Exploration based adventures/campaigns: how do you do it?

Lackofname

Explorer
I've been really jonsing to run a game with a heavy bent on exploration. But I am not sure exactly how to do it.

There's the issue of Hexcrawling, but let's get to that later.

In general, what sort of tenants do you use in an exploration-focused game? What are your goals? Where is your plot? If it's purely "Let's go poking around", there's no pressure, so you get the 15-minute work day, right? What other aspects are emphasized or important when running an exploration game?

How do you give meaningful choices? It's easy if "To the left, the path veers into an eerie swamp and the path to the right veers into a mist-shrouded forest". But if a large area consists of forest, for instance, how do you create meaningful choices about where to explore?

On the topic of Hexcrawling

How does it work? I picked up the Kingmaker adventure, and I was a little dissatisfied with the rules for hexcrawling. Is that it? Move through, or spend more time exploring the hex? Is that how it was used Back in the Day? Is there a better way to utilize the Hexmap for exploring?

Raven Crowking

First Post
A couple of quick answers. More later, if I get more time.

If it's purely "Let's go poking around", there's no pressure, so you get the 15-minute work day, right?

Depends upon the context. An exploration game (IMHO) assumes a "world" to explore. That world has other inhabitants, who react to what the PCs do and go about their own lives....including trying to meet thier own goals.

Camping in a dungeon after every 15 minutes means that some of these creatures will, sooner or later, come wandering by. This is especially true if the PCs leave corpses in their wake.

Multiple adventuring parties (PC or otherwise) may put time constraints on the characters as well. If they don't find the Golden Idol by X, then party Y may.

How do you give meaningful choices? It's easy if "To the left, the path veers into an eerie swamp and the path to the right veers into a mist-shrouded forest". But if a large area consists of forest, for instance, how do you create meaningful choices about where to explore?

Make the ability to obtain information important in your design.

Consider who knows what, and how the PCs might gain that information.

Set up "encounters" with the signs of monsters that dwell nearby -- these are as important as actual encounters if meaningful decision-making is desired.

More later.

RC

Crothian

First Post
It really depends what they are exploring. It could be the wilderness the boarders the country, it could be looking for a faster way to connect two cities for trade purposes, it could be securing a safe route through mountains, mapping a collection of islands, spelunking a monstrous series of caves, etc.

The plot of theme can really just be why they are doing it. One thing I do is give the players rumors and legends of the areas they might explore and see what they want to go find. One thing I like to do is give them conflicting tales or information or just pieces so that when they share the inform they aren't all sharing the exact same thing.

Celebrim

Legend
But if a large area consists of forest, for instance, how do you create meaningful choices about where to explore?

Essentially, I do some top down design informed by random encounter tables and well designed monster entries and massaged into something meaningful by the DMs powers of imagination.

The key to doing it well is having a good sandbox, so that you can interpret a random event or encounter in the context of the world around it. Really extensive and well documented random encounter tables are a plus.

Let me start from the beginning.

1) I create some meta-plot for the area. This is the 'important event' going on or the 'important event' all other events are leading up to. The 'Powers that Be' in the area are bending everything toward this important event and ultimately you intend to involve the PC's in the 'important event'. However, you don't know exactly at this stage how you'll involve them or even which side the PC's will take.
2) I make a big map.
3) I create the big 'Powers that Be' for the area (probably without stats at this stage) and put there lairs/strongholds/cities on the map (often without maps at this stage). These are the major NPC actors.
4) I create a wandering encounter table for the major map divisions which is sufficiently detailed that the results will be surprising at times and predictable at others.
5) I give the players some initial reason to want to move across the map.

Now, as we start play, we might get some wandering encounter result. I look at the result and think, "Is it impossible that this is true?" If its not impossible, then it must be some new discovery and I try to make it work.

For example, lets say I get a result of 'Orcs' and I know that orcs are encounted in their lairs 10% of the time. Then I roll that and I discover that its not just orcs that are encountered, but an orc lair. Viola, I have new map feature and a new minor player in the area - this orc tribe I previously new nothing about. Who are they allied with? What do they want? Are they in on the plot, or just useful tools or annoying foils? What resources do they already control, and what do they do for a living? Are they farmers, bandits, mercenaries, slavers, miners, or some of all of the above? Answer this in accordance with what you already know about your invented area and what inspires you. And after this, any further orc results tend to imply encounters with the orcs of that tribe I invented. Or conversely, if no lair was encountered the first time, then it likely true that there is a lair somewhere around here and I either need to place it or be on the lookout for a good place to place it.

Ideally, when I roll 'orcs' encounters, its not just with 'orcs'. That band of orcs could be mercenaries, bandits, merchants, slavers, farmers, hunters, ranchers, refugees, pilgrims, and so forth. They may or may not be interested in the PC's, and may or may not be hostile. They have an agenda and its not just 'get killed by PC's'. How the PC's interact with the group sets the stage for future interactions. NPC's created here may disappear, or may become reoccuring personages. I roll orcs the next time, maybe I decide its the same band of orcs, or at least the same NPC.

Let's say I roll a result of something wierd, like a water monster in a desert. Well, this implies the existance of an oasis and if ok with that, well, I just put some other new feature on the map. Now, I've also just created story. All the intelligent monsters in the vicinity would like to use the oasis, but they can't, because of this water monster.

Similarly, every wandering encounter is effectively authority to create a small terrain feature and even a new map subdivision if you want. You can create bridges, roads, stream, caves, abandoned mines, ruined buildings, etc. Just because your 6 mile wide hex says 'Forest' on it, doesn't mean that there aren't stands of ancient hardwood, pine thickets, gullies with steams in them, outcroppings of rock, small hills, rolling ridges, fairy woods, haunted sections, abandoned homesteads, glens and meadows, small ponds, clear cuts by loggers, burned out areas from forest fires, and whatever else you can imagine. As you need more detail, add it.

Where I think that this gets tricky is pacing. This sort of hexcrawling can take up alot of time with what is in essence 'meaningless' events. It does give the feeling of really living in the world, but merely living in the world is not necessarily a really exciting or fulfulling thing to do. You might have noted that I answered in detail how you create exploration areas, but not necessarily how you create motivation and meaning to that exploration. Back in the day, when I was first RPing (and 12 or 14) that question didn't concern me too much. Killing things and taking thier stuff, and occasionally not killing something and deciding to befriend it, was enough. In previous hexcrawl campaigns I did, I always felt that while I had lots of awesome planned, I wasn't doing a good enough job showing the players the awesome admidst the mundanity of the world. I was waiting for the story to grow naturally rather than hitting the players with story from the first page, and just as it would be in a novel, that's not the best way to go about it. You want the awesome to be on page 1 if it is anywhere, then after you can do your breathing life into the world.

So I'm structuring this campaign different than my previous ones. We're going to go with awesome first, then later bring the sandbox, rather than sandbox first and later bring the awesome.

Lackofname

Explorer
Also bare in mind I don't want to start a sandbox fight. This isn't just that. I hear a lot about how 1e is so much about Exploration, about "pull the lever, see what happens".

Well, I'm trying to put myself in that frame of mind, but I find that I don't know all that much about it! Regardless, I want to cut my teeth on it, as that is a bit of the focus of my next campaign!

So really it's "Everything you can say about Exploration, say it!"

Lackofname

Explorer
Celebrim, your response seemed to be "How I make random encounters matter", not "how I make PC choices matter in a specific area". The issue is presenting players with more informed choices than just "Right, left or straight?" with no other meaningful information. I'm hung up on the meaningful information, because if the area is similar in geography, then there's not a lot of info you can give in a "right or left" type of decision.

As far as Hexcrawling goes, of what I'm familiar with, I'm looking at Pathfinder's take. Where the DM places Encounters (that may seem random) in each hex. It's broken down like so:

Sites: Just moving through the hex, period, the PCs stumble across this area. So it's like a fort or a huge monument.
Standard: The PCs have to explore the hex (rather than just move through it) to trigger this encounter.
Hidden: While exploring, PCs must use corresponding skills to find this encounter area. If they do not use a certain skill and do not score high enough (I think), this encounter remains hidden.

To be honest, I want to avoid just random tables. I'd rather have it look random to the players, but not BE random in the sense I'm rolling on a chart. I'd rather have all the materials I need right ahead of time. So it's more of an easter egg hunt (or the random encounters are traps) rather than I not knowing what's there either.

Also about Hexcrawling. The Pcs want to look for raw materials like ore that can be mined and other resources. And I'm not sure how to do this. I am leery of just rolling for resources, because then the PCs can go "yay we now have a gold mine close to our colony" and suddenly things get much out of wack economically, and developementally. But I agree that the Pcs should be able to find resources and the like, but it should be more difficult than just a random roll, and the locations should be more... challenging.

Celebrim

Legend
Celebrim, your response seemed to be "How I make random encounters matter", not "how I make PC choices matter in a specific area".

Yeah, I realized that toward the end of the post.

Let me be frank, if you are thinking about 'PC choices' in terms of 'did we go left or did we go right', I think its going to be very hard to make those choices matter in the sense you seem to mean it. At that level, the PC's are taking a random walk even if you aren't using a random table to fill in the blanks. To make PC choices matter they must be goal driven and have long term consequences. And that's what I was trying to get to with the use of random encounter tables. As the PC's move through the area, the choices they make in interacting with what they find there should have consequences, regardless of how the sites, encounters, and secrets got to be there.

To be honest, I want to avoid just random tables. I'd rather have it look random to the players, but not BE random in the sense I'm rolling on a chart. I'd rather have all the materials I need right ahead of time. So it's more of an easter egg hunt (or the random encounters are traps) rather than I not knowing what's there either.

The thing is, you won't have time to do this. Even if you keep the scale of your sandbox really small - say 40x40 miles - you won't be able to really detail things at even the 1 mile grid level (1600 1 mile grid entries), much less the detail level you might feel you need for villages and lairs. Some amount of detail can't be completed ahead of time, and the success of an exploration game is heavily dependent on not having alot of empty spaces that look just like the other ones. You just won't be able to prepare enough material.

I am leery of just rolling for resources, because then the PCs can go "yay we now have a gold mine close to our colony" and suddenly things get much out of wack economically, and developementally.

What you have there is just a badly designed random table. Your random table should not regularly kick up answers you don't like or can't use. If your intention is to keep really valuable resources from being easily exploited, you might have a table that goes from 1-150 and uses a d100 to determine result. The table repeats some resources several times at higher levels. Then you add +1 to the roll for each hex removed from the starting point you are to determine the result. Or you might detail all hexes within three of the starting point, and then leave the rest random. Or you might have several tables corresponding to different regions.

Remove ads