L4W Discussion Thread V

Phoenix8008

First Post
I put Arshaka in for approval, but can't make it a link yet to his sheet because of the stupid broken mouse I'm using at work. I'll try to fix it once I get home in a couple hours. If anybody needs it before then, it can be searched for by name.

***Edit - Okay, got the links fixed and he's ready and waiting for approval. All the crunch is done, but I need to throw some background fluff in still.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Hi guys. Sorry I've been missing around here. I started a new job last week, and between trying to train replacements at my old job (ha!) and trying to come up to speed on my new job, I've been swamped. All is well, but I'm likely to be scarce for a while.

I am wanting to upgrade one of my character's weapons/implements. Currently it is a Challenge Seeking Weapon +1 (360 gp). I want to upgrade it to a Challenge Seeking Weapon +2 (full cost: 1800 gp).

In order to gain that, do I need to purchase the 1800 gp item and then sell my 360 gp item for 72 gp, or does L4W allow us to upgrade through NPC use of the Enchant Magic Item ritual (allowing one to upgrade an item from X to X+1 paying the difference in the costs of the two items)?

WEContact

First Post
For years I've been under the impression that that kind of upgrade is possible, but I recently looked and could find no justification for it in the rules. I haven't said anything because being able to upgrade rather than just sell off the old versions makes more sense and lets you develop an attachment to a signature weapon and rewards planning ahead.

I happen to agree with you [MENTION=69684]WEContact[/MENTION], but I'm more concerned with whether or not that kind of upgrade flies with the rules as stated for L4W, and whether or not it is 'legal' for purposes of character checking etc.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I'm not sure about self-upgrading an item like that, but I've seen (and or done) some DM upgrading by giving out as magic item earned a +2 version of an item that the character already had as a +1 and saying it has just grown more powerful.

I also would like to think that it is possible for a character to do this by themselves. Sounds like we'll need an official ruling from someone with authority to decide.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases