Tigers Leap vs Bounding Leap

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I was leveling up my character (Level 2 Half Orc Barbarian) and I noticed something when choosing my level 2 Encounter power.

Tigers Leap (Utility 2, Barbarian)
Encounter * Primal
Move Action Personal
Prerequisite: You must be trained in Athletics.
Effect: You can make an Athletics check to jump with a +5 power bonus. You are considered to have a running start and can move as far as the check allows.

Source: Player's Handbook 2

Bounding Leap (Utility 2, Skill / Atheltics)
Encounter
Move Action Personal
Effect: You make an Athletics check to jump with a +5 power bonus. You are considered to have a running start, and the distance you jump can exceed your speed.
Prerequisite: You must be trained in Athletics.

Source: Player's Handbook 3

Now, these two powers are nearly identical aside from the power source, and a very slightly different wording for the effect. I am wondering if there is any effective difference between the "Can exceed your speed" wording vs the "move as far as the check allows" wording.

I am also wondering if there is any real point to having the same power exist twice aside from the possibility of allowing a Barbarian character to have two different Utility powers available to let him do the same thing.

END COMMUNICATION

cdrcjsn

First Post
Yeah, it seems like both do the same thing, just worded differently.

As for the point of having a power that is very close to an existing power...well, the skill utility power is a lot easier to get access to. You don't have to be a Barbarian (or multi-class into Barbarian) to be able to use the power.

There's a few Stealth skill utility powers that also do similar things to a few Rogue utility powers.

A barbarian can take the skill utility power in addition to the barbarian utility one I suppose. Then you'll be able to do a standing jump easily twice per encounter (since both are encounter powers).

Don't see much of a call for it frankly.

Gruns

Explorer
The power's effects are identical. The only difference is that one requires you to be a Barbarian, the other requires you to be trained in Athletics.
I suppose if you were a Barbarian trained in Athletics, you could grab both of these and jump amazingly twice per encounter...
Later!
Gruns

DracoSuave

First Post
With certain errata and the skill powers, I think it's safe to say the designers are not afraid to obsolete previous options.

In this case, Tiger's Leap is obsoleted unless you're the rare barbarian who wants it twice.

But then again, how many people actually took Tiger's Leap snyways? I don't fret nor cry over the expansion of niche options. This is a niche option that just happens to make everyone have it.

It's not too different then the Heal or Religion dailies that burn healing surges. Is Cure Light Wounds obsolete? Maybe. But now we don't need to see that effect on -every- leader's list.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases