What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore EroGaki

How useful are druids in deserts?

This came up last week as we were gaming. Many of the druids spells are plant based or designed to manipulate plant life; in fact, many of a druids special abilities seem dependent on plants and/or woodland areas. With that in mind, how useful are druids in desert settings, or for that matter, any area other than forests? While I'm not claiming that no plant life exists in deserts, it tends to be a bit scarce.
    Enemies are the price of Honor.
    ~Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander, Wizard of the First Order

Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally.
    ~Darth Maul

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.
    ~Yoda

I don't want the Tyranny of Fun to become one of PF RPG's design principles. That's 4e's province, and I'd happily leave it that way.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore WanderingMonster
    My communities:

They're useful for stupid Star Wars jokes:

"Look sir. Druids!"
    ========================================
    Visit my animation blog at splineflu.blogspot.com
    Visit my school at AnimationMentor.com

========================================
    *Tips hat to Gary *

Scout (Lvl 6)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore humble minion
    From a purely 3.5 perspective there's quite a lot of spells in Sandstorm the make the druid pretty handy to have around in a desert. And anyone who can cast Create Water and Endure Elements is bound to be pretty popular.

But you're generally right - the druid spell list largely assumes Generic Temperate Quasi-European Fantasy World, and isn't really optimised for desert (or arctic, or deep-sea, or high alpine, or airborne) conditions.

As a GM, if no other sourcebooks were available, I'd certainly consider allowing a druid PC to use 'reskinned' versions of spells such as entangle that operate using sand rather than vegetation - obviously such a spell would have to be memorised separately from the regular plant-based variety.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Runestar
    My communities:

Druids can still wildshape, spontaneously summon animals and have a decent list of buff/blasting/healing spells. I don't think the loss of plant control spells will have any real impact on their effectiveness.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore cmrscorpio
    How effective is a druid in the desert?

It depends on what the DM and the group thinks a desert is. The archetypical desert of nothing but sand dunes is relatively rare in the real world. Take a look at pictures of the American southwest. Plants remain plentiful in most arid regions, especially plants with thorns and twisting vines, which is the bread and butter of the druid's plant-based magic. True, there aren't many trees, but there are lots of low-growing plants such as grasses, shrubs, and flowers.
    "The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want for nothing. He makes me lie down in the green pastures. He greases up my head with oil. He gives me kung-fu in the faces of my enemies. Amen." - Tom Cullen

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Nymrohd
    Quote Originally Posted by humble minion View Post
    From a purely 3.5 perspective there's quite a lot of spells in Sandstorm the make the druid pretty handy to have around in a desert. And anyone who can cast Create Water and Endure Elements is bound to be pretty popular.

But you're generally right - the druid spell list largely assumes Generic Temperate Quasi-European Fantasy World, and isn't really optimised for desert (or arctic, or deep-sea, or high alpine, or airborne) conditions.

As a GM, if no other sourcebooks were available, I'd certainly consider allowing a druid PC to use 'reskinned' versions of spells such as entangle that operate using sand rather than vegetation - obviously such a spell would have to be memorised separately from the regular plant-based variety.
    Sandstorm does not just have desert druid spells but also describes desert druids cultures, especially the Bhuka.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Celebrim
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by cmrscorpio View Post
    How effective is a druid in the desert?

It depends on what the DM and the group thinks a desert is. The archetypical desert of nothing but sand dunes is relatively rare in the real world. Take a look at pictures of the American southwest. Plants remain plentiful in most arid regions, especially plants with thorns and twisting vines, which is the bread and butter of the druid's plant-based magic. True, there aren't many trees, but there are lots of low-growing plants such as grasses, shrubs, and flowers.
    This.

I think the question you are really asking is, "How effective is a druid in an erg?"

The answer is, "Probably less effective than they are when they are surrounded by vegetation, but still effective." My response questions would be, "Does every class need to be equally effective in every situtation?", and, "Given that Druid is considered by many to be the strongest class in the game, isn't it ok if the Druid is minimally less effective in some relatively rare situations?"
    Shameless plug for my current Enworld project. Learn more than you ever wanted about the Slaad Lords here.
    New updates semi-regularly. Please stop in. Feedback, positive or negative, much appreciated.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Ahnehnois
    My communities:

If you have Sandstorm: switch out some class features, pick up some great spells and a desert animal companion. You're just as good (if not better) than a core druid in the woods.

If you don't: avoid plant-based spells (and Call Lightning) and make sure your animal companion can handle the weather. You're maybe a tiny notch down from a core druid in the woods; remembering that druids are the most powerful class you're still pretty useful.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Rechan
    Quote Originally Posted by humble minion View Post
    Or UNDERGROUND.

Considering how much stuff takes place in dungeons and the underdark, there's no spells that work underground except the few Stoneshape/spike spells out there.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore StreamOfTheSky
    My communities:

In general, I think Druids should be more useful in areas where the terrain or natural elements or more dangerous or deadly. With Sandstorm, Druid's pretty good in a desert. Without it, he can at least keep the group hydrated and not suffering from heat stroke. The core spell list is pretty limited, though, not in a power way, more of a "why are druids only familiar with forest terrain?" kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rechan View Post
    Or UNDERGROUND.

Considering how much stuff takes place in dungeons and the underdark, there's no spells that work underground except the few Stoneshape/spike spells out there.
    Call Lightning works underground.
    My Ninja class Fighter Variants Monk additions
    Good defense of 3E mechanics

Spoiler:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/goldeneaglecleaners

My online gaming group, Torch of Spirit (Contains all information for the current game I'm co-DMing as well as lots of houserules I'm using or considering for the future. Feel free to check it out.)

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast