Thursday Knights, Live Broadcast of Actual Play

Masquerade

First Post
I spend a lot of time in commute, so I'm always looking to fill out my podcast rotation. I've only listened to the first recording so far, but this seems like one of the more fun actual play podcasts out there. Thanks for sharing your game with us!

OverloadUT

First Post
Episode 13 "Land Ho!" Audio Recording Posted

The PCs' long journey across the Sea of Fallen Stars comes to an end. Now the hard part begins...

OverloadUT

First Post
Episode 14 is now posted.

Many apologies for getting it up so late this week. People have told me that they'd much rather it go up earlier in the week so they can listen before the live broadcast. After this week, I'll be getting the episodes up much earlier.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Differences in RP style

While the play style of your group is very different from the ones I have experience in -- there is one difference which REALLY stands out to me from watching your sessions.

90-95% of the time, all of the players refer to their characters in the third person.

"So and so says", "he says","she walks over and"...

I have never, ever seen this at our table -- or at any other gaming group or even at a Convention pick-up game. Our groups always refers to their character in the first person. The reference is "I", always "I".

The only "he says/she says" comes from the GM.

Is there a reason your players play in this style and has your group tried playing with "I"?

OverloadUT

First Post
Episode 15 "The Philosopher's Temple" Audio Recording Posted

The PCs have finally reached the Philosopher’s Temple, but the answers they get there are unsettling.

OverloadUT

First Post
While the play style of your group is very different from the ones I have experience in -- there is one difference which REALLY stands out to me from watching your sessions.

90-95% of the time, all of the players refer to their characters in the third person.

"So and so says", "he says","she walks over and"...

I have never, ever seen this at our table -- or at any other gaming group or even at a Convention pick-up game. Our groups always refers to their character in the first person. The reference is "I", always "I".

The only "he says/she says" comes from the GM.

Is there a reason your players play in this style and has your group tried playing with "I"?

That's really interesting! I had never really given it much thought, so I asked one of my players who has been playing the longest. He said that he has always done it this way, and he finds that it works better for him to really get in to his character. By explicitly separating metagame talk and in-character talk, he can really focus on when it's his character speaking and avoid the inevitable ambiguity that can come from speaking in the first person.

I imagine the other players mostly picked it up from him, since he was the biggest proponent of real deep role-playing when we first started this campaign.

The ironic thing is that this style is actually great for us because of the show. I imagine in the audio recording it's nice that everyone speaks in the third person; otherwise the only way to know who is talking would be to know the voices, which would make it harder to get in to.

Remove ads