L4W Discussion Thread V

twilsemail

First Post
I would say that Deadeye slinger refers to the weapon group Slings (incl Dejeda), however the rogue wouldn't be able to Sneak attack with the Dejeda as the sneak attack entry specifically names sling (the weapon, not group) as eligible. At least that's my take. A proposal might be in order...

SNEAK ATTACK
When you make an attack with a light blade, a hand crossbow, a shortbow, or a sling and hit an enemy granting combat advantage to you...

Sorry to dredge this up from a couple of weeks ago, but my curiosity was piqued while reviewing the issue. What makes "a sling" the specific weapon when "a light blade" is the group? Presumably, were there a weapon that was named "light blade" we wouldn't know if they meant the group or weapon there either.

renau1g

First Post
Well, I've looked around the interwebs and the CS response was that it was specifically the sling, however if you ask again I'm sure they'd give a different response...my rationale was that the ranged weapons were very specific in their wording so it makes sense that only those listed. It's more a problem that WotC suck with their names. Maybe in the June errata we can see something (I doubt it)

twilsemail

First Post
Would it be worth putting up a proposal saying something along the lines of "when a feat or power names an item that could either be a weapon or a group, assume the latter?"

I'm really really not fond of the overlap between weapon names and group names. There are at least 3 that I can think of (four if you count blowguns).

renau1g

First Post
So as some (most?) of you may have seen today in the Rule of 3, this month's Dragon is focused heavily on providing general Themes (4 of the 7 pay articles). When they were introduced in Dark Sun we voted to block them (appropriately titled Dark Sunblock http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/294702-proposal-dark-sunblock.html).

With the introduction of them this month for a general setting what are the judges and community members thoughts? I guess we will need to wait and see them before commenting much, but I just wanted to see people's feelings towards them (especially for those playing in DS games)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I'm not opposed to themes as a concept, but I am opposed to the non-generic themes from the DSCS. I will want to see these ones first, however.

covaithe

Explorer
From the proposal thread (emphasis mine):

The thing about themes is, that everybody in Dark Sun gets one, so if we add them here, everybody's got to get one, and not everybody's gonna have all of the access. You can run a character here with nothing but PHB1 (although I don't know that anyone does).

I'd really like to preserve this. That doesn't mean that we can't have themes, necessarily, but if themes are allowed here, and everyone gets one, then we should create a handful of setting-specific, freely available themes.

renau1g

First Post
Sure cov, although we allow Backgrounds from PHB2, which weren't in PHB1.

Same for Expertise, all the math feats from Essentials, etc. Nothing would prevent someone from making a PC, they would just lack that option.

We'd also have to check out the legal stuff surrounding publishing rules/themes outside of the GSL, plus we'd have to have some caveats in there around playtesting/erratas, etc. but I'm not opposed to them, provided we don't get Morrus in trouble.

Remove ads