L4W Discussion Thread V

treex

First Post
>No choices
>Do not want
Oh well, the things that attracted me to play Wizard/Mage at first was because it seemed like it had a lot of choices for powers. I guess the same would go for all the Arcane Classes?

I was wondering about playing a Shardmind Bard that plays tunes/songs by making the crystals vibrate and stuff. But now that I've thought about it, it's probably been done to death already (has it?)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
>No choices
>Do not want
Oh well, the things that attracted me to play Wizard/Mage at first was because it seemed like it had a lot of choices for powers. I guess the same would go for all the Arcane Classes?

The wizard has a lot of choices, the artificer rather few, and everyone else has a fair amount. Just stay clear of Essentials classes if you want choices.

I was wondering about playing a Shardmind Bard that plays tunes/songs by making the crystals vibrate and stuff. But now that I've thought about it, it's probably been done to death already (has it?)

Perhaps, but it hasn't been done here.

Pentius

First Post
If you want lots of power choices, look to classes that are both iconic, and have been out for most of the game's run. Essentials tends to fall flat here both because the builds(for non-mages) tend to be a bit preset, and they're newer. Any non-essentials Martial class will have a boatload of support, for example.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Not having a lot of powers != Not having a lot of fun, though. Keep in mind that 3.5 (and thus Pathfinder) was designed around many classes that don't do different things than each other. And people like them.

Luinnar

First Post
The fighter has tons of different builds and choices. I've had a brawler in my game that was controller-ish and a battlerager that can absorb and deal a lot of damage. My tempest fighter has great nova and multi-marking capability as well. Just be sure to stick with Combat Superiority.

renau1g

First Post
Not having a lot of powers != Not having a lot of fun, though. Keep in mind that 3.5 (and thus Pathfinder) was designed around many classes that don't do different things than each other. And people like them.

I suppose to each his own. I can't play PF (or 3.5e) after 4e and actually having options as a fighter outside of feats. I've always loved fighters, but in prior editions it was the sheet you handed the new guy until you got to "graduate" to one of teh more challenging/option heavy classes.

treex

First Post
Same for me, just went to setting to change my background.
So, about that Shardmind Bard...anyone can gimme a list of Bard and Shardmind related handbooks/magazines? It would be greatly appreciated.

Pentius

First Post
Shardminds are in Player's Handbook 3.
Bards are in Player's Handbook 2.
More Bard stuff is in Arcane Power.

More stuff is probably in Dragon, but I don't know which issues off-hand.

Remove ads