Cashing in on the Dragon Type

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm playing a DragonWrought Kobold Wizard 5/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus 3 with the Greater Rite of Passage, and Improved Dragon Wings.

So, I'm a Dragon. I can Fly (better when I hit lvl 12, but I don't have to do anything else to get there than survive the things my DM throws at me) and I'm immune to magic Sleep and Paralysis.

But other than that, what can I get out of having the Dragon Type?

most of the Draconic feats kind of suck, and I'm a bit feat-starved anyway.

I thought to get some nice things from the Draconomicon, but most of the Dragon Feats run on Racial Hit Dice (which I don't have).

Any 'if you are a DragonWrought Kobold you should take THIS' pointers would be nice :)

Corsair

First Post
It rhymes with Olymorph.

Olymorph Many Robject, I believe you mean? That won't be for a while.

However the thing the rhymes with Falter Elf suddenly takes on new dimensions, as long as you stay inside 5 HD, meaning most of the smaller wyrmlings.

But it is a bit late for the main (ab)use, which is to play a venerable "Great Wyrm" kobold. You get +3 Int/Wis/Cha, with no penalties to physical stats, and you qualify for Epic feats (this last bit is actually not as impressive as it sounds, since most of the good Epic feats have other pre-requisites as well).

Nedz

First Post
Why can't he just use Oilymorph ?
Not that his type is relevant.
I take it you have Cracticed Spell Paster both ways ?
Standard Wizard/Sorceror/Metamagic feats would seem to be the best choices, or perhaps some of the Flying Feats from RotW ?
Improved Flight is probably the most useful unless you also do combat ?

Improved Flight
[General] (RotW p151)
Natural Fly Speed
Your maneuverability category while flying improves by one category.

Herzog

Adventurer
Thank you all (especially Dandu, who started it) for brightening up my morning :)

I deliberately avoided the 'Venerable DragonWrought Kobold' cheese because I considered it 'cheating' to start out at venerable age. Also, our campaigns tend to run for several in-game years, so the short lifespan beyond venerable might have become a problem. (Although it might have been interesting to play the first character in our campaigns that would have died of old age....assuming she would have survived that long!)

Polymorph/Alter self are good suggestions. I forgot about them, mostly because we tend to ignore this spell group because of the errata headaches that come with them. However, I found out last session our Psionisist (Shaper) has the psionic equivalent of polymorph, so now all bets are off.

@Neds:
Ultimate Magus has build-in Practices spellcaster (for ALL arcane classes) so no need to take that feat (twice).
I'm already considering metamagic feats (persist spell and Practical Metamagic (Persist) are on the top of my list at the moment).

The Flying Feats from RotW are a good catch! I hadn't looked in that book because it has nothing to do with spellcasting or dragons, but had forgotten about the flying race that is in there.
However, if Improved Flight is the most usefull in there, I might be done already :)

I'm also wondering what PrC/class to progress in after Ultimate Magus.
I was looking at Dragonheart Mage, for the (bonus) draconic feats, but that may cost me too much casting levels.

Any suggestions there?

Runestar

First Post
Ultimate Magus has build-in Practices spellcaster (for ALL arcane classes) so no need to take that feat (twice).

That would stack with practice spellcaster (simply apply practiced spellcaster first, followed by the casterlv increase), giving you the opportunity to really rack up your caster lv (though you are still stuck with lower lv spells).

Nedz

First Post
I hadn't spotted that feature of UM, Still Practiced Spellcaster(Sorceror) would add 1 CL at 16th and more at intermediary levels (Assuming the normal interpretation).

I don't know Dragonwrought too well.
Does Dragonwrought have any LA or Racial HD ?

The flying feats are better suited to melle character but you should give them a once over. The moster feats are probably worth a look at as well, though I doubt you'll find anything of note.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Dragonwraught is a feat chain that changes the kobold's type to dragon and adds various dragonlike benefits. The base race is still kobold with no racial HD or LA.

If you need defense there is a crazy powerful wingblock (or something like that) spell in Races of the Dragon that blocks attacks. Dragon Magic is also a good book with a number of feats for channeling spell slots into useful effects and a bunch of great spells.

Herzog

Adventurer
That would stack with practice spellcaster (simply apply practiced spellcaster first, followed by the casterlv increase), giving you the opportunity to really rack up your caster lv (though you are still stuck with lower lv spells).
:confused: It does! It stacks! (no HD/lvl restriction on the CL increase from UM!)

I can't believe I missed that.
This changes everything!
O wait. it doesn't. I'm still feat-starved.... :(
I'll take it into consideration though. Having CL 20 in both classes at lvl 16 might be more interesting than having additional metamagic feats.... or improved flight. (but not more interesting than Practical Metamagic (Persist))

Starbuck_II

First Post
I hadn't spotted that feature of UM, Still Practiced Spellcaster(Sorceror) would add 1 CL at 16th and more at intermediary levels (Assuming the normal interpretation).

You become a true dragon by taking feat (no LA). Now you can follow true dragon rules like Epic feats at vulnerable age.

Sadly without Racial HD type change no help directly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases