Gygax Memorial General Update

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
There's been some recent news about the Gygax memorial, although some people over here might have seen the blogs, I wanted to summarize some of it here.

The plans are still on for the memorial to be placed in Lake Geneva's Library Park. Progress is proceeding on it, it looks like the Lake Geneva town government will allow it.

To clarify a few facts about the memorial. It is not a "statue". The latest design will involve a bronze bust of Gary Gygax, with about 144 paved sq ft featuring a reflective bench. (It's hard to see in the current GMF sketch). Additionally, motifs or aspects related to fantasy such as dragons, dungeons, or the like would be incorporated into the memorial site.

One of the biggest fundraising efforts is planned for GenCon. There is a plan for an auction of much of Gary's own collection, with part of the proceeds going to the GMF. I'm not sure what is being planned to be sold--(though to clarify, because of Gygax Games being on hiatus, some people made assumptions Trigee IP would be sold, but that's not going to happen). I believe Gail is interested in what people would want. She is also interested in people making testimonials to Gary on the Memorial Fund web site, because she's been using those types of quotes to help make her case for this project.

The Gygax Memorial Fund is the only direct fund for the memorial. It is a non-profit entity and outside of paying the few accountant and legal fees (for escrow purposes), all the money will go towards funding this project.

There has been some confusion about GaryCon's involvement, which also needs to be cleared up. Anything donated to GaryCon goes primarily to finance the con, not the memorial project--only excess money goes to a fund for the memorial, and by the organizations own admission they are not working with the memorial project--they only have plans to donate when it reaches are certain point. The Con's primary purpose is to support their annual gaming convention. So you should not donate money intended to go the memorial to GaryCon, it should be donated directly to the memorial fund.

If people have more questions I'll make sure Gail bookmarks this thread.

Gygax Memorial Fund

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ironically I was just wondering how progress on this was doing just yesterday. Glad to hear it, and thank you.

maiden

First Post
Thanks John from Gail Gygax

I just want to say thank you to John for helping me get thru some of these boards as I am not good at these things. Please let me know what you would like to see sold at Gen Con as I am putting the list together. I go before the Parks Board again the 1st week in April to continue my mission of obtaining a site for the memorial. I feel very comfortable we will have a great site, Gary wanted Library Park, and well, I think we all believe he deserves to be there. Gail Gygax

grodog

Hero
I just want to say thank you to John for helping me get thru some of these boards as I am not good at these things. Please let me know what you would like to see sold at Gen Con as I am putting the list together. I go before the Parks Board again the 1st week in April to continue my mission of obtaining a site for the memorial. I feel very comfortable we will have a great site, Gary wanted Library Park, and well, I think we all believe he deserves to be there. Gail Gygax

Hi Gail---I'd be happy to help suggest possible items to sell, if you'd like to chat while I'm up at GaryCon?

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
FYI--while thinking of this, I can relay something I think a lot of people might want to bid on...

When I visited Gary the last November of his life, I remember clearly seeing in the upstairs room a framed picture of the Players Handbook portrait by Dave Trampier.

Assuming that's the original copy...hmm...I wonder how much that would go for at an auction? :)

Remove ads