Trying to break into writing - community publishing

DA Press

First Post
Hopefully I've got the right forum. This does not feel like a marketplace request. If not, then Mods please point me in the right direction.

I bet there are a few of you out there, like me, who would love to move into a RPG writing / illustrating / cartographing (!) career but are finding it difficult to showcase your talents. With that in mind I would like to get a group together to write a document with the aim of publishing it. Those involved can then add it to their CV / resume in a professional capacity. The project would be similar to the group adventures already developed here but setting it up more like a real world project with a writer (per chapter?), illustrator, monster/mechanics developer, etc. depending on the document we finally decide to create.

My leanings are toward 4E (largest market, but crappy licensing) however the group may decide something more generic or radical is worth pursuing. I am open to proposals and indeed, we could even run with a couple of projects. The primary aim is not to make money, so a large market is not necessarily where we will end up.

I would like to be as successful as possible. If we could sell 100 units that would be great to add to the CV / resume but realistically I would be pleased with a dozen units at $2 a pop. Those looking to make money should think of this as the first step. If we do make a worthwhile profit then it will be shared amongst us all, unless it is over $10k at which point I disappear and you call in the lawyers!

Only serious replies please. I would hate to set up a team only to have someone drop out because they cannot devote the time to the project. Depending on the project I would expect to spend 2-6 months on development.

To reiterate: the objective is to have something commercial to add to the "played D&D for 20 years" currently on our CV / resumes. And of course to create a great document and make a million bucks.

Any interest or thoughts?

bySwarm

First Post
Breaking into the industry

This is exactly one of the goals of bySwarm if you are looking for an opportunity to get involved. Anyone will be able to get involved in creating an RPG product, and we'll be taking the best of the best to make final products. Any revenue we manage to make will go at least 60% back to the writers, artists and other contributors.

About | bySwarm

pawsplay

Hero
My first thought is to wonder how you would screen people interested in the project to see if they are ready to make that leap into professional design.

Ydars

Explorer
Hi Da Press,

I am editor of Ordo Draconis; a fanzine dedicated to promoting the Dragon Warriors RPG and its setting; the Lands of Legend. We also have a cordial relationship with both Mongoose and Magnum Opus Press.

We have also created a dedicated team of individiuals, some of whom, like myself, have the same aim as you. Indeed one of our artists, who contributed to the last issue, has already gained his first paid employment offer as a direct result of helping us. We have already published two issues, and have begun charging for our work, though all profits get ploughed back into the mag.

We actually stat all of our adventures and NPCs for Pathfinder RPG and are proposing to do so for 3.5 D&D in future issues.

We easily exceed 100 sales per issue and are just such a collaborative effort of writers, cartographers and artists.

If you would like to contribute the drop me a line. I can arrange for a free sample of issue 2 so that you can see if you want to join us.

The team you would be joining have been 'tested in battle' as it were and we all know each other well and know our jobs now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases