a healing word / inspiring word / majestic word etc.

Then you can choose from the following:

1. Spend a healing surge + the higher of STR, CON, WIS or CHA modifier
  2. Regain an AP an dthe right to use it
  3. Regain an encounter power
  4. Regain a healing surge (do not spend it)

[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Max looks at the archer and laughs "You're not worthy of a fight maggot. Run away while you can. Go home!." He then turns and lauches an attack of his own on the elite guard in order to assist the paladin. Scoring a minor hit on the elite guard Max yells "Let's get'm Raiko We got him now!." With Max's words, Raiko feeling revived. Max strikes again, but the guard deflects his blow.

[sblock=attack]
movement: halfway between last postition and elite guard
attack: charge the elite guard. 1d20+8+1=23 for 5 hp damage
minor: inspiring word on Raiko: 1d6 = 4 plus Raiko gets to spend a surge if he wants.

AP: Brash attack 1d20+8 vs AC = 15 miss.
[/sblock]

[sblock=states]
Adverse Condition: none
Initiative: +4
Max - Human Bravura Warlord
*Passive Insight 12
*Passive Perception 13
*Senses Normal
*HP 22 18 + 1 temp = 19
*Bloodied 22 Surge Value 5; Surges Per-Day 7 5 LEFT
*AC =18
*Fortitude 16 Reflex 15 Will 13 Speed 5