Discussion: Use of Google Spreadsheets in Place of Wiki Character Sheets

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Actually Mal, we had the defenses set up very similarly early on, so it would autofill the best modifier from the standard two. However since not everyone uses that standard, it was requested that we leave it open.

But you say the shield bonus isn't being added in somewhere?

Oh I see it. It looks like when I added the word Neck, to the defenses I had the adjust the column size and I forgot to edit the pointers. It's fixed.

-----

I have no idea if drop downs are possible. It sounds more complicated than I'm comfortable with. I'm trying to avoid a situation where the master sheet has to be modified three times a year.

For example, I am aware, at this time, there's no line for martial practices. I fully expect wizards to add a ton of stuff like that over time. As the sheet stands it would be really easy to add a line for that if it was needed.

renau1g

First Post
Also there are many more than 25 classes adding in the permutations of hybrids options right?

Oh, BTW I got PHB3 now, Chapters was carrying it so it's not just FLGS that released early.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Slight issue with copy and pasting power blocks fixed. The 1/2 level cell would try to adjust and no longer point to the correct place. I locked it with a validation.

Atriden

First Post
Hi Scorpius !

Been trying to fill out a complete character sheet but I have run into some problems. Other than that, as far as I can see, the math sections are flawless :). Here is a link to the character sheet.

Notes:

1. When I copy the powers section, for instance encounter powers table too many times, my bottom section of the character sheet disappears. Usually this includes everything from Character background and down.

2. I am still not sure how to link to xp awards, I tried to follow instructions but couldn't get it to work.

3. Equipment section does not include how much gold the character currently owns. Not that it is a problem since there is a treasure section but it would be a bit convenient if current wealth was a part of the equipment section.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
1. If you paste a power (or anything else), without first adding blank rows, you will end up copying over rows that are already in place.

2. Those rows are blank right now. DO you want to give it a try then I'll tell you whats wrong?

3. Yeah, I've just been adding a line of gold to the end of equipment so I can see my total wealth. I could add a wealth section.

covaithe

Explorer
This might have been covered in another thread / earlier, but I couldn't find it. How would one go about looking at an earlier version of a sheet? Is it possible to compare versions somehow?

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
File -> See Revision History

There will then be a drop down menu in the middle. Select a save point. The sheet will appear in grayscale and any differences will be highlighted.

Dunamin

First Post
Typo: Instruction #5 - "reccomended".

... Yeah, that's all I got left. This thing seems pretty proposal-ready, in my opinion. :)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
There's a problem with copying powers, though only some of the time. The code in place for half your level will change. Right now there's a validation in place, so if that happens a little orange box will appear letting you know there's a problem. Clicking on the cell will tell you what the box should say. People can just type it out, if it happens.

The biggest problem I see with the sheets if WoTC putting out new monk type classes, where power structure is completely changes. I'm building a hybrid cleric/monk right now and I think it's much easier to build a new power block in excel then it is to build a new wiki template.

This should not happen too often. We can help people as necessary.

I am now comfortable with this being in use.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases