Adventure: Lord Byron's High-Seas High-Stakes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Hi there!" Carolina says as she peeks over the cannon. As the pirate looks down she smiles and waves, and then slices his hamstring with her dagger. The pirate staggers while trying to balance on the cannon, and falls overboard when his weight lands on his newly gimped leg.

"Nice talking with you!" she says as he lands in the water. She crouches down again, and darts to the other side of the boat.

[sblock=Actions]
Standard: Positioning Strike vs. Javelin Dancer; 1d20+12+2 hits WILL 28 for 18 damage and pushes target up to 4 squares (or just overboard, in this case); Roll Lookup
Move: to F12
New Stealth check: 1d20+12=19[/sblock]
[sblock=Carolina's stat block]Carolina- Female Halfling Rogue 4
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 11
AC:21, Fort:13, Reflex:19, Will:16 -- Speed:6
HP:39/39, Bloodied:19, Surge Value:9, Surges left:7/7
Initiative +7
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Sly Flourish, Deft Strike, Positioning Strike, Nasty Backswing, Blinding Barrage, Adaptable Flanker
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yes and no. The captain has that 50/50 recharge power that is basically a daily (double damage, plus it knocks you prone). They have low hitpoints and low defenses. But, I agree, giving them double attack makes them quite a bit harder.

If you compare them to Sylen Leafrunner, L3 skirmisher with Twin Strike, they are not they much different. Granted, the pirate archers are dealing their attribute bonus on the double attack and the leafrunner is not.

When Hergunna gets revived, try to put Kruk between yourself and those archers. His 23 AC is pretty hard to hit. [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Sure, the level 8 elite is still stronger than them, I agree. :) But it's basically like having six archers firing at us every round. They may have low HP and defenses, but considering they are in a spot where our melee guys cannot get to them, there is no place we can take cover from them, and we have no true ranged strikers, I'm still thinking they are the most dangerous threat to us in this encounter.

The wolf was the best thing I could come up with to counter and it will be killed this round. If Hergunna runs behind Kruk neither she nor the wolf will be able to attack, so I don't know what I'll do. I may attack one of them anyway. Our only real hope is to drop them as quickly as possible.[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk turns his head just in time to see the surprised pirate splash into the sea. Looking up at Carolina "Aye rogue, what type of trickery did ya do to cause that!"

Kruk chuckles as he yells back at the captain "Don't look now captain but your mates are abandoning ship! ha HAAAAAA!"

renau1g

First Post
Kane stands up and leans against the railing for a moment as his head spins from the assault.

[sblock=Archers]
It's tough as their damage output is similar (although slightly under that) to the level 5 elite artillery - Beholder Gauth (2 attacks/round), but their hp is about 1/2, same as regular level 4. [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
*Note - Tenchuu - Kane's now a half-orc so he gets 5 THP's when first bloodied so his hp should be 5 higher. Ouch...33 damage in 1 turn. 1 more like that and he's out :(

*Until rage ends when Kane hits with Primal melee power, each enemy adjacent to Kane takes 4 damage. Only 1/turn (new errata, can't imagine anyone misreading it as otherwise)

Move: Stand
Minor: n/a
Standard: Second Wind - +13 hp and +2 defenses TSNT

[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Kane Male Bugbear Barbarian 4
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12, Senses: Low-light
AC:21, Fort:19, Reflex:18, Will:14
HP:22/53, Bloodied:26, Surge Value:13, Surges left:9/10
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Howl of Fury
Whirling Rend

Furious Assault
Hunter's Quarry (Ranger MC)
Whirling Lunge
Whirling Frenzy
Brutal Slam
Shrug it Off

Swift Panther Rage
Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Vanguard Weapon

Important Stuff:
+1d8 damage when charging (only using the Vanguard weapon though). Cool stuff happens when he bloodies or kills a bad guy

Conditions:

Full sheet: L4W:CS:Kane - L4W Wiki [/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Get up Hergunna and get over here, we have to keep fighting. Wil calls out to Hergunna as she is revived and pulled towards him by the bard's shout. He looks towards the archers and their barrage and fires two quick arrows at the bloodied one.

[sblock=OOC] Minor: Majestic Word on Hergunna. Healing Surge +7 and slide 1 to H18
Move: Moment of Escape. Slide Hergunna 4 to F16
Standard: Twin Strike on PA in I21 1d20+10=18 1d10+1=5 1d20+10=28 1d10+1=7

I'm back! The next attack that would drop an ally in melee, I will use Arrow of Warning!
[/sblock]

Ministats
[sblock=ministats]
Triggers: Virtue of Prescience (if ally within 5 is hit by less than 2), Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade (if ally misses with melee by less than 6), Arrow of Warning (if bloodied ally is attacked)
Init: +4 Speed: 5 Perception:19 Insight: 17
AC: 19 NAD:14/16/19
HP: 21/40 Surges: 8/8 Surge Value: 10 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:14 Con:13 Int:10 Cha:21

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind, Shout of Triumph, Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry[/s], Majestic Word, Words of Friendship, Moment of Escape, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade, Virtue of Prescience
Daily - Arrow of Warning, Inevitable Shot, Songbow of Vanishment

Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Huh... I'd really, really like to kill one of the archers... if I hit the wounded one with Thorn Whip, I have basically a 50/50 of doing enough damage to kill him. If only I could get combat advantage, or had enough actions to Hunter's Quarry him too, but...

The more stylish move would be to Thorn Whip the one on the boat and pull it in front of the wolf, allowing the wolf to attack too, but that of course has no chance to kill him... hmmm...

Okay, I'm flipping a coin... and style wins! :) (Who am I kidding, Hergunna will miss anyhow. :()[/sblock]
Hergunna-wolf blinks, looks around and shakes her fur, sending droplets of blood flying out. "Thanks, kid," she growls to Wil, then a moment later, "Nice shots!" She struggles to her paws, then shifts back to her human shape and flicks a wrist at one of the archers cornered by the wolf, but the thorny vine strikes the hull of the other ship and falls into the sea harmlessly. The snarling wolf closes in on the lucky archer.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Stand up
Minor: Wild Shape to Human
Standard: Miss with a 3. Getting really, really tired of this. :mad:
Instinctive (wolf): Move to K24

Ok wolf, let's have a miracle and you survive one more round! You only need to be missed by two (or possibly three) attacks that are at like 70% to hit you! Wouldn't that be something?[/sblock]
[sblock=Hergunna stat block]Hergunna- Female Human Druid 4
Human Form
Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 21
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18 -- Speed:7
HP:18/46, Bloodied:23, Surge Value:11, Surges left:7/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Daily Item Uses: 0, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers:
Thorn Whip, Call of the Beast, Chill Wind, Savage Rend, Wild Shape

Thorn Spray, Resist Energy, Predator's Flurry, Hunter's Quarry

Summon Pack Wolf

Death Fang Totem, Bracers of Respite
[/sblock]
[sblock=Summoned Wolf]
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18
HP: 6/23[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
Bloodied and nearly beaten, the Captain yells, "Ignore the dog, you yellow-bellied bastards! Give me cover fire!"

The archers grumbled, but obliged, unleashing a salvo on the two attackers closest to the captain. One bolt hit Kruk, while two pierced the dragonscale that Kane wore. Though barely standing, the barbarian recalled how Wil's arrows also pierced the dragon hide.

The Quartermaster shuffle-stepped toward Kane and swung up with his morning star. Despite being covered in blood, nearly dead, the barbarian deflected the attack.

The Captain deftly whipped his chains around, tripping up Kruk and sending him tumbling away. The dwarf cracked his head against the deck, and warm blood began to flow down the back of his neck.

"Perhaps it's time to call a truce," The Captain said, limping back toward the corner of the ship, closer to his own vessel.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Pirate Archer M20
Standard: Quickshot vs Kruk and Kane
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=14 Miss
Attack Kane: 1d20+11-2=16 Miss

Pirate Archer I21
Standard: Quickshot vs Kruk and Kane
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=20
Attack Kane: 1d20+11-2=28
Damage: 1d8+5=10

Pirate Archer K25
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=23
Damage: 1d8+5=9
Attack Kane: 1d20+11-2=26
Damage: 1d8+5=11

Pirate Quartermaster
Move: shift to F20
Standard: Morning Star vs Kane
Attack: 1d20+14-2=20

Captain Smargat
Flail Trip Recharge: 1d6=6 Recharged
Standard: Flail Trip vs Kruk (FORT)
Attack: 1d20+11+2-2=21 Hit
Damage: 2d10+7=21
Effect: Kruk is Prone and slides to G19
Move: to I20
Save vs Slowed: 1d20=10 saved.

