[pfrpg]

ghostcat

First Post
Sir Angus would really like to use Cyan. However, this is quite close to rangerjohn's Deep Sky Blue. So if this is going to cause confusion, I could go to Magenta.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Summoner: I like it. I'm worried it'll be like Skull from Pvponline (Scott Kurtz), or what have you. That might work, though, from an RP point of view.
suggestion, while bouncing ideas: what if we went more bloody with the Eidolon, and younger with the summoner? Like, the Summoner is a kid and the Eidolon is his/her imaginary best friend (who kills things and eats people)? I picture the Troll as a big, blue giant with a long grey beard and horns of some sort. Ever see the White Wolf game 'Changeling: the Dreaming"? The Trolls were the big, honorable warriors.
Another option: what if you went with a bloodthirsty mastodon-creature? Like Mr. Snufflupagus, but if he was in Robert E. Howard? What would *that* be like, eh?
The potential for the class is that you can have creatures like out of an S&S story, or out of a Conan comic, or what have you. I just finished reading the Mignola issues of the Busiek/Dark Horse Conan series, and there's a massive frog that eats him, twice. Other issues have giant snakes, as well as a weird elephant-man-sorcerer-butterfly, blue behemoths... it's fun stuff.

Just so you know, I don't mind whatever you go with (so long as you like it enough not to vanish without saying so). I want my players to be happy, ultimately, and get along. I can for sure be draconian, but I prefer to go with honey first. That said, yeah, I should voice my opinions now: honesty is a good thing.

Hmm. Seems like my source material is quite a bit different than yours. I didn't know who Skull was until I looked it up (and not having read much of it I don't really have much sense of the character), haven't read any Conan (though I have read the Solomon Kane stories), and never played Changeling.

As for the alternate ideas, I don't think I could pull off 'kid' for any length of time. The eidolon is trollish so is already going to be a bit bloody. But he's also crafty and capable outside of a fight. So the big honorable warrior type would work. The mastodon idea is interesting. I had originally considered a grizzly-type beast but ultimately discarded it in favor of a more humanoid form. Part of the idea is that Sindri isn't (or wasn't) really all that capable on his own and Jack more or less kept him alive until he became a little more capable. For some reason I felt hands necessary. I also considered the serpentine form and a sort of frost wyrm idea. Sadly, I have to choose one base form permanently and only get to make changes to abilities when I level up unless you are willing to work up or allow me to work up the transmogrify spell that was mentioned in the Summoner write-up but not released yet. Anyway, I guess when it comes down to it I would prefer to use the troll idea (it has the advantage of already being worked up so I can concentrate on finishing the little details that I haven't quite polished off yet), the goblin idea, or the wood/white/hollow woman idea that gets its basis from myth but which I can't seem to find online anywhere atm. My only worry is if we do continue past this adventure and end up in a civilized area I'll have to either disguise or do without Jack for long stretches of time.

Oh yeah, color options: Sindri and Jack.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Dark Red for Julius, and by Alchemists fire I meant in terms of rules, not as in "it's Alchemists fire" and I can drop the houses of raiders thing, I was just considering it along the lines of Eye-for-an-eye, as they burned down his house, but that does get pretty close to evil...

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
is recruitment closed? I had a thread fold. This being Pathfinder, it is my prferred gaming system. I thought I saw a need for arcane support.

fireinthedust

Explorer
In terms of the way I wrote the background, it was an attempt largely to tie us all together in the narrative, to help create that cohesive element that binds the group together before we start. Without that, there are a couple of PCs who don't seem to immediately fit the group dynamic, but if we handwave a little of our past history, then that is more easily glossed over.

I've always wanted to start a campaign with (even level one) characters returning from the four corners of the earth to an Inn on a particular day, the way they did in the first Dragonlance book (the one folks should read, even if they hate the setting).
If, of course, we assume that even low-level characters are more experienced/adventursome than 99% of the world's population.

I think we can go back and make up our history if we feel like it, but it's not 100% necessary.

The witch telling the tale - if it wasn't clear to anyone else - is the same Hag who set Keepiru on his path. I was (hopefully) giving the GM an opportunity to have her appear in the game if you want; and now there is a Witch class in PF, how can you resist ;)

I didn't pick up on that, but I do like it! And the new class is so flavourful. I wouldn't mind making up stats for, say, Baba Yaga using it. I know some RL people who might enjoy it also, in fact...

I hope I didn't offend anyone by using that device - if so, I apologise unreservedly. It was no more than a hook, and I realise the potentially unpleasant connotations to it.

Meh, we'd have to get rid of half-orcs if we were that offended. Just ruminating off the top of my head. Diving in, it could be an interesting point of character, as it were.

Having recently been reading Robert Jordan's 'Conan Chronicles' I'm rather familiar with that particular trope.
no problem.

Ah, RJ's take on Conan!

As far as race goes, the character was written for another game that didn't come off. When I jumped into the recruiting thread, the question of everyone being male and human had been raised, so it offered some diversity. Race is the least part of the concept though, it works equally well in my mind as a human so I have no issues changing that. The extra feat and skills will be welcome, and I can re-work the stats to reflect the different modifiers.

That could be good. Skipping the Trope aspect, which I understand; I wasn't thinking that particular trope (awesome though it may be), but I humbly suggest a human female. The trope is fun, but my experience of Conan was that the women had less going on upstairs than our monk/fighter likely does. Excepting specifically Red Sonja, and other warrior women who tend to have nothing to do with the other kind of "action". I'd only really be able to stand such a character for so long before banging my head against the monitor (likely after the first "don't ask me, I'm just a girl")

There's a lot going on for humans in Pathfinder, so *if* you opt for this, it would be good. In this case, I think a human female would just be able to... do more than a dwarven female. At least with this concept.

Glasseye: Honestly, most of that was questioning what you may be thinking. I don't mind one way or the other, really. As long as you don't say "half-jack and celestial dire boar: I choose you!" whenever you summon, I think you're great.

And I heartily recommend the Conan Comics by Darkhorse. really good title. The art, by Cary Nord, is some of my favourite art out there. The books themselves are just plain fun also.
In fact, if you get a chance, look up Mike Mignola's take on "Fafrhd and the Grey Mouser" (spelling?). It's one trade, and covers the Lahnkmarr stories really well. Great art, and the stories really inspired the Pathfinder designers. Also folklore and history across the board.

grufflehead

First Post
@FitD - I've made the changes to human and updated my character profile in this thread - I've also posted my first action in the IC thread (along with a couple of others).

It may just be the weekend, but not all of the players have posted there yet. We've had another request to join (see above) so if anyone drops out, I've gamed with Scott before and he is always a good addition to a group and very reliable for posting if you want a replacement.

@SdW - if you get in, so far we have a Summoner and a Sorceror so arcane is pretty well covered; but then we have a remarkably good mix of classes so no outstanding areas of deficiency I can see.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Since this is pathfinder and there are different flavors of scorcerer, I was contemplateing a celstial scorcerer / fighter headed toward eldrich knight.

as a bit of background, maybe there was a fallen deva who doubeted its orders and hid in shame on teraprime here. the trasition through the planer boundries left him weak for a period, was found by a ranger in the woods, she fell in love and (yada yada yada) *poof!* here is my character in the flesh, young and full of himself.

fireinthedust

Explorer
let's see if someone doesn't post, but yeah. I don't know that Deva are in PF, but Aasimar are common enough (well, as common as they ever might be).

We've got a Cleric, a fighter, a rogue/assassin, a sorcerer, a summoner, and a monk/fighter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases