Hobby Games Sales up 5-10%... but not RPGs

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I haven't seen any discussion of this, so...

ICv2 recently posted a series of articles on how they think the hobby game market is going. They make for very interesting reading, even if they're not good for RPGs (and the figures are probably somewhat unreliable).

* Hobby Game Sales up 5-10%
* Top Q4 2009 Collectible Games
* Top Q4 2009 Board, Card, Family Games
* Top Q4 2009 Role-Playing Games
* Top Q4 2009 Non-Collectible Miniature Games

Of note:
* Top 5 RPGs: D&D, Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy, World of Darkness.
* (also of note: none of those publishers is participating in the Origins awards!)
* Game sales in hobby stores were up from 5 to 10% in 2009 despite hte worst economy in generations, but
* RPG sales were down around 10% in 2009.

Did anyone get the issue from which this data is excerpted?

Cheers!

Crothian

First Post
I'm surprised to see Space Hulk on the list. I didn't think they printed enough copies for it to be a best seller. :D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm surprised to see Space Hulk on the list. I didn't think they printed enough copies for it to be a best seller. :D

They did. I think about 3 went to every store (and they had a few extras; I got my copy directly from them). When you add up the total sales, that's a heck of a lot of sales.

Meanwhile, how many copies of Agricola were sold per store? Apparently more... but how many more?

Cheers!

AllisterH

First Post
Personally, the most important thing to take about and something which I constantly drone about is that the most important thing to WOTC is not DnD.

It's M:TG.

M:TG has had a fantastic year and I think ironically most of that growth was attributed to how well the "electronic" version of the game did. Retailers have mentioned multiple times how the "coupon" attached to the Duels of the planeswalkers have increased sales.

The Xbox live arcade game is still ranked in the top 20 even after being released middle of last year (It was ranked #7 for all of 2009, just after Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Xbox arcade)

I fully admit, when it was announced, I thought it was stupid and thought why the hell would anyone play this when you got M:TGonline already?

Well consider me SCHOOLED.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Other interesting information:

Gene Billingsley (founder of GMT Games) posted in 2002 "our smallest print runs on games are 2,500 copies. That probably won't change much unless something real bad happens, as it's about the lowest quantity where bulk pricing helps keep most of our P500s in the $25-45 range. Largest print runs in the past year (2001) were a little over 5,000 for Zero, Wilderness War, and Thirty Years War. PoG sold out of the inital run of 3,000, and we printed another 4,000 last year. "

Jason Matthews (designer of Twilight Struggle and others): posted in 2007
"There are a couple of problems with TS as a Eurogame in the strict sense. The most important of which is the European market. The largest European game consuming country -- Germany -- is about the least likely to want to play it. In and of itself that would not be that big a deal, but when you consider the card driven nature of the game, you've got a real question. Would you publish the game with German cards -- since they have the largest market? Or should you publish in French or Italian, countries with smaller markets but seemingly more receptive to wargaming generally? Because if you are serious about selling in Europe, you have to print the cards in someone else's language. Otherwise you can't get beyond a very small niche of players.

"Now, a second question is could you make the game more widely played in the United States/Canada/UK? That's an interesting question to which I have no certain answer. Is it the game length? TS is shorter than Risk or Monopoly, both of which people play regularly. Is it the complexity? Well, its not really much more complex than CCGs and they sell like hotcakes. That brings us to four hard things to get around. First is the price -- will normal consumers drop $50 on a boardgame. I don't think so. But given hobby print runs (3K compared to a Euro 10k-20K), I see no surefire way to bring the sale price closer to a realistic number. Second is the distribution system -- that's where Mike's wife might have an interesting niche in the educational/homeschool arena. But, by in large, its going to be hard to encounter a game like Twilight Struggle unless you are acutally looking for it. Finally, there are the components (and see #1 in this regard). If I can pay $15 for a game at Wall Mart with high quality components, how am I going to feel about TS at $50. Slowly but surely, I think the Chinese may help us out here, but for now, its still a big disconnect.

"When TS goes into its third printing, something GMT is anticipating before the end of the year, we will have printed 11K copies or so. That brings TS into the modest sized Euro success range. So, I don't want to be too down on things. That IS a great success for GMT and wargaming these days. But once you've hit a good chunk of the folks who read over here and on the Geek, I am just not sure how much further a game like TS will go -- even streamlined."

Note that for the Deluxe Printing of Twilight Struggle, which just occurred, it was GMT Games' largest print run ever at 11,000 copies! (Gene Billingsley)

In 4Q 2009, Twilight Struggle Deluxe sold over 2000 copies

Dominion... "[Someone knows] one of the Developers of Dominion and within minutes of winning the award, she heard Jay Tunnelson (head of Rio Grande) on the phone authorizing a print run of like 200,000.".

More GMT Games typical print runs: (2010):
"Actually our typical print runs now are in the 3,000-5,000 range. I had heard that most European companies were only doing 5,000 initial print runs. I agree we're still probably small fries in comparison. I'm okay with that. It means it can still be my hobby versus just my job." - Andy Lewis

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
M:TG has had a fantastic year and I think ironically most of that growth was attributed to how well the "electronic" version of the game did. Retailers have mentioned multiple times how the "coupon" attached to the Duels of the planeswalkers have increased sales.

Interesting. I've heard numbers of 70% growth in 2009 from some people.

Cheers!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We've been doing great so far this year. I understand some folks are still hurting from the bad economy, but we just closed our best first quarter ever.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Or should you publish in French or Italian, countries with smaller markets but seemingly more receptive to wargaming generally? Because if you are serious about selling in Europe, you have to print the cards in someone else's language. Otherwise you can't get beyond a very small niche of players.
This part surprises me a bit. It is true that for casual gamers it is indispensable to translate, especially since the level of English knowledge in Italy is rather low. However, the players interested in games such as Twilight Struggle or Combat Commander are all well used to games in English IME, but maybe my "sample" is biased...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases