D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 optimization challenge

Carpone

First Post
The melee options feel unexciting. The most interesting I could come up with is a human Ranger 3 / Fighter 1 / Barbarian 1 / Horizon Walker 1, with the plan to take HW up to 6 for dimension door. Good skills for a nautical campaign (Profession Sailor, Survival, Knowledge Geography). Add Leadership and he's a captain.

Druid has a great feel with wild shape aquatic forms (giant octopus at level 8 for lots of grappling actions). Probably go the Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning and Natural Spell route, though I've been tempted to go 1 Monk/5 Druid for Improved Grapple, Flurry of Blows and +AC since wilding clasp is not permitted.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The melee options feel unexciting. The most interesting I could come up with is a human Ranger 3 / Fighter 1 / Barbarian 1 / Horizon Walker 1, with the plan to take HW up to 6 for dimension door. Good skills for a nautical campaign (Profession Sailor, Survival, Knowledge Geography). Add Leadership and he's a captain.

Again, I think Scarlet Corsair is fun. But, as with any set of allowed books, full casters are the strongest option, if you want.

Druid has a great feel with wild shape aquatic forms (giant octopus at level 8 for lots of grappling actions). Probably go the Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning and Natural Spell route, though I've been tempted to go 1 Monk/5 Druid for Improved Grapple, Flurry of Blows and +AC since wilding clasp is not permitted.

Druid is certainly a good choice. I like monk 2 for evasion and another feat, but I suppose it's not worth the lost CL and inability to start the game with Natural Spell and Wildshape.

With any wildshape form, though, you're probably better off without using flurry of blows. Minus 2 to all attacks hurts, and using flurry means all of your natural attacks become secondary (-5 to hit and add only half str to damage). Only against foes with pathetically low AC, maybe.

As Monk 1 / Druid 5, you could still start out with Imp. Grapple, Spell Focus, Augment Summoning, and Natural Spell.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I will buck the trend. At level 6 the quadratic wizard does not yet outpace the linear warrior.

But I will ignore both options.

You wanna be evil? Then why not go rogue 5/assassin 1 and be done with it. With a high int you will have a lot of skills (handy on a ship, yes?). And aside from the death attack/poison use stuff, the assassin class speeds up your sneak attack damage a bit.

How high level do you expect the campaign to get?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You have no idea.

Nah, I agree with him. IME, level 6 they're just starting to pull even. They get some save or lose spells before then, but the enemies usually seem to make the save, and a lot of people might find it less satisfying to win like that. Aside from those big moments, before level 6 you often don't have enough spells to cast all day, do equal or less damage than the fighters, and do not yet have the money to spend on utility spells to make the rogue feel worthless.

Dandu

First Post
Nah, I agree with him. IME, level 6 they're just starting to pull even. They get some save or lose spells before then, but the enemies usually seem to make the save, and a lot of people might find it less satisfying to win like that. Aside from those big moments, before level 6 you often don't have enough spells to cast all day, do equal or less damage than the fighters, and do not yet have the money to spend on utility spells to make the rogue feel worthless.
Yo StreamOfTheSky, I'm really happy for you, I'm going to let you finish, but wizards are more powerful than fighters at level 6.

I'd argue that there are enough tricks at level 6 that you've already surpassed people who hit things in front of them (or shoot arrows) by then in terms of contributions to the party in combat, and out of it.

Incidentally, the DC of an Int 18 wizard with no DC boosters is 17 for level 3 spells, 16 for level 2 spells, and 15 for level 1 spells. Popular wizard spells are Grease, Glitterdust, Web, and Slow. What are the reflex and will saves of CR 6 enemies?

Last edited:

BENINHB

First Post
I like Rogue2/Swash3/Assassin1

High INT, DEX and CHA

Fits great with the theme of a Seafaring evil character.

Daring Outlaw would help this build a lot at 6th lvl but it isn't that big of a deal if its not allowed. Its only 2d6 sneak attack your missing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases