Adventure: Lord Byron's High-Seas High-Stakes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Yeah, let's go with it. Also, can Kane tie his rope so that one of the ends is on the cross-beam and the other in his hand? I'd like to be able to swing down all pirate-like... [/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
The Adventurers sat silently in the dense fog as the boat gently rocked. Porse stood on the deck with his two crewman, and he lit a torch, which did little to improve visibility. The irritable man passed the deck, looking for any sign of sudden ground.

After half an hour of wading in the fog, the 1st mate paused in mid stride. He cocked his head to better hear. He waiting a moment longer, in tense silence, before a slamming sound came from the aft of the ship. And then another, and another. And then two more.

Looking to the rear of the ship, the ghostly form of another ship faded in to view. The new ship was much larger: the deck a full 6 feet higher than the Wind's Will's. Gruff pirates swung over and down from other ship on thick ropes.

"Oy! I'm here for the loot! Stand down, or be slaughtered. Captain Smargat plays no games!"

[sblock=Mechanics]
NPCs end their turn after boarding ship and making demands.

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: G18 40/40 HS 10/10 AP 1 MW 2/2
Hergunna: I10 46/46 HS 9/9 AP 1
Kane: G11 53/53 HS 10/10 AP 1
Kruk: H18 55/55 HS 12/12 AP 1
Carolina: G10 39/39 HS 7/7 AP 1

Porse: I14 25/25
Deckhand: F12 1/1
Deckhand: F16 1/1

Enemies:
Captain Smargat: H21 178/178 AP 1
Pirate 1st Mate: G21 136/136 AP 1
Pirate Quartermaster: K22 82/82
Pirate Archer: L21 45/45
Pirate Archer: K23 45/45
Pirate Archer: K24 45/45
Javelin Dancer: ??? 70/70
Thugs: G20 1/1
Thugs: F21 1/1
Thugs: I20 1/1

[/sblock][sblock=map]
Byron2-2-2.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Captain Smargat
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 8 Elite Skirmisher
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +6
HP 178; Bloodied 89
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 20, Will 20
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Flail (standard, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+7 damage, and Smargat shifts 1 square. Reach 2.
Flail Trip (standard; requires a flail and combat advantage against the target, recharge 4,5,6 ) Weapon
+11 vs Fortitude; 2d10+7 damage, and Smargat slides the target 1 square and the target falls prone. Smargat shifts 1 square.
Parrying Chains (immediate interrupt, when a melee attack hits or misses smargat; requires two flails, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and Smargat gains a +2 bonus to the defense that the triggering attack targeted against the triggering attack.
Whirling Escape (free, when a melee or close attack misses smargat; at-will)
Smargat shifts 1 square.

Pirate 1st Mate (Reskin: Amreth Gaunt)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Elite Skirmisher (Leader)
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +11
HP 136; Bloodied 68
AC 21; Fortitude 17, Reflex 19, Will 18 ; +2 to all defenses against opportunity attacks
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Dagger (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +11 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage.
Fencing Strikes (standard, at-will) Weapon
Gaunt makes a short sword attack and a dagger attack (melee or ranged), and he shifts 1 square after each attack.
Surprise Counter (immediate interrupt, when hit or missed by a melee attack, recharge 5,6 ) Weapon
Gaunt can shift 1 square before the attack; he gains combat advantage against the target (included in attack and damage); targets the triggering attacker; +13 vs AC; 3d6+4 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of Gaunt’s next turn.
Muddling Slash (standard; requires short sword, encounter) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 2d6+5 damage, and the target is slowed and grants combat advantage (save ends both), and it slides 2 squares.
Blinding Bomb (standard, at-will) Weapon
Area burst 1 within 10; +8 vs Fortitude; the target treats all nonadjacent squares as lightly obscured until the end of Gaunt’s next turn. This attack doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
Ignoble Escape (move; encounter)
Gaunt ends any marked condition currently affecting him, and he shifts 6 squares.
Combat Advantage
Gaunt deals 2d6 extra damage when he hits a creature he has combat advantage against.
Quick Draw
Gaunt can draw an item as part of the same action required to use that item.

Pirate Archers (reskin: Chevkos's Crossbowman)
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 4 Artillery
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +4
HP 45; Bloodied 22
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 16
Speed 6
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+9 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage.
Crossbow (standard, at-will) Weapon
15/30; +11 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage.
Quick Shot (standard, encounter)
The crossbowman makes crossbow attacks against two different targets.

Pirate Quartermaster (reskin: Waterdeep Street Thug
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 7 Soldier
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +5
HP 82; Bloodied 41
AC 21; Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 17
Speed 6
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
+14 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage, and target is marked until the end of the thug’s next turn.
Poisoned Dagger (standard, encounter) Poison, Weapon
Ranged 5/10; +14 vs AC; 1d4+6 damage, ongoing 5 poison damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends both).
Rattling Smash (standard, encounter) Fear, Weapon
+12 vs Will; 2d10+8 damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of its next turn. If the target was marked by the tough, the target is also dazed until the end of the tough’s next turn.

Human Javelin Dancer
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 6 Skirmisher
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +4
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 17
Speed 6
Spear (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 1d8+3 damage.
Mobile Attack (standard, at-will)
The human javelin dancer shifts 3 squares and makes one spear attack during the move.
Javelin (standard, at-will) Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +12 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage.
Adept Retreat
A human javelin dancer does not grant combat advantage from running.
Skirmish
If a human javelin dancer ends its move at least 4 squares from the square where it started the move, its attacks deal 1d6 extra damage until the start of its next turn.

Thug
Medium natural humanoid, human Level 8 Minion
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +4
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 20; Fortitude 20, Reflex 20, Will 19
Speed 6
Morningstar (standard, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 7 damage.
Beatdown (standard; requires combat advantage, at-will) Weapon
+11 vs AC; 7 damage, and the thug knocks the target prone.
[/sblock][sblock=Notes on enemy interrupts]
Captain Smargat
1. Any melee attack will trigger his Parrying chains ability. Go ahead and roll the attack for this.
2. A missed melee or close attack will trigger his Whirling escape. I will decide if he uses these.

1st Mate
Any melee attack triggers the surprise counter, if it is charged. Go ahead of roll for this. Don't forget the bonuses to hit and damage for combat advantage.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
"We're not playing games either," Hergunna mutters. She touches the feather-adorned tooth around her neck and throws out a hand. The marine breeze around the pirates swirls into a blast of arctic air. The captain and one of his thugs resist, but the first mate and another thug are not so lucky. The thug is blown clear of the ship while the first mate slips on a suddenly icy deck, landing flat on his back.

The big woman drops forward onto all fours, her hands turning to paws just before they touch the deck, and the she-wolf lopes forward.

[sblock=ooc]Is it possible to get superior cover (for a Stealth check) by getting into the boat? Or any other way of getting superior cover or total concealment? Also, does the fog provide any concealment?

Not sure what to do with the rest of my turn until I know the answer to that. (But it will just involve moving and possibly shifting to wolf form, nothing fancy.)[/sblock]
[sblock=Actions]Standard: Chill Wind @j20. I believe Hergunna should be hidden so she has combat advantage.
Chill Wind vs Captain, 1st Mate, G20 thug, I20 thug (1d20+7+2=12, 1d20+7+2=22, 1d20+7+2=12, 1d20+7+2=29) Waste of a crit on the thug, too bad.
I'm assuming I can try to slide the first mate off the back of the ship, and that he gets a saving throw, right?
Damage on First Mate, also his save vs. slide (1d6+1=5, 1d20=18) Rats. Well, 5 cold damage plus he is now prone.

Minor: Wild Shape to Wolf
Move: to I16
[/sblock]
[sblock=Hergunna stat block]Hergunna- Female Human Druid 4
Wolf Form
Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 21
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:18 -- Speed:7
HP:46/46, Bloodied:23, Surge Value:11, Surges left:9/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Daily Item Uses: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers:
Thorn Whip, Call of the Beast, Chill Wind, Savage Rend, Wild Shape

Thorn Spray, Resist Energy, Predator's Flurry, Hunter's Quarry

Summon Pack Wolf

Death Fang Totem, Bracers of Respite
[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Wil pops up just after Hergunna BOO! he shouts and it builds into a thunder that ripples out in a wave towards the boarding pirates. One of the thugs jumps, windmills his arms and falls back off the boat but the first mate holds on to the edge of the deck and the captain just leers.

