Zombies!

RithTheAwakener

First Post
Can zombies (whom can only do a single move action or attack action per round) take a 5-ft-step? If not, can they be endlessly 5-ft-step kited by an PC?

Ahnehnois

First Post
A 5 ft. step exists somewhat outside the normal action structure, so the text that a zombie can "only" take a standard or move action does not preclude taking a 5 ft. step, as I read it (after all, swift and immediate actions are even preserved).

Miscellaneous Actions
The following actions take a variable amount of time to accomplish or otherwise work differently than other actions.

Take 5-Foot Step
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can't take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance.

In any case, a zombie can (and probably often does) still charge, allowing it to move and attack in the same action and preventing that strategy, regardless of the 5 ft. step issue.

If you are able to take only a standard action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed) and you cannot draw a weapon unless you possess the Quick Draw feat. You can't use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action on your turn.
Combat (Pathfinder_OGC)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
But you need at least 10 ft distance to charge, unless that's halved for partial charge. Which means if the PC's just moving back 5 ft, it's too close for the zombie to charge. His best option at that point is to charge someone else.

If you don't allow PCs who are slowed to take a 5 ft step and attack, zombies shouldn't be able to either, and "kiting" is just a really good, albeit cheesy, tactic against them. If you do/would allow PCs to 5 ft step and attack in that situation (or during a surprise round also works as a hypothetical), then groovy. Zombies can just 5 ft step and attack.

Ahnehnois

First Post
But you need at least 10 ft distance to charge, unless that's halved for partial charge. Which means if the PC's just moving back 5 ft, it's too close for the zombie to charge. His best option at that point is to charge someone else.
This is true, but the creature can charge past the opponent and then attack (provoking in the process) or attack someone else as suggested, thus rendering the creature not useless.

If you don't allow PCs who are slowed to take a 5 ft step and attack, zombies shouldn't be able to either
Besides the point that slow is not the same as being a zombie, I don't see how the slow spell prevents 5 ft. steps, by the same reasoning as above. Thus a slowed PC should not be denied this.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Why would do you think that is the same situation? Zombies are just staggered. The Slow spell, unlike being a zombie, also cuts the victim's speed in half, in addition to making the victim staggered.

Haste also gives +30 ft speed, but who casts it primarily for that?

Fine then, compare to the actual staggered condition. Or a surprise round, like I said. If you allow 5 ft step + attack action in those situations, no reason a zombie can't. If you don't allow it, tough luck for Mr. Zombie. I'm not a fan of using different rules for NPCs than PCs.

Noumenon

First Post
Why do you think that is the same situation? Zombies are just staggered. The Slow spell, unlike being a zombie, also cuts the victim's speed in half, in addition to making the victim staggered.

Some jerk has gone and broken all your links.

5-foot step says

You can only take a 5-foot-step if your movement isn't hampered by difficult terrain or darkness.

I'm not completely convinced having your movement hampered by slow is covered by that rule, though it makes sense.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Your movement is not being hampered by terrain or darkness, so no, that rule has nothing to do with Slow.

Also, I forgot why this is even an issue. 5 ft step is NOT an action at all, it is a nonaction.

Remove ads