Drow Rogue Experimental Build: opinions anyone?

Harleau

First Post
I've been using the assassin class for a while and have found it quite...not-assassin-like. The rogue is more like an assassin than anything. Which is why I put this build together. If anyone has questions or comments, feel free to say. Any feedback is awesome! Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------
Elex et Rouge, level 30
Drow, Rogue, Dread Fang, Perfect Assassin
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Cunning Sneak
Rogue: Rogue Weapon Talent
Darkfire: Darkfire Charisma
Background: Dragon Coast (Dragon Coast Benefit) --> Changed to Windrise Ports

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 13, Dex 28, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 24.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 14.

AC: 43 Fort: 39 Reflex: 42 Will: 42
HP: 170 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +31, Thievery +29, Streetwise +27, Intimidate +29, Acrobatics +29, Bluff +27, Dungeoneering +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Diplomacy +22, Endurance +16, Heal +15, History +16, Insight +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Religion +16, Athletics +16

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Versatile Duelist
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 8: Warrior of the Wild
Level 10: Student of Malediction
Level 11: Relentless Curse
Level 12: Eyedark Strike
Level 14: Cloud of Poison
Level 16: Aberrant Mark of Contagion
Level 18: Darkhunter
Level 20: Darkjumper
Level 21: Epic Fortitude
Level 22: Clutch of Darkness
Level 24: Killing Curse
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Unyielding Fortitude
Level 30: Superior Initiative

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Clever Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue encounter 1: Acrobat's Blade Trick
Rogue daily 1: Spinning Blade Leap
Rogue utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Rogue encounter 3: Fleeting Spirit Strike
Rogue daily 5: Hobble
Rogue utility 6: Hidden Blade
Rogue encounter 7: Shadow Boxer
Rogue daily 9: Knockout
Rogue utility 10: Daring Gamble
Rogue encounter 13: Fitting Demise (replaces Shadow Boxer)
Rogue daily 15: Arterial Slice (replaces Spinning Blade Leap)
Rogue utility 16: Reflexive Dodge
Rogue encounter 17: Dragon Tail Strike (replaces Fleeting Spirit Strike)
Rogue daily 19: Snake's Retreat (replaces Knockout)
Rogue utility 22: Hide from the Light
Rogue encounter 23: Tendon Tear (replaces Acrobat's Blade Trick)
Rogue daily 25: Ghost on the Wind (replaces Hobble)
Rogue encounter 27: Hurricane of Blood (replaces Fitting Demise)
Rogue daily 29: Assassin's Point (replaces Snake's Retreat)

ITEMS
Gorget of Reciprocity +6, Blade of the Eldritch Knight Broadsword +5, Displacer Feyleather Armor +4, Reaper's Touch, Ring of Fate, Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Spark Slippers (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Goggles of Night (paragon tier)

Notes on custom elements:
Ring of Fate: *Daily* Recharge one encounter power or daily power that you have missed with.

Reaper's Touch: Select one encounter power. That power is now an at-will power. (Chose Cloud of Darkness)
-------------------------------------------------------

The point of this build is mass damage and being able to sneak attack during every turn without having to knock everything prone and such. Cloud of Darkness should satisfy the conditions required for sneak attack, I would think.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to look this. Peace.

Last edited:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
It looks pretty good with the exception that you have two many multiclass feats. You can only have more than one if you are a bard or have the Windrise Ports background. Other than that, it looks solid. Personally, I'm not to big on level 30 builds because the character will most likely never reach that level. I think it's much more practical to have builds of the character at level 1, level 6, 11, and maybe 16. I also agree that a 4e rogue is a better assassain than an 4e assassin. The assassin's damage isn't that great, and it takes too long to build up shrouds. Plus, they are exceptionally squishy. The only powers in the game that can possibly take out a non-minion really quick without relying on crits belong to the wizard and the rogue because they make something unconscious which makes coup de grace possible.

Last edited:

Harleau

First Post
Thanks for the feedback on that. I added the Windrise Port background. But I'm a little unclear as to how I have 3 multiclass feats. I thought only multiclass feats that I had were Student of Malediction and Warrior of the Wild. All of the other feats that are related them should be class feats, right? Not multiclass?

Thanks again.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
You don't have three muticlass feats, you have two. It's still more than you can have without the Windrise Ports background. You are normally allowed muticlass feats from only one class, unless you are a bard. Windrise Ports lets you have muticlass feats from two classes instead of just one.

mkill

Adventurer
1: I probably missed it, but what's experimental in this build?
2: Please compare AC 43 with the attack bonus of a standard level 30 monster and the number it needs to roll to hit you.
3: You're a Cunning Sneak, but you pump Cha, not Int. Shouldn't you go for a Cha-based rogue tactic?
4: What's the benefit of the multiclass?
5: No crossbow? What if you need to attack at range?
6: A broadsword is a ... excentric weapon choice for an assassin. What's wrong with daggers? Concealable, very precise, can be thrown, silent, doesn't leave a bloody mess, no feat cost...
Have you ever tried to slit a throat with a 2-foot lump of metal that lacks a sharp edge? It's good for bashing in skulls, but that's not what you do...
7: Melee training. There will be times when you need to charge or make an opportunity attack.

Last edited:

Harleau

First Post
1: I probably missed it, but what's experimental in this build?
2: Please compare AC 43 with the attack bonus of a standard level 30 monster and the number it needs to roll to hit you.
3: You're a Cunning Sneak, but you pump Cha, not Int. Shouldn't you go for a Cha-based rogue tactic?
4: What's the benefit of the multiclass?
5: No crossbow? What if you need to attack at range?
6: A broadsword is a ... excentric weapon choice for an assassin. What's wrong with daggers? Concealable, very precise, can be thrown, silent, doesn't leave a bloody mess, no feat cost...
Have you ever tried to slit a throat with a 2-foot lump of metal that lacks a sharp edge? It's good for bashing in skulls, but that's not what you do...
7: Melee training. There will be times when you need to charge or make an opportunity attack.

1) Most rogues don't use broadswords and I have a feat that allows me to wield a heavy blade as it were a light blade or dagger. Given this, I am allowed to use d10 instead of d4 or d6. My Reaper's Touch ring is a custom element, allowing me to turn an encounter power into an at-will power. There are other elements that I could mention, but these are a few reasons why I call it experimental. It's using the rogue in a different way than normal. Perhaps it only makes sense to me, so call it what you will.

2) Looking at standard monsters, they usually have +33 vs. AC. I would normally have a 50/50 chance of getting hit. But with my Cloud of Darkness as my chosen at-will power (see Reaper's Touch), I think enemies should have to take a -5 to attack rolls because I am not visible within the zone. Was there a particular problem you saw with my AC defense?

3) None of my skills are directed at using int to boost damage. Adding to charisma allows me to do extra damage with my other attacks (only about 7 extra though. If you have any suggestions on where it might be better placed, feel free to comment).In fact, I only use this rogue tactic to try to gain concealment elsewhere if I move at least 3 squares to a place where I can hide behind something.

4) The multiclass allows me to deal extra damage to opponents. I have skills that play off the fact that I have multiclass feats. For example, with the ranger multiclass feat, I can make an enemy my quarry, but only once per encounter. If I add the darkhunter feat, I can make any enemy within my cloud of darkness my quarry. Essentially, I can gain an extra 3d6 to all of my attacks.

5) I have no crossbow because I cannot wield it as an off-hand weapon. My Blade of the Eldritch Knight Broadsword gives me reach 5 for melee attacks (my DM equated it to being a Final Fantasy sword, and I quite agree). I use this to compensate for range and use it to buffer for distance.

6) Daggers are a very much an option, but I wanted to opt for increased damage. I may need a feat to use the broadsword, but then I didn't really find too many other feats in the heroic tier that would do as much as this.

7) Melee training seems like a good idea... the question is more of what feat I would push out to incorporate it. BTW, would having reach 5 for my attacks allow me to opportunity attack a creature that leaves a square that is 5 spaces from me? Is that square considered threatened, or do they need to leave a square that is right next to me?

Thanks for looking at the build and taking time to help me with it. Much appreciated =)

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
That ring will be something your GM will greatly regret.

We have a drow rogue in our group - and, even though she's entirely RAW, she can still be a pain in my keister. As in, I have seen her kill foes of roughly her level in two hits - in the surprise round.

Harleau

First Post
That ring will be something your GM will greatly regret.

We have a drow rogue in our group - and, even though she's entirely RAW, she can still be a pain in my keister. As in, I have seen her kill foes of roughly her level in two hits - in the surprise round.

I would definitely agree that he will regret it! His claim is that we need higher lvl stuff to beat because stuff at our level has issues hitting us. We have a custom character (Illusionist) that has no attacks, but causes invisibility, vulnerability, doppelgangers and all sorts of other fun stuff. We have an avenger that knock everything prone and a paladin that is pretty buff. Most stuff at our level has issues getting hits on us while we smack them down! But to compensate for some of squishy attack power, he granted us custom items.

BTW, what do you mean by "she's entirely raw"?

And thanks for the input!

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
If you have a custom item that can make an encounter power at-will... I can't recommend strongly enough that you take Low Slash and make it at-will.

Harleau

First Post
If you have a custom item that can make an encounter power at-will... I can't recommend strongly enough that you take Low Slash and make it at-will.

I can see your point on wanting to make it an encounter power. Slowing and dealing extra damage is nice, but the major point of this build, given the items that I have, is to be able to deal a lot of damage every round and force my opponents to take a -5 penalty to non-area attacks to hit me. On top of that, my displacer armor, as a daily item power, allows me to force my opponents to roll attacks against me twice and take the lower result. Meaning, the DM must crit twice to crit me. That also means that for most of his attacks in the encounter that I use it, he will need to roll pretty high both times to hit me.

I still have precautions in place for this. Gorget of Reciprocity allows me, as an immediate interrupt, to reflect back all damage and statuses. Although I take damage, so does my opponent. I used this when a buff leader kills all my defenses by 5. I used it and gave him -5 as well. Then he became helpless and we pwned him with crits all around. lol. My Reflexive Dodge power lets me take 1/2 damage. My diamond cincture lets me heal as a minor action.

It should all be good. That's the plan.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll look into using it in another build, perhaps.

Remove ads