[sblock=OOC] I think when Hergunna missed the captain he gets to shift. Imagine he will shift towards us in order to get a melee attack off later (like if I miss). If he shifts to I20 or I21 I will target him and the First Mate and G20 thug. If he shifts to H20 I can also get the F20 thug and I will use Hunter's Quarry on the captain. I have combat advantage if they didn't beat my Stealth of 22

Standard: Shout of Triumph vs Captain, First Mate, Thug G20, Thug H20 1d20+8+2=11 1d20+8+2=14 1d20+8+2=25 1d20+8+2=16 1d6+6=7 thunder damage ARGH!

So the Captain gets to shift again and I only kill Thug G20. This royally sucks. He might move adjacent to me and Hergunna (wait, she moved) so that will determine where I move and if I still have a minor action.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tenchuu] Could you please shift the captain twice :p [/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Triggers: Virtue of Prescience (if ally within 5 is hit by less than 2), Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade (if ally misses with melee by less than 6), Arrow of Warning (if bloodied ally is attacked)
Init: +4 Speed: 5 Perception:19 Insight: 17
AC: 19 NAD:14/16/19
HP: 40/40 Surges: 8/8 Surge Value: 10 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:14 Con:13 Int:10 Cha:21

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind, Shout of Triumph, Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry, Majestic Word, Words of Friendship, Moment of Escape, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade, Virtue of Prescience
Daily - Arrow of Warning, Inevitable Shot, Songbow of Vanishment

Full Character Sheet
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=no shift from Hergunna's miss]That was an area burst, not a melee or close attack. He will get to shift once from Wil's miss though.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Kane watches quietly from his perch, a look of sadness that he won't be able to swing down onto the enemies...

[sblock=ooc]
just want to see where the bad guy moves to. Oh also how high up is Kane...[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
[sblock=For clarification]If Carolina attacks from where she's at now, after a Stealth roll of 20, she'll have Combat Advantage (thus dealing sneak attack damage), yes?

In order to maintain stealth after that attack, she'll have to move again and make a new stealth check, is that correct? And any movement over 2 squares draws a -5 penalty? I'm not overly familiar with the stealth rules, as you can probably tell.[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
"Well, as they say...out of the frying pan...into the fire....AAAAAGGGG" Kruk sifts to get a better vantage point and then charges the first mate. He misses, but tries again.

[sblock=action]
movement: move to f20
attack first mate: brash attack: 1d20+12 vs AC= 16 miss: CA granted to 1st mate until end of his next turn

AP: brash attack =12 misses again.

not starting off well :(

ooc: i was trying to push the first mate off the boat.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=For clarification]If Carolina attacks from where she's at now, after a Stealth roll of 20, she'll have Combat Advantage (thus dealing sneak attack damage), yes?

In order to maintain stealth after that attack, she'll have to move again and make a new stealth check, is that correct? And any movement over 2 squares draws a -5 penalty? I'm not overly familiar with the stealth rules, as you can probably tell.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stealth]She will be hidden from (and have combat advantage against) any of the enemies whose passive Perception score doesn't beat your Stealth check of 20. I think maybe only the first mate (Perception +11 so passive Perception 21) beats that score? So you're not hidden from him. On the other hand, he has been knocked prone so you'd have combat advantage against him with a melee attack... but no CA and -2 to hit with a ranged attack, so you probably don't want to throw your dagger at him. :)

After attacking you are no longer hidden. To become hidden again you'll need a new Stealth check, at -5 if you move more than 2 squares, that is correct. However, you also must have either total concealment or superior cover to be able to make a stealth check. I.e., you have to be out of sight. It's not clear if there is any place to get total concealment/superior cover on the ship. There's lots of junk drawn on the map but that may just be cosmetic. ;) I asked Tenchuu about it but he hasn't answered yet.

In the end it may be better to try for flanking to get combat advantage from here on out. Or we might get conditions on the enemies that will give you CA. Hergunna has an attack that will daze them, for example.[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Carolina energes from her hiding spot with the pirate captain in her sights. She steps within range, in front of Hergunna, and her aim proves true as her dagger buries itself to the hilt inside her target.

She quickly ducks behind one of the cannons as the magical blade returns to her waiting hand.

[sblock=Actions]Move to I12
Standard: Sly Flourish vs. Smargat: 1d20+11+2 hits AC 23 for 26 damage (Roll Lookup)

Stealth check to hide (if applicable): 30 (Roll Lookup)[/sblock]

Remove ads