Proposal: Changes to some conventions in the new wiki

weldon

Explorer
Proposal: I would like to discontinue the usage of the L4W: prefix and remove it from all existing pages. I would also like to make "PC:" a custom namespace.

Here's why:

The L4W: prefix in page titles that we have been using is redundant and unnecessary now that we have our own dedicated wiki (l4w.wikia.com). Originally it helped separate content from other stuff in the enworld wiki (and may well have been a custom namespace in that wiki). There is no need to do that in the new wiki.

The motivation for doing so is that we can use the next level of prefixes as true namespaces. I would like to implement a custom namespace for "PC:" for any player character page. We could do others too, but I'd like to go with "PC:" at first.

The prefix "PC:" would become a custom namespace. Any page that begins with "PC:" would belong to the namespace for player characters. We can do some conditional formatting on pages and some reporting based on this namespace to improve things like the Character Table report I put together.

One of the limitations of the current character table is that it pulls pages that belong to "approved characters" or "requesting approval" but will miss any page that doesn't have those category tags. If we implement the "PC:" namespace, it will be easier to make sure that I am grabbing all the characters.

Besides that, it just makes sense.

evilbob

Explorer
How difficult is it to change a wiki page name once it is created? If we change character pages to a different URL, won't this create a dead link and also lose the history of the page?

I could be completely wrong about this - I honestly don't know. Also, I am not against the idea; I think it's a good one.

Kalidrev

First Post
I also love the idea, but am also curious about changing the current links and pages (if that's even possible). I'll give my vote once I get this info.

renau1g

First Post
It's super easy to remove a tag or add one on.

They all have the PC tag already right? Well except Kane, but that's my problem

Dekana

Explorer
How difficult is it to change a wiki page name once it is created? If we change character pages to a different URL, won't this create a dead link and also lose the history of the page?

I could be completely wrong about this - I honestly don't know. Also, I am not against the idea; I think it's a good one.
I agree 100%. I like the idea, but I wouldn't want to have to change every link in the wiki manually if that's what it takes.

Dekana

Explorer
Good to know about the Move function. Still, this change would break all character links on the enworld forum.

Seeing as how we just had to fix those links for the new wiki anyway, it's not like we can't do it again. But that's easy for me to say since I won't have to do it. :p

Edit: Unless there's a redirect page we can set up for each character page?

Edit 2: On further inspection, the redirect is set up automatically as part of a move. So no problem! We'd 'just' have to move every page in the wiki.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases