Encounter Tracker/Calculator

koesherbacon

First Post
Hi everyone,

I was a little bored last night and couldn't sleep and ended up making a pretty snazzy Encounter Tracker and Calculator for DMs.

It keeps track of stuff like your PCs' and Monsters' HP, defenses, initiative, etc. It calculates their bloodied values once you enter in their max HP. It even calculates their current HP and applies certain conditional formatting rules which allow you to easily see how everything in play is doing.

For example, if a monster's current HP is between its bloodied value and 1, the current HP is displayed in Red. If monster's current HP is equal to or less than 0, it is displayed in Red and strikethrough'd.

Here's a pic of an example encounter:
http://img685.yfrog.com/i/encountercalculatorexam.png/

You can play with it here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0At11chTkv95-dDltMkhiUkV0UDh5MGJ4TlQ3elpvOUE&hl=en

And download it in a number of different formats for yourself here:
http://www.filedropper.com/dnd4encountercalculator

Hope it helps your games! Feel free to share it to others if you like it :)
If you find any bugs or you want me to try to add some other features I didn't think of, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Keenberg

First Post
This is a great tool! I used it the other night in my game and it really sped fights up. No need to call for four or more different defenses when I roll my attacks.

On a side note, its really helpful after a few drinks, too. ;)

Edit: One request: can you make column L automatically total from columns M-Z?

Last edited:

koesherbacon

First Post
This is a great tool! I used it the other night in my game and it really sped fights up. No need to call for four or more different defenses when I roll my attacks.

On a side note, its really helpful after a few drinks, too. ;)

Edit: One request: can you make column L automatically total from columns M-Z?

Sure, let me take a look at it and see what I can do.

I'm designing it using Numbers (part of the iWork package), so everything might not totally translate into Excel. If anybody knows more about Excel and wants to help out, I'm sure others would benefit!

koesherbacon

First Post
You must be using Excel, because in my Numbers application, column L (Total Damage) is calculated as columns M-Z.

I'll try to open up my Excel version using Open/Neo Office and see what I can pull together.

Sorry about that

Omertalvendetta

First Post
I DL and made the changes on the Xcel and they add accurately now... this is gonna be very useful... the only qualm I may have is Temp HP and DR being taken into consideration... one of my party members just brought it up when I just showed it to him... any thoughts?

koesherbacon

First Post
Here's my next version, which should have eliminated the current HP bug:
http://www.filedropper.com/dnd4encountercalculatorv2

Hm, Temp HP and DR, Omertalvendetta, those are good points. I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to add a column for Temp HP and DR as placeholders. In other words, I don't know if it's worth writing out more calculations when it's probably easier just to have those numbers written down somewhere so you can more easily remember them and make the quick calculations yourself.

If you have another opinion or any advice on how to add those, I'd love to hear it!

My next version, I'm thinking of adding a column where you can list status effects. Worth it? Or is it easier just to keep track of those with counters or the like?

Nytmare

David Jose
With the encounter tool I use, I keep track of status effects for everyone, but only HPs for monsters. At that point, tracking temp HP is the same as tracking life gain by using a negative number.

I have a single cell set up for whatever on the spot info I need. Marks are tracked with counters on the board, but all status effects are tracked via the Excel sheet (I found that having to juggle the appropriate counter for the appropriate effect was more time consuming than just typing it in.)

koesherbacon

First Post
Well, I took a bit of a break, but I have another version now which I feel is more than sufficient to keep track of everything in one place.

Translating it from Numbers into Excel made it lose some of its conditional formatting. I'm sure it can be put in, but I just don't know enough about Excel right now to get it right. At any rate, I think it's pretty darn helpful!

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Encounter Calculator.xls

Let me know your thoughts! :)

Remove ads