Group Dynamics for Choosing the Game You Play - How does your group do it?

innerdude

Legend
I'm curious how everyone's group dynamics work when it comes to choosing / switching from their current RPG to a new one.

Is it typically a consensus? Is it driven primarily by the current (or soon-to-be) GM? How much input do the players have on what's coming next? Do players/GMs just get bored with the system?

I know for the one main group I played with for many years (almost exclusively D&D 3.5, with two tiny, short-lived forays into GURPS 3rd Edition and D20 Modern), the one guy who was the primary GM seemed to be the driving force for what we played. If he had a campaign idea, most of us just generally went along with it ("You're all goblins living in the jungles of Chult").

But some of this is just due to the personality of this particular guy. He's a classic type-A, sees himself as kind of being "in charge," and mostly just seems to think (rightly or wrongly) that most of his ideas are the most fun--and even if they're not, he's the GM, so what he says goes.

Some of you would probably say, "Screw that guy!" but oddly, our group hasn't really been all the worse for it. Most of our group is pretty hardcore into the character-driven story and campaign aspects of roleplaying (with one lone power gamer being the exception), and so most of the time as long as the campaign sounds interesting, we go for it.

S'mon

Legend
Person says "I'm going to run X - who wants to play?" and players sign up - or occasionally not. :)

The Meetup I attend can host 8 games over a 2-day weekend so there's plenty of opportunity for everyone to GM and to find a GM suitable to their play style.

Re home games, the normal approach IME is still for the GM to propose a game and recruit players. Making someone GM something they're not that interested in doesn't work well. I don't even see much group campaign creation where the GM solicits input into what the players want to see in the campaign.

Chrono22

Banned
Banned
Most recent game -
P1: Hey I saw your PbP, and realize I'd like to give DnD another chance.
Me: Ok, but let's see what P2 thinks about that. He doesn't like DnD much.
P2: I don't want to play DnD, but I like mystery, got any ideas?
Me: Call of Cthulu should be right up your alley! Investigative horror mysteries abound.
P1: I don't really want to learn a new system. How about using the system you are working on?
Me: Ok. 1936 New York here we come!

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, my group plays D&D exclusively, so this does not really come up.

For choosing campaigns it is a bit of a collaboration between the three of us, with the DM getting more weight, but altering some things by what the other players want to try.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My group is happy with 3.5e, but within that, when I am thinking about a new campaign, I usually run a couple options by the group. Last time, they had to choose between

1. Ptolus
2. My homebrew world in a region where the politics of war play an important role in the setting.

They chose Ptolus, and we're probably 1/3 of the way through that campaign. When we go on to the next campaign, they'll get to choose either

2. from above
3. Wilderness/dungeon in a new region of my homebrew, using Dungeon-a-Day
4. Kingmaker, either as-is in Golarion, or transplanted to my campaign world, depending on what I think when I read it.

Greg K

Legend
Someone says, "Hey, when this campaign is over or the, current, GM needs a break, I would like to run "x". If people are on board we give it a try. If not, we don't.

This has stopped us from playing an espionage campaign in the past, because three of the players did not want to play in an espionage game with some of the other players based on how they play their characters in other games.

On the other hand, sometimes everyone except one person wants to play a particuliar genre (e.g, Supers) and one person does not. That person may sit out and we include the person during other things until that campaign is done, they get interested and join, or we start something new.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Someone (usually me) says, "I'd like to run X." Everyone else says, "sure." As long as X is some form of modern D&D campaign or a short arc of non-D&D I don't ever envision the others saying "no." Everyone in our group was given the opportunity to keep 3.x goin for us, but no one was willing to step up. Now that we switched to 4E, someone else has stepped up to run WotBS 4E so I can play. We switch off between that and my WotC adventure campaign. I'm planning on starting a third concurrent campign, converting Rise of the Runelords to 4E.

Remove ads