[pfrpg]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Just have a moment to post atm but I agree with pretty much everything Grufflehead said in his last post. And concerning characters, if you have qualms FitD, I'd rather hear about it now than later. I think my character is a bit more wahoo than the others but if he doesn't fit the style then I can always set him aside for another game and use another concept.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
do you mind if my charachter has a few "molotov cocktails" oil in a bottle with a rag on the top, he would have used them to burn down the houses of the previous raiders, and would plan to use one to burn down the living place of the other.

I treat them as alchemists fire in my games.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Qualms: Other than the Inquisitor concept, I'm fine. I don't know that the City deity is going to come up much. In fact, it might be better for the cleric to be of a goodly deity. Sarenrae and Iomedae (away from books, forgive me) are great choices, simply because we'll be in Lastwall for the current adventure, and far from major cities (though come to think of it, Korvosa and Magnimar aren't far away).
I also wonder what the point of Inquisitor is, for a PC party. I mean, normally one would think you're running around searching for heretics; or torturing heretics; or torturing other enemies of the faith. What does that do for the adventuring group? Why are you in the "band of brothers"? With, I might add, a Desna Cleric, two Ulfen barbarians, one of whom summons monsters.

Grufflehead: intense back story, and interesting twist on introducing a character. (I recommend looking up Kenhood on the L4W boards; his character Tonk is hi-larious, and on the L4W character lists; another great twist on the normal blob of backstory). We got her story, though, but it introduced the Old Woman, her cat, and the young man. We didn't reeeeally meet our heroine (though it might be interesting if you were playing a younger version of the old woman; if you happen to meet one with a cat familiar... I say no more!)
Normally I'd shy away from rape, but I learned that mostly after talking to female gamers. It makes ladies reeeally uncomfortable. In fact, generlaly violence against women turns them off a lot, in any format (unless it's Buffy or Xena).
However, as a big fan of Sword & Sorcery, it's there. Have you thought of having her as a human or half-elf (or even elf) rather than a dwarf? I admit to being rather sexist about my dwarves. Also, if she's gorgeous it adds a note of tragedy to her: everyone's thinking about something that was traumatic for her. NPCs, who could be perfectly nice, might not understand why she's so distant. Sort of a little mermaid figure (ie: the Little Swordmaid). Other quirks are also good, but this is a great base to jump off from.

Molotovs: you can have a bottle of oil. You can have a torch. You can't have alchemist's fire or any other such items to start. If you need to set fire to something and you can't be bothered with oil and a torch (and a moustache and monacle) you're not trying hard enough!

Rangerjohn: are you going with a level of Barbarian, or just Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple?

Assassin: Remember: no evil. And we should work on a guild you're affiliated with.

Summoner: I like it. I'm worried it'll be like Skull from Pvponline (Scott Kurtz), or what have you. That might work, though, from an RP point of view.
suggestion, while bouncing ideas: what if we went more bloody with the Eidolon, and younger with the summoner? Like, the Summoner is a kid and the Eidolon is his/her imaginary best friend (who kills things and eats people)? I picture the Troll as a big, blue giant with a long grey beard and horns of some sort. Ever see the White Wolf game 'Changeling: the Dreaming"? The Trolls were the big, honorable warriors.
Another option: what if you went with a bloodthirsty mastodon-creature? Like Mr. Snufflupagus, but if he was in Robert E. Howard? What would *that* be like, eh?
The potential for the class is that you can have creatures like out of an S&S story, or out of a Conan comic, or what have you. I just finished reading the Mignola issues of the Busiek/Dark Horse Conan series, and there's a massive frog that eats him, twice. Other issues have giant snakes, as well as a weird elephant-man-sorcerer-butterfly, blue behemoths... it's fun stuff.

Just so you know, I don't mind whatever you go with (so long as you like it enough not to vanish without saying so). I want my players to be happy, ultimately, and get along. I can for sure be draconian, but I prefer to go with honey first. That said, yeah, I should voice my opinions now: honesty is a good thing.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm still interested in finishing all the characters, and continuing our current discussion. We're not done, and I think we can hash out some really fun concepts. That said, I have posted our thread!

Here Thar Be Tha Thread!

Pick a color and post that as your dialogue. Don't use another character's color.

OOC information will be in spoilers, unless it's something we're all discussing; I'm fairly lax about this, but it is the norm.

Rolls will be on Invisible Castle dot com. I will opt to do some of them myself. You will post all your rolls in OOC spoilers. You will not cheat: the honor system is in effect, but I will double check rolls at random; the art of RP is taking unusual or unwanted rolls and making them a fun part of the game, and unless you're the GM fudging things, I don't want re-rolls.

I don't want any of you bogging things down by not posting. If it takes too long and you don't contact us, I'll boot your character somehow. Even if it's a few days, just like a job I'd like to know. If you're honest about an issue, I'll work with it.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I also wonder what the point of Inquisitor is, for a PC party. I mean, normally one would think you're running around searching for heretics; or torturing heretics; or torturing other enemies of the faith. What does that do for the adventuring group? Why are you in the "band of brothers"? With, I might add, a Desna Cleric, two Ulfen barbarians, one of whom summons monsters.
For me, I looked beyond the character fluff and saw a Van Helsing-type character. The class itself has group "buffs" if you will, casts cleric spells spontaneously, and lots of skill bonuses... basically, a bard on 'roids. I chose to make him a monster hunter before I planned out the character at large; I was later going to drop the hunter and go with the "lawman who was too lawful for the crooked town" angle.

It's a solid class. :)

That said, I knew you didn't like it, and I didn't like trying to make you like it, and I really didn't like the idea of making a brand new character... so off I went. :)

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
FitD it would fit the background more if he was barbarian. But they don't describe the different lodges like they do for the Shoanti. Just the rulers of the "kingdoms". This will be my conversation color.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
I picked Dark Orange.

I can usually post in the mornings during the week if work is not too hectic. Evenings are usually free so I might get a post in then if I missed the morning. My weekends are usually booked so I don't often get to post then.

grufflehead

First Post
Grufflehead: intense back story, and interesting twist on introducing a character. We got her story, though, but it introduced the Old Woman, her cat, and the young man. We didn't reeeeally meet our heroine (though it might be interesting if you were playing a younger version of the old woman; if you happen to meet one with a cat familiar... I say no more!)

Yes, I was conscious of the fact that I didn't really reveal a lot about Renya. Perhaps I'm rebounding from a recent experience with another game where I wrote a background that was so detailed that, after a few sessions, I soon realised I'd tied myself up in so many knots there really wasn't a lot in the game for him; certainly no reason for him to be doing what the GM had set up. I hope I put in enough justification for the 'crunch' of the character (classes, skills and feats), but otherwise it is a fairly blank slate from which to work.

In terms of the way I wrote the background, it was an attempt largely to tie us all together in the narrative, to help create that cohesive element that binds the group together before we start. Without that, there are a couple of PCs who don't seem to immediately fit the group dynamic, but if we handwave a little of our past history, then that is more easily glossed over.

The witch telling the tale - if it wasn't clear to anyone else - is the same Hag who set Keepiru on his path. I was (hopefully) giving the GM an opportunity to have her appear in the game if you want; and now there is a Witch class in PF, how can you resist ;)

Normally I'd shy away from rape, but I learned that mostly after talking to female gamers. It makes ladies reeeally uncomfortable. In fact, generlaly violence against women turns them off a lot, in any format (unless it's Buffy or Xena).

I hope I didn't offend anyone by using that device - if so, I apologise unreservedly. It was no more than a hook, and I realise the potentially unpleasant connotations to it.

However, as a big fan of Sword & Sorcery, it's there. Have you thought of having her as a human or half-elf (or even elf) rather than a dwarf? I admit to being rather sexist about my dwarves. Also, if she's gorgeous it adds a note of tragedy to her: everyone's thinking about something that was traumatic for her. NPCs, who could be perfectly nice, might not understand why she's so distant. Sort of a little mermaid figure (ie: the Little Swordmaid). Other quirks are also good, but this is a great base to jump off from.

Having recently been reading Robert Jordan's 'Conan Chronicles' I'm rather familiar with that particular trope. I deliberately steered clear of the classic 'slim waisted, large breasted beauty' type who is the only sort of woman who ever has any major part in a Conan story (apart, funnily enough, from mysterious old crones...). Frankly, I'd rather not compound my 'sin' of objectifying violence towards women with a healthy helping of rampant sexism if its all the same!

No, I see her as just an ordinary woman who is a victim of circumstances - as sadly happens to too many women the world over. She can't just make things better by flaunting her beauty (and wouldn't that just invite the same thing to happen again anyway?) but she has an inner strength and determination which has lead her to this point. I also avoided making her a bitter and driven bitch with the 'burning revenge' motivation as a) it is also rather stereotypical, and b) someone else beat me to it! If anything, you could argue that by encasing herself in metal, she is trying to create a protective shell around herself, and her nature is to be protective of those who can't stand up for themselves.

As far as race goes, the character was written for another game that didn't come off. When I jumped into the recruiting thread, the question of everyone being male and human had been raised, so it offered some diversity. Race is the least part of the concept though, it works equally well in my mind as a human so I have no issues changing that. The extra feat and skills will be welcome, and I can re-work the stats to reflect the different modifiers.

Other quirks are also good, but this is a great base to jump off from.

Thank you. I look forward to working with you and the other players to create an interesting and enjoyable tale.

And this will be my post colour

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases