Proposal: Replace Expertise Related House Rule with Feat Slot

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Yes. It's been 48 hours. Option 10 has garnered more support, therefore is the Option that passes. Everyone gets an Expertise type feat at 5th rather than the flat +1 bonus to hit that was previously. Anyone over 5th, please make the change. Murphy loses +1 to hit with his dagger :(

The down side of this is powers such as racial-granted attack powers (dragonbreath, genesai, drow, etc) have no way to get their to-hit boosted since, AFAIK, there aren't any/many ways to boost the to-hit on those.

It also increases specialization, by increasing the opportunity cost of wielding two different weapons, weapon-and-implement, etc.

Of course, either way, it's a bonus that characters wouldn't normally get, we've just switched from directly addressing WotC's admitted math error with a direct "patch", to an (free) version of their partial "patch".

Edit: What does this mean about taking other Expertise feats? Can't take any until 5? Fair game at level 1? Still can't take them?

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
More and more, I see racial powers and racial Paragon power having bonus of +3/+6/+9 instead of +2/+4/+6... maybe that could be a new proposal... but here the problem: that would mean we just changed a homebrew rule for 2 :hmm:

Edit: Example are Scion of Absence (Corrupt Genasi Paragon Path), Enemy of the Abyss (Corrupt Genasi Paragon Path), Soul of Erosion (Corrupt Genasi Paragon Path), Traveler's Harlequin, etc...

Most of the Dragon Magazine Paragon Path that appeared lately have such increase. I wouldn't be surprise to see some errata that apply to all racial and racial paragon power that correct it.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Ok, folks, for better or worse a decision has been made. Let's try it out for a few months and see how it goes, and if there are still those who feel it's not a good fit, we can discuss it then.

Let's keep this thread for questions/clarifications about what was actually decided.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Option 10 reads: "Expertise only bonus feat at level 5; no expertise feats until level 5." Note the plural in "feats". Translation: No expertise feats until level 5. Does that answer your question, Iron?

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Option 10 reads: "Expertise only bonus feat at level 5; no expertise feats until level 5." Note the plural in "feats". Translation: No expertise feats until level 5. Does that answer your question, Iron?

Ahah. Yes, I didn't check on this thread until it was 6 pages long and in skimming through it I missed that part. Thanks stonegod.

Xeterog

Explorer
As I'm new here (still waiting on the 2nd approval and an adventure to get in), I'm trying to catch up on prior discussions and such. This rule seems to have passed 3 months ago, but is not in the L4W charter sticky (or on the wikia--tho I could not find the houserules there at all).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases