L4W Discussion Thread V

WEContact

First Post
So I'm writing Logan Chambers' background and I'm about to bring either him or Ignatz into the tavern, but I'm having second thoughts about Chambers. Playing him as a human is the only way to get Clever Shot AND Biting Swarm AND Grappling Spirits, which is really valuable- I think he'll be a very effective controller in heroic tier. Unfortunately, he needs 18 DEX/WIS, which is barely attainable for a human thanks to our inflated point buy.

The rub is that he has no other points to spare, and the Auspicious Birth background is not allowed. He has 22 hp, 6 surges, and 16 AC. Is he too squishy? If I rebuild him as a Drow he'll have 26 hp and 8 surges, and Cloud of Darkness does double duty as a defensive utility AND a means to get the CA he needs to daze something with Surprise Strike, but he loses the versatility of being able to choose between the two Seeker RBAs when using Clever Shot. Also I'll have to find a new portrait and come up with a new background. A lot of hassle, but if he dies it's work I'd be doing anyways. What do you guys think? Is 22 hp and 6 surges too squishy when I can't be sure that I'll have a good L1 defender and leader to take care of him?

dimsdale

First Post
Situation:
In the adventure Bosch's Revenge,
Prime, a reskinned warforged fighter, is now within the necromantic aura of the dreaded lich Vlastoes.

Aura Description:
Necromantic Aura (Necrotic) aura 5; any living creature that enters
or starts its turn in the aura takes 5 necrotic damage.

Any judges care to share thoughts as to whether or not Prime takes the damage?

Someone

Adventurer
If I posted the question twice it was because we were cross-posting and I didn't see your answer in the other thread. Warforged are living constructs, so it makes sense effects that target living creatures affect them.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Is 22 hp and 6 surges too squishy when I can't be sure that I'll have a good L1 defender and leader to take care of him?

I think 6 surges 22 hp is absolutely too low. I consider 7 surges 24 hp to be the absolute minimum at level 1.

With 22 hp your surge value is 5, that means before leader healing bonuses you have 52 hp per day. with 7/24, your surge value goes to 6, so you have 66 hp per day before leader healing. It doesn't look like much but it's a significant difference, probably 1-2 extra hits a day before you run out of surges.

I only tried a 10 Con character once and regretted it. The character was always running out of surges after 1 or 2 combats.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
But then, on the boards, adventuring day doesn't last much longer then 2 encounters :) and if you get some damage mitigation (defenses, thp, whatever) or keep out of melee, you should do fine.

Or die.

WEContact

First Post
He is a ranged character who can slide+ slow or slow+prone enemies at-will- other than that, no damage mitigation. So should I scrap the character and rebuild as a Drow, or is there something I can do to boost his hp? I can't think of anything besides Auspicious Birth and Toughness, which I can't fit in til L4 at the earliest.

Son of Meepo

First Post
But then, on the boards, adventuring day doesn't last much longer then 2 encounters :)

Then the DMs are being too kind. The adventuring day is supposed to last between 3 and 4 encounters. If I had a party that tried to take an extended rest every 2 encounters, I'd make sure at least one of their rests was interrupted at some inconvenient point.

[MENTION=69684]WEContact[/MENTION]: My opinion is that it depends on your playstyle. I have played characters who had an 8 Con, starting with 20 HP at lvl 1 and they were very viable. Their squishyness was made up for by their other talents. In the case of a controller like you who can slide/push + slow at will... that's great melee damage mitigation. You won't be so squishy once you get some magic armor and a neck item. I think you'll appreciate the versatility over the extra 1-2 HP (which will be nearly negligible in a couple of levels).

Remove ads