Help with a Player Character Motivations Inventory

Lansolyn

First Post
Hello Everyone,

I've posted this in the D&D WoTC forums as well. My name is Rico Drake and I am a graduate student in counseling psychology. I have been a GM for 15 years and I know how helpful understanding my player’s motivations can be for running a successful game. I am trying to create a questionnaire so that players can discover their player motivation archetype (Actor, Instigator, Slayer, etc.). If you play or have played D&D complete the survey below. The survey takes about 5 minutes to complete and is anonymous. If you have any questions about the survey please email me at Lansolyn@gmail.com

Player Motivation Inventory

Why the questionnaire will be helpful when complete:

The questionnaire can help new players understand what they want to see in the game and can help veteran players make decisions about what games they want to play. I also think that GMs who understand the motivation of their players can fine tune their adventures to suit the players. I hope that through serious testing and development that the results of the Player Motivation Inventory (PMI) can be used to facilitate players finding games that match their needs. Perhaps players might even register for games at a convention based on their archetype (e.g. games might be listed as Actor, Storyteller, and Thinker oriented adventures or maybe Slayer, Power Gamer, and Thinker games).

How are you going to refine the instrument?

I intend to use a series of statistical analyses to assess the questions in the survey in order to group questions together and eliminate questions that don’t provide useful information. After analyzing the structure of the scale I will compare each person’s stated motivation. This should, hopefully, provide evidence that the results of the PMI accurately reflect a players motivation.

Last edited:

At least a few times a year, grad students stop by to have us fill out surveys. And... it never gets old. I love filling these things out! :)

Someone should do a survey about people who like to fill out surveys.

Lansolyn

First Post
Hahaha Thanks Joshua. I love taking surveys too. I still need some more people to fill it out so that I can do some data analysis.

Remove ads