L4W Discussion Thread V

covaithe

Explorer
A quick question about readying actions in L4W pbp. Is it legal to do something like this? [...]

From what I understand from the PhB I think you're only allowed to choose one target that can trigger your readied action, but I'm being hopeful and some clarification would be nice.

Short version: IMO yes.

Long version: I seem to recall the rules being vague on exactly what you're allowed to ready and what kind of trigger you can specify. I assume that, as in so many other cases, the vagueness is deliberate, meaning "work out between players and DM what is appropriate for your group". Most DMs here seem to be pretty permissive here about what kind of trigger you specify, as long as it's not clearly over the top.

Also, I've been playing around with the idea of a Warforged Vampire. (I don't care what you say, I'm doing it as soon as I get the word that it's legal)

I have the idea that some lazy vampire nobles got around to crafting some Warforged for the menial task of hunting pray and storing blood for them. They can also accompany travelling vampires to act as a tank of reserves for the party. Soon, because of a desperate war (or some such) they tinkered around with some magic to give their Warforged abilities similar to theirs, where they can now use blood to power themselves up, because they were already suitable.

The idea is still kinda foggy but I have a nice skeleton for it. And not to mention syringes. My Warforged must have a lot of syringes. A gargantuan one attached to his arm and retractable rocket arm syringe. YEAH! And two large glass cylindrical tubes that can indicate how much he has stored, magically enforced of course, I don't want it breaking in the middle of a battle.

I'm aware that Warforged are not robots, and they are living constructs, so I was wanting so see what can work fluff-wise. All help (and flames)will be appreciated

That sounds freaking awesome. I'm picturing something like the Scarecrow from Arkham Asylum:

[sblock]
batman-arkham-asylum-20090821085125024.jpg

[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Note, that ready occurs after the action that triggered it ("It takes place after your enemy completes the action that triggers it.", so after it moves into range [but before it moves any further]) and you can only target 1 creature ("Choose...your intended target.")

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Any of our Canadian friends actually know r1 in RL (I'm pretty sure Velmont and Mal know each other, so it doesn't hurt to ask)? He's disappeared, which is unlike him.

treex

First Post
Well, in this case, I was out of range to hit anything. So I just wanted to Ready: Hit anything, as long as I hit something. As it is my illusionist does pittance for damage.

So...can Warforged have rocket arms? :D

Dekana

Explorer
We have a few PCs running around as reskinned races. As long as the mechanics are unchanged, you shouldn't have any problem changing the fluff of your warforged.

treex

First Post
Well, do vampires have ranged attacks that drain healing surges? That's the only reason I'd want one (a retractable rocket propelled syringe arm). Also, just saw the level 1 daily. Having a Warforged burst into a million robotic bats...I dunno if that's a huge stretch or just plain awesome. And syringes that pop out from the wrists like in Assassin's Creed! I can choke hold my victims while slowly draining their blood away...BWAHAHHAHAHA

Luinnar

First Post
Well, do vampires have ranged attacks that drain healing surges? That's the only reason I'd want one (a retractable rocket propelled syringe arm). Also, just saw the level 1 daily. Having a Warforged burst into a million robotic bats...I dunno if that's a huge stretch or just plain awesome. And syringes that pop out from the wrists like in Assassin's Creed! I can choke hold my victims while slowly draining their blood away...BWAHAHHAHAHA
I don't think the Vampire gets any ranged draining attacks, sorry.

Someone

Adventurer
Also, just saw the level 1 daily. Having a Warforged burst into a million robotic bats...I dunno if that's a huge stretch or just plain awesome.

I recall a warforged swarm druid in the tavern once (though I don't know if the character is still active). He did exactly that, only he could do it once per round.

Remove ads