Adv: Rhapsody; Judge: renau1g

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Cairn pulls out an extremely large piece of metallic trash. There are four beams holding the fire ring around the airship. One beam is connected to the airship at the back and leans forward over the middle of the ship. That is the easiest beam to brace.

There are three other beams, one on the right side of the ship, one on the left side of the ship, and one underneath the ship. The two on the sides will be tougher to brace, but the one underneath the ship will be extremely difficult to get to.

[sblock=OOC]
Anyone who Cairn assists with bracing a beam will get a +2 circumstance bonus to their Athletics skill roll due to the beam he has being so large.

I've attached a picture (not exact, the barge is not that ornate or in that good of shape) of what the airship looks like.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Skyship.jpg
    Skyship.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 112

drothgery

First Post
Sometimes, Lady ir'Sarhain, you don't have the slightest notion of what's good for you. Narvala thinks, limping up to help Nyar out. The Church didn't do a lot of work with bound elementals, but she did know at least a little of the practice.

[sblock=actions]
aid Nyar; arcana check (1d20+11=17)
[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Baern and Cairn manage to prop up the shaking beam on top of the airship which is holding the magical device that holds the elemental ring in place. Their work is crude at best, but it does seem to be stabilizing the beam.

Even to the untrained non-magical eyes of Baern and Cairn, it looks like a broken beam will somehow mess up the ring and probably create all kinds of problems.

The shaking of the airship is now increasing to the point that it is violent and making it difficult to stand. The ship continues to spiral down, but its speed is increasing as well.

[sblock=OOC]Were we supposed to assist or get all four beams done?[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]In this case, Cairn rolled to retrieve an appropriate sized beam from the trash and assisted Baern in placing it.

One beam is braced which means that the elemental shouldn't be able to break that beam in its attempt to escape.

Two successes.

In order to place the side beams (hanging off the sides of the ship) and the beam under the ship will take a skill check (decide which skill you want to try in order to do it) to safely get there by the PCs (without falling off the ship) before a beam can be placed. This skill check to be able to get to the proper portion of the ship is in addition to the Acrobatics roll listed below.

Narvala gives a +2 bonus to Nyar (or the Captain, depending on what Nyar is doing) next round.

Just waiting on Christina's actions and we'll go into round two.

In round two, everyone needs to make an Acrobatics roll DC 15 (or provide some other form of stability) in order to take actions without taking a -2 penalty to whatever skill they are trying. For example, if Cairn tries to get another piece of metal out of the trash, he'll need to make an Acrobatics roll. And of course, someone who does make their Acrobatics roll could also Aid Another with Acrobatics someone who is actually trying to do something else.

The failed Acrobatics rolls are cumulative over multiple rounds up to a max of -6 to the skill checks. A PC who makes his Acrobatics roll and already has a penalty lessens that penalty by 2 to a min of 0.

Note: These are not real rounds of six seconds each. It actually takes a while to move and prop up beams, etc. I'm just using a round system so that everyone gets to contribute. If the Acrobatics roll is failed, think of a bucking wooden sailing ship on the ocean. The PC is off balanced and having difficulty functioning, and just when they think they've figured out a pattern, the ship lurches in another direction. This just makes whatever they are trying even harder to do.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Would it be possible to climb the side of the ship? That would be athletics, yes? And my roll above was supposed to be main roll, not aid, otherwise I'd write aid another in the linky.

Luinnar

First Post
Um, I think we should go that way to climb the metal thing to put those large metal things in place. says Christina. She did not know what this big metal creature was, why it was shaking or why people were placing these large metal "beam" things up. But it seemed the best to help these adventurerers.
OOC: Perception to find a good way to climb up = 13

Giving up, she takes a large rope from her pack and ties it to her and Pooh. Here, use this to climb up and put those large metal things in place, she says, offering the rope.
OOC: Christina has bad athletic checks, but with both her and Pooh holding onto the rope, it should enough weight to keep someone from falling if they fell off the side of the ship.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Would it be possible to climb the side of the ship? That would be athletics, yes? And my roll above was supposed to be main roll, not aid, otherwise I'd write aid another in the linky.

OOC: Yes, the side of the ship can be climbed with Athletics. Even the bottom of the ship can be climbed because there are large beams there holding the rings. It's just more dangerous and difficult to do so.

Your Athletics check was to carry and move the heavy beam. That's all you stated in your post that Cairn was doing. It was a successful use of the skill, but it did not by itself add a Success to the challenge.

Because you rolled so well, I gave Baern a +2 circumstance bonus to brace the beam. Since you did not state that Cairn would be bracing the heavy beam and wrote that he was getting it and carrying it over, I stated in my post that Cairn would be assisting with the bracing and someone else would be bracing it (but johnmeier1 must not have understood my meaning and thought that Baern would be assisting).

Because Baern was successful in bracing the beam, I gave the team a Success towards the challenge.

People. If you are going to use a skill check for something specific, you have to be clear. Only writing "Athletics" in the IC link or "Arcana" in the IC link doesn't tell me what you are doing. Please write in the IC link specifically what the PC is doing. Write "Athletics to brace the beam" or "Athletics to carry the heavy beam" or "Arcana to aid Nyar". Please be specific in IC and not tell me your intent after the dice is rolled. It's not just the dice that drive the results, it's also what is written down by the players.

PS. It's not always one dice roll to get to a Success. Sometimes, a bunch of different skills need to be done before a Success or a Failure can happen.

Luinnar

First Post
Ahh! This thing sure rocks back and forth a lot! Christina shouts, almost loosing her footing.

OOC: Acrobatics=9

Hello everyone! Christina shouts to everyone. I think I found a way to bring those big metal thingies she says pointing to a beam to fix the broken metal things.

If you use those handholds the creature has there. she says pointing You can get to the side and bottom of the Big Metal Creature and put those metal thingies into place.

OOC: Perception=29

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases