My First Build: Mariner. Please Comment!

Hoogo

First Post
Okay, Let me start by saying I am VERY new to this sort of thing, and only know how to make this sheet after many Headaches. That being said, This is my first build that I actually think may be somewhat good. Please tell me what you think.

(Btw, here is the link to the site I used to help make this: http://www.iourn.com/dnd/classes/corecl ... ariner.htm)

Race: Human
Class: Sailor (Mariner)

Build: Thin
Weight: 140lbs
Height: 5' 9"
Eyes: Gray
Hair: Blonde Short and Straight
Skin: Caucasian

Stats:
28 point build
Str - 16 (+3)
Dex - 12 (+1)
Con - 16 (+3)
Int - 10 (+0)
Wis - 14 (+2)
Cha - 6 (-2)

Feats:

Automatic feats:

Light armor Proficiency
Basic Weapons Proficiency
Mariner Weapon Proficiency (belaying pin, cutlass, harpoon, net and trident)

Bonus Feats:

Class Feat - Dodge

Human Bonus Feat - Weapon Focus - Cutlass (+1 to attack rolls with a Cutlass)

Starting Mariner Feats:

Sailor Lore (able to get information on local people or history, far away places or strange superstitions)

Seamanship (Gets Bonus Competence checks to Balance, Climb, and Profession (sailor) Checks) (No penalties from being on the sea)

Skills (not noted if equal to or less than zero, or Irrelevant):

24 points spent

Concentration - 3
*Craft - 0+4 = 4
**Balance - 1+2+1 = 4
**Climb - 3+1 = 4
Escape Artist - 1
Heal - 2
Hide - 1
*Jump - 3
Listen - 2
Move Silently - 3
Open lock (???) - 1
**Profession (Sailor) - 2+4+1 = 7
Ride - 1
Sense Motive - 2
Slight of Hand - 1
*Spot - 2+4 = 6
*Survival - 2+4 = 6
*Swim - 3+2 = 5
*Tumble - 1
*Use Rope - 1
*Gather Information - 0+4 = 4

(*'s indicate Skills mariner is Able with. Skills without a * get +0.5 from each skill point instead of +1 from each skill point, Max of 4 skill points to each skill)
(**`s Indicate skills Mariner is Able with and That get a bonus from the seamanship feat)

Equipment:

Chain shirt [light; +4 AC; max dex +4; check penalty -2; 25 lb.]
Medium Cutlass [1d8, crit x2, 3lb, slashing]

Dandu

First Post
Dodge sucks. Weapon focus sucks. Those two wasted feats will be like an albatross around your neck.

What is it you want to do with this character? You'll be able to select better feats after you answer that question.

Also, Caucasian is a race, not a skin color.

Nebten

First Post
On a more creative note, you cannot pick up Weapon Focus at first level because your base attack bonus is +0, where the requirements need it to be a +1.

parinho7

First Post
welcome Hoogo

for a begginer you did things right with the character creation, maybe you can take weapon focus at level 1 since the class gives it as a bonus feat and it doesn't make clear if you have to meet the requirements to take it

if you want to optimize tell us about the way you want to play the character and the books available

if you want a concept character then you are ok

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
for a begginer you did things right with the character creation, maybe you can take weapon focus at level 1 since the class gives it as a bonus feat and it doesn't make clear if you have to meet the requirements to take it
Fighters have to meet the prerequisites for their bonus feats. I don't see how this is going to be any different.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Stats:
28 point build
Str - 16 (+3)
Dex - 12 (+1)
Con - 16 (+3)
Int - 10 (+0)
Wis - 14 (+2)
Cha - 6 (-2)
Here's the issue with your stats: You can't take, or make use of, most good combat feats.

Power Attack is a staple of melee characters, but that requires you have a two handed weapon to get the full benefit of the feat. A cutlass is not a two handed weapon, nor can it be wielded as such iirc.

Combat Expertise is out due to your Int of 10, and Two Weapon Fight is out due to your Dex of 12. I'd swap your Int and Wis, and take Expertise, or Wis and Dex and take TWF.

Or something.

Dross

Explorer
Fighters have to meet the prerequisites for their bonus feats. I don't see how this is going to be any different.

While rangers and monks don't for their bonus feats (they do have other limitations though), i'd have to say the style is similar to a fighter's bonus feat and require meeting pre-reqs.

Dross

Explorer
On a more creative note, you cannot pick up Weapon Focus at first level because your base attack bonus is +0, where the requirements need it to be a +1.

Mind you, even WOTC people can do this, the miniatures HB Marshal has the same attack progression, but the example character is given weapon focus.

Remove ads