I need a nice, heavy light blade ;)

Felon

First Post
I'm working on a few rogue/ranger builds. The melee one is an elf wielding light blades. I could try for a rapier in the main hand, but flavorwise I would love something a little more...slashy. Any other good decent [W] damage options for light blades? Maybe a way to turn a scimitar or longsword into a light blade? Feat? Magic item property? Paragon path?

keterys

First Post
Why does it have to be a light blade? If you're looking for ways to use rogue powers and sneak attack with heavy blades, those exist. There was a dragon article that let you use any 1-handed heavy blade for a feat.

If it's that you're trying to combine several different things, like Nimble Blade and MBAs vs. Reflex, as well, not so much.

mneme

Explorer
What's wrong with rapiers? They cut just fine.

I think you take a hit if you wield a light blade that's not a rapier -- double-sword is cheaper and Defensive, but you go down to d6. I suppose you could go with katars if you really like high crit over max proficiency/damage.

Oh, right, there is -one- option I know of for light blades with > 1d8 damage: Spiked Chain Training gets you a double weapon, both ends light blades, with reach, each end doing 2d4 damage, for your multiclass slot. That's pretty sweet, actually, given that it's a -very- nice upgrade over rapier -- .5 more average damage per W, Reach, double-weapon price drop -- it's all good, really.

Felon

First Post
Why does it have to be a light blade? If you're looking for ways to use rogue powers and sneak attack with heavy blades, those exist. There was a dragon article that let you use any 1-handed heavy blade for a feat.

If it's that you're trying to combine several different things, like Nimble Blade and MBAs vs. Reflex, as well, not so much.
Yes, partially the reason is that I am availing myself of light-blade resources like Midnight Blade combat styles. And partially it's a flavor issue. I have a lot of minis, and I try to find inspiration in some of the cooler ones.

JohnSnow

Hero
What you're after is Versatile Duelist - Dragon 381.

For one, it grants proficiency with all one-handed military heavy blades. Secondly, it lets you use "a one-handed heavy blade" instead of a light blade with any rogue power that requires a light blade. You can also deal sneak attack damage with the power.

Yes, this is better in many ways than the Eladrin racial feat Longsword Finesse (from Martial Power). How? Well, let's see...

1. You don't have to be Eladrin.
2. You can use ANY one-handed heavy blade with rogue powers, rather than just longswords.
3. It doesn't gimp your Sneak Attack damage by one die.

On the other hand, since what you want is basically a sabre, I'd suggest simply reflavoring a rapier. There's no reason it can't be slashy. You could, of course, make a new weapon, but since 4e no longer distinguishes between slashing and piercing damage, it would be statistically identical to a rapier. So just use the rapier stats and call it a sabre.

If you want different stats, the Kukri is a +2 prof, 1d6 dmg shortsword with the brutal property. The Katar is a +3 prof, 1d6, high-crit weapon. Both are superior weapons (and, yes, light blades).

Between those two, the rapier and the shortsword, I'd say the bases are all pretty well covered, statistically speaking.

Last edited:

Benlo

First Post
Heh, a Rogue using a Khopesh for Sneak Attack damage sounds pretty deadly. If you already are going to use heavy rather than light blades, and Brutal attracts you, save a feat. It's pretty superior to the Kukri.

Zustiur

Explorer
It might also be worth pointing out that rapier doesn't mean epee.
I used to think of rapiers as basically the foils used in fencing. Eventually I discovered they're much more significant blades. Albeit still long and slender.

Remove ads