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: F14 21/40 HS 10/10 AP 1 MW 0/2
Hergunna: F16 18/46 HS 7/9 AP 1, Bloodied
Kane: F19 1/53 THP 0/5 HS 9/10 AP 0, Bloodied,
Kruk: G19 25/55 THP 0/13 HS 10/12 AP 1, Bloodied, SW Used
Carolina: F12 39/39 HS 7/7 AP 1
Summoned Wolf: L23 6/23 (AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18)

Enemies:
Captain Smargat: I20 41/178 AP 0, Bloodied, Slowed, Marked by Kruk,
Pirate Quartermaster: F21 44/82,
Pirate Archer: M20 45/45 Bolts 12/20
Pirate Archer: I21 10/45 Bolts 12/20, Bloodied
Pirate Archer: K25 45/45 Bolts 12/20

Javelin Dancer: I14 0/70 Jav 1/3, In the Drink
Thug: G20 0/1 Dead
Thug: I20
0/1 Dead
Pirate 1st Mate: G18 -1/136 AP 0, Dead
[/sblock][sblock=map]
Byron2-1-6.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Captain Smargat
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 8 Elite Skirmisher
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +6
HP 178; Bloodied 89
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 20, Will 20
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Flail (standard, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+7 damage, and Smargat shifts 1 square. Reach 2.
Flail Trip (standard; requires a flail and combat advantage against the target, recharge 4,5,6 ) Weapon
+11 vs Fortitude; 2d10+7 damage, and Smargat slides the target 1 square and the target falls prone. Smargat shifts 1 square.
Parrying Chains (immediate interrupt, when a melee attack hits or misses smargat; requires two flails, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and Smargat gains a +2 bonus to the defense that the triggering attack targeted against the triggering attack.
Whirling Escape (free, when a melee or close attack misses smargat; at-will)
Smargat shifts 1 square.

Pirate Archers (reskin: Chevkos's Crossbowman, customized)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 4* Artillery
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +4
HP 45; Bloodied 22
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 16
Speed 6
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+9 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage.
Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
15/30; +11 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage.
Quick Shot (standard, at-will)
The crossbowman makes crossbow attacks against two different targets.

Pirate Quartermaster (reskin: Waterdeep Street Thug)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 7 Soldier
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +5
HP 82; Bloodied 41
AC 21; Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 17
Speed 6
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and target is marked until the end of the thug’s next turn.
Poisoned Dagger (standard, encounter) Poison, Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +14 vs AC; 1d4+6 damage, ongoing 5 poison damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends both).
Rattling Smash (standard, encounter) Fear, Weapon
+12 vs Will; 2d10+8 damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of its next turn. If the target was marked by the tough, the target is also dazed until the end of the tough’s next turn.

Human Javelin Dancer
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Skirmisher
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +4
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 17
Speed 6
Spear (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 1d8+3 damage.
Mobile Attack (standard, at-will)
The human javelin dancer shifts 3 squares and makes one spear attack during the move.
Javelin (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +12 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage.
Adept Retreat
A human javelin dancer does not grant combat advantage from running.
Skirmish
If a human javelin dancer ends its move at least 4 squares from the square where it started the move, its attacks deal 1d6 extra damage until the start of its next turn.
Notable Equipment: Enduring Beast Armor +1

Pirate 1st Mate (Reskin: Amreth Gaunt)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Elite Skirmisher (Leader)
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +11
HP 136; Bloodied 68
AC 21; Fortitude 17, Reflex 19, Will 18 ; +2 to all defenses against opportunity attacks
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Fencing Strikes (standard, at-will) Weapon
Gaunt makes a short sword attack and a dagger attack (melee or ranged), and he shifts 1 square after each attack.
Surprise Counter (immediate interrupt, when hit or missed by a melee attack, recharge 5,6 ) Weapon
Gaunt can shift 1 square before the attack; he gains combat advantage against the target (included in attack and damage); targets the triggering attacker; +13 vs AC; 3d6+4 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of Gaunt’s next turn.
Muddling Slash (standard; requires short sword, encounter) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and the target is slowed and grants combat advantage (save ends both), and it slides 2 squares.
Blinding Bomb (standard, at-will) Weapon
Area burst 1 within 10; +8 vs Fortitude; the target treats all nonadjacent squares as lightly obscured until the end of Gaunt’s next turn. This attack doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
Ignoble Escape (move; encounter)
Gaunt ends any marked condition currently affecting him, and he shifts 6 squares.
Combat Advantage
Gaunt deals 2d6 extra damage when he hits a creature he has combat advantage against.
Quick Draw
Gaunt can draw an item as part of the same action required to use that item.
[/sblock][sblock=Notes on enemy interrupts]
Captain Smargat
1. Any melee attack will trigger his Parrying chains ability. Go ahead and roll the attack for this.
2. A missed melee or close attack will trigger his Whirling escape. I will decide if he uses these.
[/sblock][sblock=Dim Light]
Characters who have normal vision can’t see well in dim light: Creatures in the area have concealment. Characters who have low-light vision or darkvision see normally in dim light.

