Need Help with Portal

brunswick

First Post
Hello all,

I need some assistance with a part of my Campaign story.

First off though, I just want to put it in context.

Basically, you have this ancient being (who is thousands of years old). He isnt evil, per se, but he has become somewhat 'unhinged' and his ultimate goal is to turn the world into a vast desert. He is the main 'baddie' in the campaign.

More recently, about 500 years ago the human Empire of Nerath was born (on a different continent to the one the player characters currently occupy). When the 'princess' Augustine, a powerful spellcaster, was passed over for Empress when her father died (that honor was given to her younger brother), she swore vengeance and headed off into ancient ruins in the desert in search of artifacts/treasures of her ancestors. She found items which belonged to the 'ancients' and, not fully understanding how these worked, she inadvertantly turned huge parts of the continent to inhospitable desert, in her (semi successful) attempt to create an army of 'sand warriors'. She also started, slowly, to transform into a Lich.

The Emperor and his people abandoned the continent after the Empires Navies found other, more hospitable, continents to the far west of the original continent.

The Lich (being effectively controlled by the 'ancient') has vowed to destroy the Empire, even though it now resides on another continent and the 'ancient' still wants to transform the new continent (and the rest of the world) to desert also. To effect their desires, the Lich/Ancient need to get their 'sand warriors' to the new continent BUT the creatures cannot pass beyond the 'barrier' of the sea. To allow the Sand Warriors to enter the continent where the Empire now resides, the Lich/Ancient wish to repair an ancient, but broken, portal and they have their followers (creatures that have joined their cause on the new continent) searching for some lost artifacts that they need to fully repair the broken portal.

So, I'm trying to come up with some sort of combination of items that the bad guys are looking for. Stuff that fits with the overall story. Ideally I dont want just a random "shopping list" of items but a list of items that fit together in some logical way to fix/open the portal. I'm currently running the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure and the cultists in the scenario are basically allied with the Lich BBEG. The 'mirror' that the cultists recover in one of the encounters is going to be one (the first) part of the overall list of items that the Lich/Ancient need. The thing is, I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a logical combination of other things I can throw together that can logically fit with the mirror as being relevant to the plot.

Any suggestions?

Bruns.:)

Gilladian

Adventurer
Sounds like a fun adventure!

Maybe they need two mirrors, that will be mounted facing each other somehow. The forever-reflected images could form the portal tunnel.

The mirrors need something to be mounted in. Perhaps raw ore needs to be collected, refined, smelted, and forged into special clamps and rods to hold the mirror(s).

There needs to be a control panel. Maybe some sort of specialized enchanted crystals are needed to interface with the mirror(s) and tune it/them to the proper setting so the portal connects properly (doesn't go to the wrong place?).

And there should be some kind of power source. Does the portal run on soul energy? Solar power? Crystal batteries? Once you know the answer to that question, how the power is transmitted to the portal is another issue.

Hope this helps!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Some ideas can come on views of portals.

• Walkways - this is an old idea, where portrals open up to a hallways that connect to other portals. This means those entering have to know where they are going and have a key to open the portals. Map and Key needed but many doorways have guards that have to be bypassed.
  • Places of Power - Part of Ley Lines, rituals open these portals and travel to other places of power because possible. These are your stone circles and you need to know a ritual and both sites have to be in good repair.
  • Devices of Power - like places of power but smaller in scale. You have to have a controlling console, know how to use it, the device in working order, and a power supply. Think Stargate.

brunswick

First Post
Thanks 'Hand of Evil'.

Just to elaborate, if I may.

Re the followers pursuing the 'portal' pieces, at the moment the 'Ancient' has as his alliance:

(a) The 'Empress' (Lich), who has been promised followers from Orcus if she aids the Demon Lord. Orcus himself has been promised help by the 'ancient' in discovering the name of the Raven Queen in return for his aid.
(b) The Winter Fey - The Prince of Frost desires to cover the world in an ice-age but the world covered in desert isnt a bad start.
(c) The followers of Tiamat-I'm kinda iffy abut this one but the 'champion' of Tiamat in the alliance is a Dragonborn who desires to see Arkhosia reborn (his deity has promised aid) and Tiamat will gladly take aid from the Ancient in trying to deal with Bahamut eventually.

The overall campaign story is still in development stage but I'm picking up some great ideas. Thanks! :)

In Roman myth, the god Janus was the doorways. Maybe your campaign has a similar god, spirit, or celestial being. The bad guys have to obtain something precious to the patron being, as well as something that hides their true nature. Without the consent of the patron, the portal will never open again.

To make it more complicated, add in rare materials to fix the doorway, make it so that the portal was originally destroyed for a very good reason that must be overcome, and/or make it so the big bads have to trap the patron being to prevent the portal from being closed again.

If you really want to screw with your players, have them be unwitting pawns at some point of the big bad. Set them up with a Xanatos Gambit, i.e., a scenario where the big bad wins no matter what happens -- either the PCs succeed in accidentally aiding the villain, or they are eliminated as threats when they fail.

Allegro

First Post
How about 100 identical twins need to sacrificed on the second moon of the month? One twin on each side of the portal in some dark ritual.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases