Adventure: Lord Byron's High-Seas High-Stakes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=OOC] dimsdale didn't say, but I will help his attack to hit.
1d20+10=23 (vs 1st mate reflex) for 1d10+6=7 damage and he has -5 to all defenses. That is enough for the attack to hit even if not prone (his AC is 16 now)

I will have limited internet access until May 10th, so I wanted to use this now. Hopefully I can post once per turn, but otherwise I have some good at will powers :) If you are within 5 squares feel free to use my interrupt.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
sorry John1. I thought it wouldn't work because he was not prone. But you are saying it doesn't matter. So in that case. Kruk will role some damage then.
[/sblock]

occ: Damage roll on first mate from brash strike attack: 1d10+8 = 16. Kruk grants CA to first mate until the beginning of Kruk's next turn.

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Computer Issues Resolved?]Well, that was annoying. Maptool got into some kind of endless memory usage loop with my previous campaign file. So, to save time re-doing, and also to avoid the same issue, I used a screenshot of the map as the background. As a result, if combat strays off the Wind's Wil, it's going to look crappy. Sorry.

Speaking of which, the other ship is much taller, so getting from the Will to it's deck will require some kind of grappling hook.
[/sblock][sblock=Kruk]I agree with your logic, and I gave you your action point back.[/sblock]

Nodding to Wil, Porse said, "Looks like you've got this covered. We'll wait below deck. Come on boys!" Without a moment to spare, the Captain's mate jumped down into the cargo hold and scrambled out of sight. The two deck hands followed suit.

The Pirate Captain smiled after Kane's attack. "A flying bugbear. Don't see that everyday. I'll be sure to hang your head in my quarters."

Captain Smargat shifted around to flank Kane, whipping his chains around the barbarian's legs and yanking hard. The attack threw Kane to the deck and sent him sliding to the rail. The captain performed an unorthodox pirouette at the same time, moving closer to the port rail. "Take the dwarf, Matey," The captain ordered, then bellowing over his shoulder back at the pirate ship, "AND ON WITH THE REST OF YOU LIVERY DOGS!"

The 1st Mate nodded to the captain's orders, but as he turned to face Kruk, blood poured from his nose. The pirate haphazardly wiped his face with his forearm, then lunged forward. The pirates arms were a blur to the others as he attacked, side stepped, attacked again, side stepped back, and attacked once more. But the small fencer's blades could not get past the dwarf's heavy defenses.

On queue from the captain's orders, a pirate with a long spear swung from a rope onto the boat; The rope quickly retracted back by a pirate deck hand. A second pirate leaped from the deck of the higher pirate ship onto the rear of the Wind's Will.

To cover their advance, the pirate archers let loose a rain of bolts across the deck, targeting Hergunna and Kruk. Two bolts struck Hergunna: one in the left shoulder and one in her check. Only one hit Kruk, but it found a gap in the dwarfs armor, hitting his neck.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Captain Smargat
Effect: takes 5 ongoing
Move: Shift to G19
Standard: Flail Trip vs kane
Attack: 1d20+11+2=32 (forgot -2)
Damage: 2d10+7=15
Effect on Kane: knocked Prone. Slide to F19
Effect on Smargat: Shift to H19
Save vs ongoing: 1d20=17

Pirate 1st Mate
Effect: takes 5 ongoing
Standard: Muddling Slash vs Kruk
Attack: 1d20+11+2=24 (forgot -2) Miss
AP: Fencing Strikes
Attack1: 1d20+11+2-2=19 Miss
Attack2: 1d20+11+2-2=12 Miss
Attack Shifts: He shifts over and back, so his net position does not change
Move: Shift to G20
Save vs ongoing: 1d20=16

Javelin Dancer
Move: to H21

Pirate Quartermaster
Move: to I21

Pirate Archer L21
Standard: Quickshot vs Hergunna and Kruk
Wil Interupt Virtue of Prescience on Hergunna. +2 to AC
Attack Hergunna: 1d20+11-2=18 Miss
Damage: N/A
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=21 Miss

Pirate Archer K23
Attack Hergunna: 1d20+11-2=14 Miss
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=20 Miss

Pirate Archer K24
Attack Hergunna: 1d20+11-2=20
Damage: 1d8+5=7
Attack Kruk: 1d20+11-2=29 CRIT
Damage: 1d8+5= 13

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: G18 40/40 HS 10/10 AP 1 MW 2/2
Hergunna: I10 39/46 HS 9/9 AP 1
Kane: F19 38/53 HS 10/10 AP 0, Prone
Kruk: F20 42/55 HS 12/12 AP 1
Carolina: G10 39/39 HS 7/7 AP 1

Enemies:
Captain Smargat: H19 131/178 AP 1,
Pirate 1st Mate: G20 65/136 AP 0, Bloodied,
Javelin Dancer: H21 70/70 Jav 3/3
Pirate Quartermaster: I21 82/82
Pirate Archer: L21 45/45 Bolts 18/20
Pirate Archer: K23 45/45 Bolts 18/20
Pirate Archer: K24 45/45 Bolts 18/20

Thug: G20 0/1 Dead
Thug: I20
0/1 Dead

[/sblock][sblock=map]
Byron2-1-3.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Captain Smargat
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 8 Elite Skirmisher
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +6
HP 178; Bloodied 89
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 20, Will 20
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Flail (standard, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+7 damage, and Smargat shifts 1 square. Reach 2.
Flail Trip (standard; requires a flail and combat advantage against the target, recharge 4,5,6 ) Weapon
+11 vs Fortitude; 2d10+7 damage, and Smargat slides the target 1 square and the target falls prone. Smargat shifts 1 square.
Parrying Chains (immediate interrupt, when a melee attack hits or misses smargat; requires two flails, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and Smargat gains a +2 bonus to the defense that the triggering attack targeted against the triggering attack.
Whirling Escape (free, when a melee or close attack misses smargat; at-will)
Smargat shifts 1 square.

Pirate 1st Mate (Reskin: Amreth Gaunt)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Elite Skirmisher (Leader)
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +11
HP 136; Bloodied 68
AC 21; Fortitude 17, Reflex 19, Will 18 ; +2 to all defenses against opportunity attacks
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Fencing Strikes (standard, at-will) Weapon
Gaunt makes a short sword attack and a dagger attack (melee or ranged), and he shifts 1 square after each attack.
Surprise Counter (immediate interrupt, when hit or missed by a melee attack, recharge 5,6 ) Weapon
Gaunt can shift 1 square before the attack; he gains combat advantage against the target (included in attack and damage); targets the triggering attacker; +13 vs AC; 3d6+4 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of Gaunt’s next turn.
Muddling Slash (standard; requires short sword, encounter) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and the target is slowed and grants combat advantage (save ends both), and it slides 2 squares.
Blinding Bomb (standard, at-will) Weapon
Area burst 1 within 10; +8 vs Fortitude; the target treats all nonadjacent squares as lightly obscured until the end of Gaunt’s next turn. This attack doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
Ignoble Escape (move; encounter)
Gaunt ends any marked condition currently affecting him, and he shifts 6 squares.
Combat Advantage
Gaunt deals 2d6 extra damage when he hits a creature he has combat advantage against.
Quick Draw
Gaunt can draw an item as part of the same action required to use that item.

Pirate Archers (reskin: Chevkos's Crossbowman)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 4 Artillery
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +4
HP 45; Bloodied 22
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 16
Speed 6
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+9 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage.
Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
15/30; +11 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage.
Quick Shot (standard, encounter)
The crossbowman makes crossbow attacks against two different targets.

Pirate Quartermaster (reskin: Waterdeep Street Thug
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 7 Soldier
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +5
HP 82; Bloodied 41
AC 21; Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 17
Speed 6
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and target is marked until the end of the thug’s next turn.
Poisoned Dagger (standard, encounter) Poison, Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +14 vs AC; 1d4+6 damage, ongoing 5 poison damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends both).
Rattling Smash (standard, encounter) Fear, Weapon
+12 vs Will; 2d10+8 damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of its next turn. If the target was marked by the tough, the target is also dazed until the end of the tough’s next turn.

Human Javelin Dancer
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Skirmisher
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +4
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 17
Speed 6
Spear (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 1d8+3 damage.
Mobile Attack (standard, at-will)
The human javelin dancer shifts 3 squares and makes one spear attack during the move.
Javelin (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +12 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage.
Adept Retreat
A human javelin dancer does not grant combat advantage from running.
Skirmish
If a human javelin dancer ends its move at least 4 squares from the square where it started the move, its attacks deal 1d6 extra damage until the start of its next turn.
Notable Equipment: Enduring Beast Armor +1

Thug
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 8 Minion
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +4
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 20; Fortitude 20, Reflex 20, Will 19
Speed 6
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 7 damage.
Beatdown (standard; requires combat advantage, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 7 damage, and the thug knocks the target prone.
[/sblock][sblock=Notes on enemy interrupts]
Captain Smargat
1. Any melee attack will trigger his Parrying chains ability. Go ahead and roll the attack for this.
2. A missed melee or close attack will trigger his Whirling escape. I will decide if he uses these.

1st Mate
Any melee attack triggers the surprise counter, if it is charged. Go ahead of roll for this. Don't forget the bonuses to hit and damage for combat advantage.
[/sblock][sblock=Dim Light]
Characters who have normal vision can’t see well in dim light: Creatures in the area have concealment. Characters who have low-light vision or darkvision see normally in dim light.

So, all of the enemies will have -2 to hit everyone else.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
[sbock=ooc]
Thank's for the AP redo Tenchuu
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

"Ha HAAAA" Kruk screams with a frenzied look on his face. He then turns to his left, and does a double take as he sees Kane. "Aye buggaboo. Where did you come from? What do ya say ya get up and help me finish this guy off!" referring to the first mate. With that, Kruk's axe hits the first mate in the chest with a sickening thud. On impact, flashes of lightning and a booming sound of thunder make the power of the blow even more severe. Kruk turns to the captain before swinging at the first mate again. "I don't know how long you've known this guy...but I think he's seen better days ha HAAAA!" As he laughs his axe strikes true again.

[sblock=actions]
movement: none
minor: none
attack: brash attack: 1d20+10+2=24 for 1d10+8=18 and use thundering weapon power as a free action for an additional 1d8=2

CA granted to 1st mate until end of his next turn

AP: Comeback Strike (Daily): 1d20+10 vs AC: 22 for 2d10+5=16 and Kruk gets to spend a Healing surge bring his HP for 13 hp bringing him back up to full health

kruk marks the first mate
[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
Kruk- Male Dwarf Fighter Level 4

*Adverse Condition: None
*Initiative: +2
*Passive Insight 14
*Passive Perception 14
*Senses low light vision
*HP 55
*Bloodied 24 Surge Value 12; Surges Per-Day 12 11
*AC 23 Fortitude 21 Reflex 15 Will 15 Speed 5
*Save +5 vs. poison
+armor bonuses: resist 5 fire & resist 5 necrotic
*action Points: USED
*Second Wind: 1
basic attack:+1 Thundering Battleaxe: To Hit: +10: Damage 1d10+5: additional 1d6 for a crit
Powers
*At will:
Brash Strike
Resolute Shield
*Encounter:
Passing Attack
Bull Charge
Boot Power
*Daily
Comeback Strike USED
Unstopable
Thundering Weapon power USED
Cloak Power
Boot Power

[sblock=More Kruk Info]
Kruk - Dwarf Guardian Fighter 4

Initiative: +2, Passive perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14

Defenses:
AC: 23, For: 21, Ref: 15, Will: 15

Vitality:
HP: 55, Surges: 12 Surge Value 13

Languages:
Common, Dwaren

Basic Attacks:
Melee: 1 Battleaxe of Thundering +10 Vs AC 1d10+5 (crit: additional 1d6 thunder damage)
Ranged: Throwing Axe +9 Vs AC 1d6+4

Powers:
Brash Attack, Resolute Shield, Magic Weapon
Passing Attack , Bull Charge, Boot Power
Comback Strike, Unstoppable, Cloak Power, Boot Power, Armor Power, Weapon Power

Weapons:
Battleaxe of Thundering +1

Kruk's Sheet
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So, does the first mate use his Surprise Counter against Kruk? I kind of need to know, in particular whether he uses the shift that comes with it.

I'm thinking of running into the middle of them for Predator's Flurry, then wild shape/shift back, action point, and Thorn Spray. (Although I will be subject to an OA from the captain followed by his parrying chains, which could be very very bad.) But I need to know where the first mate is...

These interrupts and reactions are a pain. But obviously they are a big part of the pirates' abilities.

(Alternatively I could just move next to Kane for Thorn Spray... it would be a lot safer. From G19 I could target all enemies except the first mate... but again, need to know where the first mate is!)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=interrupts]They can be a pain. It did trigger, but IC likes you guys this round (well, at least it likes Kruk. It might still hate Hergunna :p)

If I did the math right, 1st mate is now at 29 HP.[/sblock]

The 1st Mate immediately countered with a deadly thrust, but the attack glanced off Kruk's thick armor.

"Hah! You fight well with axe and words, master dwarf. Perhaps you can take his place when we're done here," The Pirate Captain said, almost jovial. "You hear that matey? It's survival of the fittest on the open seas. Pick it up, or else! I've no use for weak men on my boat."

[sblock=mechanics]
Pirate 1st Mate
Immediate Interrupt: Surprise Counter
Does not shift
Attack: 1d20+13+2-2=16 Miss
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Thanks, Tenchuu!

I think I'm gonna go with plan B (Thorn Spray only).[/sblock]

Hergunna-wolf lopes across the deck, heedless of the bolts which have struck her, swinging wide around the pirates. As she reaches Kane's side she shifts back to her human form, standing right in the face of the smirking pirate captain. "Survival of the fittest, huh?" she says sardonically, then throws her arms wide. A storm of wickedly barbed thorns zip through the fog, blanketing the captain and his entire crew. Only the quartermaster and one archer avoid the stinging missiles.

[sblock=Actions]Move to F18
Minor: Wild Shape to human (shift to G19)
Thorn Spray vs Captain, JD, Quartermaster, Archer@L21, Archer@K23, Archer@K24 (1d20+7=24, 1d20+7=20, 1d20+7=13, 1d20+7=13, 1d20+7=23, 1d20+7=18). vs Fort. Hits Captain, javelin dancer, and archers at K23 and K24. 10 damage and -4 to attacks TENT Hergunna.[/sblock]
[sblock=Hergunna stat block]Hergunna- Female Human Druid 4
Human Form
Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 21
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18 -- Speed:7
HP:28/46, Bloodied:23, Surge Value:11, Surges left:9/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Daily Item Uses: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers:
Thorn Whip, Call of the Beast, Chill Wind, Savage Rend, Wild Shape

Thorn Spray, Resist Energy, Predator's Flurry, Hunter's Quarry

Summon Pack Wolf

Death Fang Totem, Bracers of Respite
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Wil/Tenchuu]Ooops, I was going to mention this but I forgot. Can Wil use his virtue of Prescience to negate the first hit on Hergunna? Assuming he was close enough which I think he was (5 squares).[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Carolina peeks over the cannon and tosses her dagger again at the pirate captain. Again, the dagger finds its mark, and then vanishes only to reappear in the rogue's waiting hand.

The halfling inches forward, crouching between the two cannons in preparation for another strike.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Sly Flourish vs. Smargat; 1d20+12+2 hits AC 31 for 20 damage (Roll Lookup)
Move: Sneak to I14; Stealth check to become hidden: 1d20+12=32

Sure could've used that natural 20 on the first roll![/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=ryry/john]Speaking of disliking interrupts... :p

I don't mind doing that retcon, but the power bonus to AC is +2, so the first attack still hits. The net benefit of the retcon would be +7 hp.

Still want to do it?

Duh. Had that reversed. So, net change is +11.

I made the change in the status and mechanics blocks of the last post.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads