[pfrpg] follow me into shadows

fireinthedust

Explorer
The fire was the only light in the forest, and burned as brightly as it could in the cold. Something about the air allowed its smoke to thicken like steam, so that only huddling very close to it allowed any of them warmth enough against the chill. Thick logs had been rolled next to it, and the Mule from the wagon under its blanket had been munching contentedly while the group made their usual discussion back and forth across the fire.

The scholar who'd hired them was a young man for one of his depth of learning: early forties with enough wisdom that a patch or two of hair had gone white. He tended to wearing more than enough of the thick robes he'd brought, mostly due to the cold, with a studded leather jerken beneath for more official protection. He was not the sort for adventure, and throughout the journey he seemed good at anything but the practical: while he knew much of the wilderness' history, he had failed to realize how much of it was covered in dirt until the first night they'd made camp. While he had many opinions on cooking and the nature of different ingredients, he'd managed to ruin any meal he attempted to cook, and nearly burned water when he'd put it on to boil. Still, his coin was real to the touch, and the map he'd shown them seemed to lead somewhere by the landmarks on their route. As a patron, he would do, except for his annoying need to be there with them on this little trip.

Perhaps it was the days surrounded by adventursome types, but when the wolves first howled he was the first to grab a brand from the fire and wave it about.

Ah, yes, finally some action. Not that I want to tell you blokes how to do your jobs, obviously, but what does one normally do for this sort of... thing?

At the edge of the firelight, and from the sound of things just beyond, furred shapes moved about. Soon glowing eyes could be seen from the shadows, and some flickers of the firelight made sharp teeth glow.

ghostcat

First Post
A short human male of medium build, wearing half plate armor, gets up from his seat near the fire and un-ships a heavy crossbow. "Normally, I would be leading a charge at this point. However, with pack animals like wolves, I recommend staying back and using missile weapons." Sir Angus answers the scholar. At the same time he is busy loading his crossbow. "But be carefull, they can attack any time. So be ready to drop your bow and draw a melee weapon."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
On a log on the opposite side of the fire a young varisian man sat wrapped in his cloak, reading one of his seven scrolls of holy writ. In truth though, it was obvious to everyone that he was struggling to make sense of all the words. Every now and then the others could notice him trying to silently sound out a difficult word. Squinting in the firelight, the varisian was engrossed in whatever he was reading when the first howl split the night air. He started in surprise and nearly dropped the precious scroll into the flames before he recovered himself. Standing up quickly, he began looking around the dark forest around them while nervously rolling up his scroll.

The last time I saw wolves the pack of them chased me up a tree. They stayed in the area for three days to see if I would come down." Keepiru shivered a bit at the memory. After slipping the scroll back into its tube on his hip, he reaches for his four bladed Starknife. "I don't think I want to sit in a tree again."

grufflehead

First Post
Renya was making her way back across the camp having given the mule a bag of hay and checked that its tether line was securely fastened when she heard the first mournful howls in the distance. Soon the others heard it too, and at a word from the heavy set warrior, they began to ready weapons both physical and magical. Over the few days the group had travelled together so far, Sir Angus' experience had quickly been evident to the newcomers, so they too followed his lead.

Despite the heavy armour she still wore, the plain young woman nimbly negotiated the clutter of equipment and provisions around the fire as she traversed the campsite once more. She knelt beside the beast, now skittish, its breath coming in thick snorts which hung in the air, its eyes rolling wildly as it caught scent of the predators in the dark. Renya stroked its neck and leant close, blowing in one great ear, making low soothing sounds in an attempt to calm it.

Handle Animal check
1d20+9=28

Satisfied that it wouldn't try to bolt, or thrash and injure itself, she returned to the area where she had spread her bedroll out, and retrieved her long-handled glaive from the ground. Carrying it in her left hand, she used her right to gently but firmly grip the scholar by the arm, and move him towards the centre of the camp.

Her eyes sought out Sindri and Ragnor, and, planting the butt of the glaive in the ground so the weapon was cradled against her neck, her fingers began to flash quick hand signals to them - a few movements making symbols and shapes with her right hand, before pointing to her eyes and then towards the sky, then making a fist and moving it in a short arc before spreading the fingers wide, then a gesture in the direction of the scholar, a brief thumb towards herself, and another arc, this time with her left arm held horizontal.

[sblock=Sign Language - only if you can understand it!]
'We can't see far in the torchlight'
'Do you have a way of lighting up a larger area?'
'Tell the scholar to stay close to me - I will protect him'
[/sblock]

With the merest nod of understanding to the two northerners, she grasped the glaive in both hands, and took up a defensive stance, feet spread with her weight balanced. Her eyes constantly scanned the darkness for signs of movement.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Sindri is reclining lazily against his saddle where he tossed it on the ground, toasting the bottoms of his feet near the fire, carving a stick with his dagger and idly flicking shavings of wood towards the fire and occasionally towards Keepiru. And he's singing an Ulfen drinking song in a poorly rendered Katapeshi accent which might have been funny the first time he did it but everyone's heard him do this at least three times already.

When their blessed patron leaps up and grabs a flaming brand, Sindri, absorbed in his private amusements, is taken by surprise. "What the...?! He looks around and sees his companions already preparing for battle. Quickly dropping the hacked up stick and sheathing his dagger he climbs to his feet. With a chuckle he says, "Normally? I'd roll over for a bit of a snooze and let Jack take care of matters like that time in the Sarna Woods." He scowls towards Keepiru. "It is Sarna Woods, isn't it? I can never keep those names straight. Your people have the strangest names..."

Getting what he interprets as that 'do it now' look from Renya he sighs, pats the crossbow at his hip to make sure it's ready for when he needs it, and makes sure his spear is at hand. "Umm....you," Sindri points at their scholar-patron, "Stick close to Renya. She'll make sure you ain't, you know, wolf-bait." Directions given, Sindri casts light upon his spear.

A deep rumbling warning growl comes from the edge of the firelight and the mass that is Half-Jack unfolds itself and rises from the ground. The pale-skinned troll sniffs deeply at the air to pinpoint the direction of the wolves. He slowly clenches his fist to a dismaying sound of cracking knuckles but his attention never wavers from the darkness surrounding the group.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Ragnor

"Well first I need to prepare for thier bite and then we shall put a little light on the subject. Ragnor then goes through arcane motions and a blue glow surrounds him in a field of force.

[Sblock="OOC"]cast mage armor now ac 18[/Sblock]

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
While more shapes still flitter about behind them, four large wolves step into the radius of the light, coming at the party from four directions. Their size is enormous, about the size of draft horses each, with large yellow eyes reflecting the light back towards you.

[sblock=Perception DC 20] You note that their pupils are red; not glowing, per se, but more like dots of red paint or blood.

[sblock=Knowledge: Nature DC 10] This is not normal for Dire Wolves, though you've not seen brutes this large before[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative please!] init order please[/sblock]

grufflehead

First Post
Renya watched as the four huge shapes moved closer - the fact that they had chosen to come at the camp from different directions suggested a certain intelligence, perhap seeking to lure one of her companions away, or at least draw the defenders far enough apart from each other that some of those that remained in the shadowy depths might move in and strike.

[sblock=Perception]1d20+13=28[/sblock]

She felt the scholar tense beside her, his fear almost palpable in the cold night. She had moved him close to the central campfire in the hope that it would provide a deterrent to attacks from one side - in her skilled hands, the tip of the glaive which would hopefully prove an equally resilient barrier from the other side wove a deadly path in the air, waiting for the imminent attack.

'Now' she thought, 'let's see what our new companions are made of'.

Initiative 1d20+2=5

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
When the enormous wolves step into the shadowy light and Sindri finally notices them he is astounded. "Abadar on a stick!" he curses. He momentarily forgets what he was getting ready to do but a chance brush of the hand against his spell component pouch reminds him and he slips fingers into the pouch looking for just the right component. "Stay close," he snaps but then he finds what he is looking for and he begins to hum in anticipation.

Jack's fists spring open and black claws, brutally sharp claws reflect light from the fire. <Skald>"Loivocek!"</Skald> He crouches in preparation to spring at one of the wolves but holds at Sindri's command though he trembles with the tenseness of holding himself in place.

[sblock=Rolls]
Initiative: 1d20+3=16
Jack's Perception: 1d20+9=14
Sindri doesn't have a chance at the perception roll, lol[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases