D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 - Lycanthropy

Crownless King

First Post
alright first of all, the information im using is from

Savage Progressions: Ghost and Werewolf Template Classes

ok, is there a way to get around the whole "Permanent" alignment thing, cuz we got a B***h A** pally in our group who would jump at the chance to kill an evil creature (or at least try to) so that wont fly very well... Also is there anyway to get around alignment penalties/prerequisites in general?

next, is there a way to get around the level adjustment of 2 or is there a better subtype/race that a person can become that has a lower LA and is cool, and is strong?

Thank you very much for any information you can give, and if possible could you let me know the full name of the book that the information is from? thanks again

Crownless King

First Post
also for the other races/subtypes with lower LA, can you list ones that a human can become? like the werewolf and other things that dont require you to be born like.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
The alignment is purely a flavor thing. For example, the Forgotten Realms has Chaotic Good werewolves knonwn as Lythari. No game mechanics changes, just a simple note that they have a different alignment.

Dragonwriter

First Post
LA is part and parcel with the template. But also remember, you are getting the animal HD with the template, which counts up into your ECL as well.

As for getting rid of LA (from race or template), there is this possibility, though it takes time and XP.

If you want a lower ECL, go with an animal type that has low HD (little snakes, rats, etc.) and try to use the variant I linked.

If you're using that savage progression, then you really can't avoid the LA, as they count as standard levels.

(The book that webpage references is Savage Species, while my link comes from Unearthed Arcana/SRD.)

Magesmiley

Explorer
Dragon #313 has a level progression for the various were creatures in the Monster Manual if you can manage to get ahold of a copy of it. it still includes the LA, but you can take it as part of a progression rather than all at once.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Could you tell me more about these Lythari? like for instance is there a werewolf lord version, or something?

While I'm not a FR expert, there could be something similar. Since, if you look closely, the Werewolf Lord is really a 10th-level Human Fighter + Dire Wolf lycanthrope template.

Alignment is also a personal flavor thing. For example, in a PbP game I started recently, I allowed Lycanthrope characters and basically threw their MM alignments out the window. I'm also a fan of the occasional LN or LG Kobold.

But that's me. I like throwing oddball character concepts out there and messing with the alignment system.

But even if you play as close to by the book as you can, page 305 of the Monster Manual 3.5 (Chapter 7: Glossary) says that even with "Always" certain rare or unique members of a given race could be a different alignment.

Remove ads