So, all of the enemies will have -2 to hit everyone else.
[/sblock][sblock=Free Pass on OA]I just now realized that Kruk should have taken an OA from his move. But, we'll just call it a miss this time around.[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
yea for the no OA! Kruk has used his AP though
[/sblock]

Kruk gets up and shakes his head. Unable to attack the captain, he swipes at the nearest foe, hitting for a minor wound. It is obvious that the archers are starting to take their toll on the dwarf and half-orc.

[sblock=actions]
minor: activate cloak power: 5 resist to all attacks
movement: get up
action: brash attack against quartermaster: 1d20+12 vs AC: 22 for 1d10+8=9
[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
Kruk- Male Dwarf Fighter Level 4

*Adverse Condition: None
*Initiative: +2
*Passive Insight 14
*Passive Perception 14
*Senses low light vision
*HP 55
*Bloodied 24 Surge Value 12; Surges Per-Day 12 10
*AC 23 Fortitude 21 Reflex 15 Will 15 Speed 5
*Save +5 vs. poison
+armor bonuses: resist 5 fire & resist 5 necrotic
*action Points: USED
*Second Wind: USED
basic attack:+1 Thundering Battleaxe: To Hit: +10: Damage 1d10+5: additional 1d6 for a crit
Powers
*1 healing potion: reward from To Catch a Crimelord
*At will:
Brash Strike
Resolute Shield
*Encounter:
Passing Attack
Bull Charge
Boot Power
*Daily
Comeback Strike USED
Unstopable: USED
Thundering Weapon power USED
Cloak Power USED
Boot Power

[sblock=More Kruk Info]
Kruk - Dwarf Guardian Fighter 4

Initiative: +2, Passive perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14

Defenses:
AC: 23, For: 21, Ref: 15, Will: 15

Vitality:
HP: 55, Surges: 12 Surge Value 13

Languages:
Common, Dwaren

Basic Attacks:
Melee: 1 Battleaxe of Thundering +10 Vs AC 1d10+5 (crit: additional 1d6 thunder damage)
Ranged: Throwing Axe +9 Vs AC 1d6+4

Powers:
Brash Attack, Resolute Shield, Magic Weapon
Passing Attack , Bull Charge, Boot Power
Comback Strike, Unstoppable, Cloak Power, Boot Power, Armor Power, Weapon Power

Weapons:
Battleaxe of Thundering +1

Kruk's Sheet
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
At the pirate captain's comment Wil lowers he bow for a moment. He strolls over to the other side of the boat and eyes the other ship curiously. A truce sounds wonderful, if only your archers weren't so cowardly as to stay over there. At the last comment, sticks out his tongue at the nearest archer. His hand strums the long bow like a lute to make a mocking BWONNG sound.

[sblock=OOC] Okay if either Kane or Kruk are attacked again in melee I am going to drop Arrow of Warning
Move: Walk to I16
Minor: Hunter's Quarry the archer at M20 (he looks like he is standing on the edge of the ship? I want to pull him into the water. If not, I will do this on the captain and the Cutting Words on the archer in I21, pull to H19)
Standard: Cutting Words on archer in M20 1d20+8=23 (vs Will) for 1d8+6=9 + 1d6=5 for 14 damage (pull 2 squares off ship Save? 1d20=2 nope)
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Triggers: Arrow of Warning (if bloodied ally is attacked)
Init: +4 Speed: 5 Perception:19 Insight: 17
AC: 19 NAD:14/16/19
HP: 21/40 Surges: 8/8 Surge Value: 10 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:14 Con:13 Int:10 Cha:21

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind, Shout of Triumph, Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry, Majestic Word, Words of Friendship, Moment of Escape, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade, Virtue of Prescience
Daily - Arrow of Warning, Inevitable Shot, Songbow of Vanishment

Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases