KINGMAKER: Crazy idea, or crazy like a fox?

Is running Kingmaker right after Council of Thieves (at Lvl 13) a good idea?

• Poll closed .

BlackMoria

First Post
Another aspect to consider is how your players feel about playing through modules without leveling. Almost all players I have had (and I have had many over 35 years of playing) are 'level chasers'. Meaning, they look forward to leveling their characters. Every session, there is usually some small talk about when they will level and discussing ideas about what feats, prestige classes, bonuses, etc they will get. It is part of the game.

Our group is doing Kingmaker and we are averaging 4-5 sessions per module, so far, which is about average for our other adventure paths we have completed. And after looking at the Paizo boards, we are 'fast' in comparison to many other groups.

Point is, using my group as a example, that is some 16 - 20 play sessions and perhaps a lot more that your group will not level. Perhaps they will really get into the kingdom building aspect and that will distract them from the fact they are static for leveling for quite a period of time. But you can't count on that happening. My group was initially enthusiastic about the kingdom building but it started to get tedious so it is now handled outside of the normal play sessions.

Not everyone will take to the kingdom building rules or more correctly, you shouldn't count on them getting really excited about that aspect of the adventure. If they do, then you are golden. But if they don't, then you have some 16+ game sessions to keep their interest through a very long dry period of not leveling.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases