Pathfinder 1E Living Pathfinder

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
(Originally posted in 'Proposal - LEW with Pathfinder Rules')

I gave this some thought last night and came up with what seems to be the solution folks are leaning toward here - a whole new living world to explore!

I have an offer/suggestion for the physical world:

I have a map of an entire world (Earth size) that I would be willing to contribute. The map is geographic only - landmasses, major rivers, mountain ranges, etc. It's done topographic style rather than gaming style, and I've got elevation, temperature, rainfall, and climate (e.g. tropical forest, temperate grasslands) maps to go with it. You can look at the map here. I'd take out the place names, obviously.

This would provide a huge amount of space for a sandbox type exploration - GMs could pick a spot in the world to start their games, and begin the process of mapping an entire world.

I know Paizo has disallowed the Golarion setting, but they may be willing to allow the deities (IMHO, an excellent pantheon!), planar settings, demons and devils, etc. That would get a good bit done for us.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Wouldn't this be the spot to start discussion on creating that new LPW? I just found this by looking for a way to ask Morrus for rules on opening a new Living World forum. But here in this thread we could start to build what do you say.

My Ideal:

New continent discoveried and we play as if everyone is setting out to it. This would give us:

A) Central Hub - a fort (to start) that will be built into a city over time. And all PC's will pass through as it is only main civilized area (could be camps and things out in the wilds)
B) Not much mapping to start (We use Mowgli's map as the main as ships have sailed all around the area) and we let DM's add to it as they take groups out exploring. This will give everyone a chance to add in.
C) A way to up the adventure lvls (Higher Monsters the deeper in you explore).

Just thoughts but is it ok to use this for are LPW brainstorming?

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Civilzation game? There is a thread somewhere that I could see some other ideals and such. Really all I have at the moment is what I posted.

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Civilization is an old turn based PC strategy game, not an RPG at all. Focused on world exploration, building your civilization up in population, scientific advancement, and area controlled until you win by either conquering the whole world or advancing enough that you can colonize other planets.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Oh ok nope than never played that PC game I've only played Diablo, Starcraft, and Baldur's gate PC.

I don't think this living world will get to the point where we coloinize space but that would be awesome (our RL grandchildren's grandchildren taking up the thread to continue on into space LOL :p)

Ok to use your map like I outlined any other suggestions, need to send WD over here to explain more of what his "sandbox" was about.

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Another possibility would be to follow more of the 'Transitive Isles' concept, but without the need to create new islands. Use a specific rule set for all settings and allow GMs to start their own campaign settings with the fluff they want. Pick a likely spot on the world - as close to or far from existing developed areas as they wish - and go to town. There'd have to be some guidelines, of course.

Possibly we could require judge approval for overall themes in particular areas so that we don't end up with an Asian themed city in the middle of a previously developed European flavored country.

Again, just brainstorming.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Have everyone create their own country/nation and then "glue" them together till we get something that looks like Europe?

I mean that is a great example of mixed languages/history/food/fashion as I can think of. Would give everyone a chance to create and have a piece of the Living World be their own.

HM

GlassEye

Adventurer
I don't follow L4W so I'm not at all sure what the 'Transitive Isles' concept is. If you would expand on it I would appreciate it.

I am not averse to using Mowgli's map for the basis. I don't think that we necessarily need to decide on that right now though. There are a lot of conceptual ideas to work on before we get to that point. I'm not really keen on the 'Undiscovered Continent' idea. It's perfectly valid just seems to point all the adventures in a particular direction and limit availability of goods and services. Which isn't a bad thing, just saying it's not my preference.

Based on what Trouvere has said about the civilized area in LEW and how that affects the ability to come up with logical adventuring possibilities I would suggest a points of light type concept. Also, I would suggest dividing the map into regions by CR and including random encounter tables for regions as a guideline for DMs. So, for example, the starting area (a small city state or large town) would be fairly well settled but might experience incursions of monsters of CR 1-3 with the rare spike in CR for higher level enticement. The wilderness begins abruptly after the settled lands and has increasingly difficult CR's assigned to specific regions. There could also be spots where the CR jumps drastically, i.e. an area of woods at CR 2-4 but a chasm within with a CR of 7. I think we could stay fairly contained in a small area to begin with and grow organically as we need higher level adventuring locales.

Other things I would like to eventually see: a non-standard player race, real-world cultures as a basis for a few areas, a reason for 'discovering' civilized areas that haven't been created yet (perhaps a plague of some sort severed communications for a long time due to the survivors being so involved with just surviving).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases