Discussion - New Wiki site

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Alright I found my cached CS's and will be porting them to the new wiki tonight. I'd also like to use the spreadsheet method.

Anything I should be aware of with the new wiki, or with the spreadsheet? Which will be easier to link my experience and such.
Every character needs a wiki page. Spreadsheet is for mechanics.

Dunamin

First Post
Alright I found my cached CS's and will be porting them to the new wiki tonight. I'd also like to use the spreadsheet method.

Anything I should be aware of with the new wiki, or with the spreadsheet? Which will be easier to link my experience and such.
Well, if it helps you can take a look at how I did it with Woe and Rhole - I put the XP links in the spreadsheet to keep all the numbers in the same place. As always, however, setting up sheets is a matter of personal preference. :)

weldon

Explorer
I sent a request to Wikia to enable the DPL extension on l4w.wikia.com. I am going to create a dynamic character status page that pulls the class, level, location, etc. from the character sheets. It should result in a completely automated character status page (as long as users keep their character sheets up to date). The advantage is that players will only need to update status info in one place.

weldon

Explorer
I actually got pretty far on this tonight. Here is the dynamic Character Table. It pulls character name, player name, class, race, and level from the existing template values. To get status, location, and notes you will need to add the Status template (which I created today).

You can check Finnian for an example of the new status template in use.

Would love to get some feedback on this.

The only feature that is not implemented is the column for "Approved?" that is in the existing Character Status page. I'll look at it tomorrow to see what can be done.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
That's pretty neat. I assume you're pulling the information from the summary at the top of most people's pages.

The only problem with that is that people are beginning to use the google spreadsheets instead. As we see more people level up I think we'll find more summaries going away.

It'll still be a smaller percentage, but it's whole rows missing. On Finnian's page you have the status box, which it seems everyone will need to have for this to work. Is there a way to add sources for the other things as well there? That way if people don't have a summary the way have a way to be counted.

weldon

Explorer
That's pretty neat. I assume you're pulling the information from the summary at the top of most people's pages.
Exactly.

The only problem with that is that people are beginning to use the google spreadsheets instead.
My understanding is that characters will still need a wiki page with the summary section (character template) even if they use the google spreadsheet for the math section. So every character in L4W should have a wiki page with this information.

On Finnian's page you have the status box, which it seems everyone will need to have for this to work. Is there a way to add sources for the other things as well there? That way if people don't have a summary the way have a way to be counted.
The status template (which is being used on Finnian's page) is there because the entries for things like status, location, notes, etc. have to exist somewhere on the wiki page. We can add more entries to the table, but they have to be on the wiki page (i.e., we can't pull from a google spreadsheet).

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Your understanding is incorrect. While all characters need a wiki page, people are not required to keep a summary there. That's why Rhole and another (not looking at it now) are not pulling the all the information.

If we can add more entries to the new table, I think that would be good. That way people could choose to use it, instead of filling out an entire new summary (Theres already a summary for them to use on their spreadsheet).

renau1g

First Post
I'm thinking we should require it...the excel doc is only supposed to be for the math, it's not a replacement for the CS.

Remove ads