Discussion - New Wiki site

renau1g

First Post
So, the EnWiki's down right now and if it comes up I feel it may be time now to move off-site. Wikia seems like a good site (I'm no programmer, but the templates at least somewhat work).

Someone (JNC? Scorpius?) set up a test wiki a while ago and here's the link:

L4e test Wiki

What are everyone's thoughts? I think timeliness is of the essence if it comes back up.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I didn't set it up. I can't remember who did. I actually prefer wikidot.

However, this has actually been tested. There's obviously been some ongoing site changes over the last day or so and I am eager to get content somewhere safe.

Wiki has been tested for our content. I say lets start porting things there.

LadyLaw

First Post
I think if you have someone who knows what they're doing that can set it up and host it, you're golden. I also think that if you have that, you should just get a mediawiki since you can do just about anything with it.

I went to a meeting regarding the use of MediaWiki this past week actually (this is the same free software that runs wikipedia in case anyone was unclear on that) and it seems easy to modify and deal with if you have the time. From what I understand, there's a crazy amount of help out there for it as well, and since Wikipedia uses the same setup, much of the how-to can be found via that resource.

There are many add-ons that make all kinds of things possible, including rich text format editing (which makes some things look a little easier for people familiar with MS Word but not with wikis).

Just tossing that out there.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
MediaWiki is what the old wiki uses (and thus us). However, we don't have control over what MediaWiki extensions wikia uses (I believe).

LadyLaw

First Post
I doubt you can control wikia, but you never know. I know mediawiki is what we have now, but I don't know what the plans were to move to a new wiki. If someone had a place to host it or if you (collective) were planning to use some sort of free site. I know in this day and age many people have websites, so in theory someone could have a place to host such a thing. I was typing when Scorp posted, so I didn't see his response before responding myself.

Anyway, just disregard everything I said, since it seems like you're looking for a free site. The only free site I have any experience with is wikispaces, and I don't know if that would accept the current code. I only used it with rich text editing.

garyh

First Post
I heartily endorse continued use of a Wiki. Whatever happens with character sheets, world info has to go somewhere, and Wikis are MUCH better than a bunch of random threads in the forum.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Wherever it goes, someone (maybe Dimsdale, self appointed archiver) should regularly copy CONTENT not LINKS of the pages to some out-of-site storage (maybe his own local hard disk? - it's text mostly and space considerations would be fairly small)

NOTE: obviously, threads are harder to backup and that should be, IMO, talked about with enworld leadership.

Remove ads