L4W Discussion Thread V

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
From a player's perspective, I could go either way. 5e/4e makes no difference. I've played and DM'd both, but from an infrastructure perspective, this community, the wiki, and the current house rule systems on this message board are all set up for 4e. If we decided to play 5e in this campaign setting (T.I.) then we would need some volunteer judges to go through the XP/gold system, the campaign setting, and the discussion thread to port previous house rules and rulings to 5e. While I would find that academically interesting (and perhaps, someday, it will need to be done), I don't think any of us are saying we have the time to do it.

Personally, I could serve as a moderating judge on an adventure, and maybe even facilitate and track discussions on house rulings in the discussion thread from this point forward, but I don't have the time to go back and lay the groundwork for 5e. If another forum has already done that, then perhaps that would be the place to PbP a 5e game.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I've moved on to 5E, so as much as I enjoyed the Living World here, if it's staying 4e, then I'll just have to play over in the non living world area for now. Great seeing so many people from long ago popping up though! I wish you all luck in reviving the Transitive Isles!

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Huh, apparently I'm still an "active" judge as well, lol. I could oversee an adventure like H.M. says, but I don't know about rules discussions for myself. I haven't kept up with 4e releases since I stopped playing here (don't remember if that's 1 or 2 years ago), so I'm probably pretty out of touch with the rules landscape now.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
We all are :p

Anyhow, I like the game in which players and DMs discuss the rules - there are forums that people can ask rule questions and everyone can answer. Judges were important in keeping the setting consistent, but if we're only creating one or two adventures, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I don't think there were maybe three adventures with potential to change the setting IF and only if the players failed. Which I believe didn't happen. Ever. Right, [MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION]? (maybe I get him to stop hiding :) )

I'm sure dimsdale can create good paragon adventure! More beasts to ride! More druids to rescue! More fey realms to save...erm...I've been in fey realm adventure which pettered out, why no one is ever saving various hells or shadow realms only fey? :p

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
First: Hooray for getting a game going. :) Many thanks to FourMonos!

Second: Wrapping up old/dead adventures in the interest of sweet, sweet XP and gold. I'm going to call the adventures done as of the last post by the DM that is more than just checking in, plus a week if there was player IC activity that long after the last DM post. If someone thinks I picked a bad end date, fire me a PM - I'm not trying to short change anyone! I'm going to start with time XP/gold because that's easy... I forgot there would be encounters to measure up and reward XP for, heh. I'll see what I can do with those, but I don't think I'll be able to do that estimating tonight.

Anyway, here's the list I've got, please speak up if I've missed anyone.

Illarion Miriele (@Neurotic) - Murder at Midnight and Madness at Gardmore Abbey
Murder - level 6, adventure ran 5 months (May 10, 2012 to Oct 11, 2012). 2085 XP, 3130 gp. Encounters: none. :( Finished a quick skim through Murder at Midnight, it looks like Illarion wasn't involved in the only combat that finished. The final combat was barely started, so I'm not sure if we normally would award XP for it ... (Interesting side note - I thought the adventure title sounded familiar, Tristan was in that adventure too. :)) Anyway, that's more than enough XP to get Illarion to level 7, so that's the level I will use for the next adventure's time XP/gold.

Madness - level 7, adventure ran 4 months (June 10, 2013 to Oct 5, 2013). 2000 XP, 3576 gp. Encounters: 500 XP, +100 XP minor quest.
Total XP & gold: 4685 XP, 6706 gp.

Joy (@pathfinderq1) - Madness at Gardmore Abbey
Madness - level 7, adventure ran 4 months (June 10, 2013 to Oct 5, 2013). 2000 XP, 3576 gp. Encounters: ? total rewards: 1783 XP, 2086 gp.

Drew Lucan (@MetaVoid) - Madness at Gardmore Abbey
Madness - level 7, adventure ran 4 months (June 10, 2013 to Oct 5, 2013). 2000 XP, 3576 gp. Encounters: 500 XP, +100 XP minor quest.
Total XP & gold: 2600 XP, 3576 gp.

Lilli (@Neil1889) - Shards of Eldanarth
Shards - level 7, adventure ran 9 months (June 13, 2013 to March 5, 2014). 4500 XP, 8046 gp.
Encounters:
Owlbears - 3x level 9 elites = 800 XP. (This is an estimate, and I'm very rusty on 4e. If anyone has a better guess [defences and hp can be seen here] then say so.)
Dryad's Challenge - 9x level 12 minions (525 XP), 1x level 11 solo (1000 XP) = 1525 XP. (Again, estimates. Stats can be seen here - there were 5 crushing vines in the encounter.)
Total: 6425 XP, 8046 gp.

Vermitrax (@Voda Vosa) - Shards of Eldanarth
Shards - level 8, adventure 9 months (June 13, 2013 to March 5, 2014). 5256 XP, 11394 gp.
Encounters:
Owlbears - 800 XP.
Dryad's Challenge - 1525 XP.
Total: 7581 XP, 11394 gp.

Last edited:

[MENTION=57255]Lord Sessadore[/MENTION], there was one encounter in Madness at Gardmore Abbey, I believe neurotic linked it in the tavern. Next one was only just starting (we were stealthily approaching the orc camp), but it never started. Thank you for doing this

Here is Drew Lucan, my monk. He is just above 7th level (10500 XP) so probably will not gain enough to level up. But might get enough gold to upgrade some equipment :)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Thanks MetaVoid. I'll add Drew to the list and go through the encounter tomorrow. Feel free to record the same time XP and gold as the others, as yours will be the same.

Neil1889

First Post
Thank-you so much Lord Sessadore. That'll boost Lilli to Level 8.

Lilli's ritual book may well get a little more padding (Raise Dead and Remove Affliction are strong candidates).

Remove ads