L4W Discussion Thread V

Schiffer

First Post
Lol. I'm a big greek lore fan, but nowhere in greek lore do I recall Netari (or Poseidon) being connected to Coca-Cola in anyway. I don't even think coca-cola was invented back then.

VanderLegion

First Post
Is there anywhere outside of DDi that has a list of what sources contain information for various classes? I don't need something that actually GIVES lists of everything for each class, but it would be a HUGE help for building characters without the character builder if I at least knew what books etc to look at to find powers, feats, etc. For example the Assassin multiclass feats. I know they exist, but don't see them in Dragon 379 where the assassin was introduced, and have no idea hwere to even look for them. I THINK I found all the monk stuff I need, but I'm still deciding if I want to do straight monk and multiclass assassin to get an encounter Shadow Step or go with my hybrid monk/assassin, and would help if I could find the other assassin stuff that I KNOW exists from the character builder back when I HAD DDi.

EDIT: Nevermind, nI just remembered you can still search the compendium without a paid subscription, you just can't view the details for the results. But the list of results shows the source they came from, so it's enough for me to figure out where to look :)

Luinnar

First Post
Oh, I know it didn't pass, and I'm not wanting to start a new character at the old characters xp level. I was just looking at the example that got it started in the first place - a character at 2055 xp currently if retired and xp given to a new character resulting in the new character receiving 1027 xp, as opposed to simply retiring that character and maknig a new one at same level, which would result in dropping back to 1000 xp. But that only happens if the xp stored is based on the characters current xp amount as opposed to the amount required to obtain the current level.

It's not a huge deal to me either way, but it DOES make a level difference for one of the new characters I'd be making (As I said in the Upcoming adventure thread, I have 2 level 5 characters, want to retire one to make a new level 5 character, then retire the other and drop some levels to bump the new level 5 character up to level 6). If I were to retire Sha'kar to make the level 5, then retire Tyris and drop some levels for whatever new character I made from him, since Tyris is at 6500 xp currently, I would have to drop him to level 3 for the xp gained from it to get the level 5 up to level 6 (750 from level 3 to 4, 875 from 4 to 5, 500 from the 5500 for level 5 to the current 6500, puts me over the 2k needed to get from level 5 to level 6). If the xp banked is based on the 5500 base value for level 5, then I'd have to drop to level 2 (to gain the 625 from level 2-3 to replace the 500 I wouldn't get from benig at 6500).
I re-read the rules and it is confusing. It does sound like you can drop him down to any xp you want, as long as it is at least 1 full level worth of xp.

VanderLegion

First Post
Okay, having found Pixies, I've decided I'm going to go with a pixie monk and just multiclass assassin to get Shadow Step. The two main things I really like from assassin for the hybrid are shadow step and ghost on the rooftops. With fly speed, ghost on the rooftops becomes pretty much completely unnecessary, so I can deal with only getting shadowstep as an encounter power.

I DO have a couple more questions though for pixies. For speed, they have Speed: 4 squares, fly 6 squares. So the two questions I have:
1) For monk powers that say to move (or shift, or fly) "your speed", would that only be the 4 squares, or would the fly speed count for that?
2) For feats/items etc that give +1 speed, does that apply only to the 4 square speed, or does it apply to the fly speed also?

I'm inclined to think that fly speed counts for move speed for powers and that +1 speed should apply to both, but there's some argument on the issue and what I've seen looking around hasn't seen any definite answers. There's a thread debating it on the Wizard's community forums. Pretty sure I'm going to go with Pixie either way, but the answers to those two questions could have some effect on feats/powers I take.

EDIT: Here's a summary in favor of using fly speed and fly speed gaining bonuses from the arguments in that thread, posted another thread (specific pixie thread):

[sblock="Summary"]The argument most recently was done here in the QA forums: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

In summary, WoTC defines speed as equal to the maximum distance moved using the Walk action. The RC specifies that you can use the Walk action with any movement mode. In other words, you explicitely CAN use your fly speed when using the Walk action.

So "shift your speed," means shift the distance you could move using the Walk action. You use the Walk action to fly, so you a pixie monk is able to use their fly speed to "shift your speed."

Alcestis disagrees with this (Fitz also did 9 months ago, but didn't partake in the more recent argument on the QA forums), but most everyone else agrees (e.g., Mand, Plaguescarred, Chaosmage, Artoomis, fugacity, Warrl, myself).

If Alcestis is right, then only a Pixie's ground speed is lowered by heavy armor. You also can't charge while using a climb speed or swim speed, as charge references speed, which means ground speed.

If Alcestis is wrong, bonuses to speed apply to all movement modes, as they are bonuses to the Walk action, which can be used with all movement modes. You also can charge using any movement mode, and heavy armor decreases a pixie's fly speed by 1. [/sblock]

Also, can small creatures use slings? I would be inclined to think yes, and there's a Kobald Slinger monster that's small and uses slings, but it doesn't specifically have the small keyword like shortbows, so again, worth asking. Again, makes a difference to my build. Using a spear for Pointed Step Style isn't quite as good with a pixie since I'd have to two-hand it, so if I can use a sling for skipping stone style, I think it'd work out better.

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
I'm going to give you answers and some of them will be based on RAW.

1) Yes, because the alternative is dumb.
2) No, because I don't think anyone should spend a feat on +1 speed and I would like to discourage that in any way that I can.
3) Why did you stop numbering your questions.
4) Much harder to keep track of where I am this way oh there it is.
5) Small creatures can use slings just fine, since they are one-handed and lack the Versatile property. The Small property is only necessary on two-handed weapons I believe.
6) Pixie are Tiny and not Small, however.
7) Wait does Shrink let you wield weapons as if you were small? If that's the case your question makes more sense.

VanderLegion

First Post
I'm going to give you answers and some of them will be based on RAW.

1) Yes, because the alternative is dumb.
2) No, because I don't think anyone should spend a feat on +1 speed and I would like to discourage that in any way that I can.
It's more for the sake of items that I'm wondering. There IS a monk feat to boost speed, but not one I'm going to have a free feat to take anytime soon for it to matter there. Also, if 1) is true, that "your speed" is whatever speed you're using - ground, fly, etc - then following the same logic, speed bonuses should apply to all of them as well. One of the examples in the thread I linked is movement penalties from armor. If it only applies to ground speed, you could have a pixie in heavy armor that can only move 3 squares on the ground, but can still fly 6 with no penalty.

5) Small creatures can use slings just fine, since they are one-handed and lack the Versatile property. The Small property is only necessary on two-handed weapons I believe.
Kinda what I figured, but as I said, wanted to double check.
6) Pixie are Tiny and not Small, however.
7) Wait does Shrink let you wield weapons as if you were small? If that's the case your question makes more sense.
Shrink shrinks the target item to a size appropriate for a tiny creatures use.
Wee warrior says: When wielding a weapon of your size, you follow the same rules that Small creatures do.
So basically, no two-handers, versatile require two hands, etc.

Thanks [MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION] !! Question for you... Since the adventure ran for 2 and 2/3 months, do I earn 4 DM Credits, or 5 DM credits (or does it round up to 6?). Just need to know so I can mark it in the Wiki.

Again, Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases