Dungeon Crawl Classic 23 the Sunken Ziggurat

Crothian

First Post
The Sunken Ziggurat is a Dungeon Crawl Classic module for 3.5 edition D&D by Richard Pocklington. It is for levels five through seven and offers a wide variety of encounter, puzzles, and obstacles. The module is short like most of them in the product line and features a dungeon crawl with little else. The maps are well done and not complex which I liked and the whole adventure took my own group about two sessions to complete it. This review is based off of my own read through and using the module in my own campaign. It will feature many spoilers to the module.

I like the idea of the module. Tiamat was killed on this spot centuries ago and a Ziggurat was constructed there to keep her evilness and corruption contained. The PCs need to go through the protections of the Ziggurat and then purify the bottom area to keep the corruption contained. There are not goblins or orcs or other things to kill here. The monsters are mostly made up for the module and are a good mixture of constructs that are here to service the temple and corrupted elementals and other aberrations that the corpse of Tiamat has infected.

I really liked the riddles the module uses. The Ziggurat was built by people of the Moon god who is very Lawful Neutral. The riddles are logic problems easy to work out but can be a little time consuming. One thing I enjoyed is that the type of riddles is not something I have seen in a published module before and the last time I ran into something of this type of middle school algebra extra credit problems. It was the type of puzzle that all my players could do and understand from the player with a masters degree in Engineering to the paper pusher with a degree in History. I dislike the problems that only one or two players will be able to solve and the others just sit around waiting not able to offer any input.

As Dungeon Crawl Classics goes I think this would qualify as an easier module. It is not complex, does not have many powerful nasty creatures in it, not a lot of traps or sinister encounters like the series is known for. It was fun and offered a unique back-story that I was able to use and fit into my own campaign quite easily.

Remove ads