D&D Police Drama

Ian B

First Post
Inspired by Terry Partchett's Discworld novels and the plethora of cop shows I've been watching I've been thinking about running a D&D campaign in which the players are officers of a City Watch, or some other kind of local law enforcement organization. Before I started though I thought I'd post here for some feedback on the concept. Has anyone here tried this? Did any find it worked particular well or badly? Any pitfalls or tips I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

P.S I also posted this topic on RPG.net. I apologize if cross posting isn't permitted.

weem

First Post
Inspired by Terry Partchett's Discworld novels and the plethora of cop shows I've been watching I've been thinking about running a D&D campaign in which the players are officers of a City Watch, or some other kind of local law enforcement organization. Before I started though I thought I'd post here for some feedback on the concept. Has anyone here tried this? Did any find it worked particular well or badly? Any pitfalls or tips I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

I think it's a great idea. It has come up here before as well, and I liked the idea then too. You could even take inspiration from X-Files / Fringe.

P.S I also posted this topic on RPG.net. I apologize if cross posting isn't permitted.

I do it (occasionally), as do many others - I don't think it's an issue ;)

Welcome to EN World btw!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Check out the Hawk and Fisher novels by Simon Green. Its exactly what you are looking for in terms of inspiration.

Its essentially a series hardboiled detective/cop stories set in a D&D-esque fantasy city somewhat akin to Ptolus. The main characters are a husband and wife pair who are veteran warriors and members of the city watch. They investigate various supernatural and magic related crimes.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I just started the same thing.

I likd the idea because it gave an episodic feel, and some structure to the story.

I found a book called Crime and Punishment on paizo that seems to have a lot of good stuff for this sort of game.

weem

First Post
Check out the Hawk and Fisher novels by Simon Green. Its exactly what you are looking for in terms of inspiration.

Its essentially a series hardboiled detective/cop stories set in a D&D-esque fantasy city somewhat akin to Ptolus. The main characters are a husband and wife pair who are veteran warriors and members of the city watch. They investigate various supernatural and magic related crimes.

Thanks for sharing - I may have to check those out myself ;)

*heads to amazon*

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Second Hawk and Fisher.

Set up the area of patrol for the party. Make this a ward or city district that has a lot of activity and comings and goings.
  • Example: River Gate - lower end of a city, lots of merchants, warehouses and crime. You have the gate itself but you also have docks, and you can expand the watch to the out building & area of the city. It also has a poor section for water front dives. Some of the out buildings & areas: cemetery, tanners, stables, pit fighting pits.
Work on your power brokers - these are the NPCs that 1) people respect or 2) they fear. Ask yourself WHY?
  • Example: Old Man Clubfoot - fear because he controls almost all of the gambling in the River Gate ward. He sits on the high consul of the Thevies guild.
Now build a family and business tree for the NPCs. This is who they work with and members of their families.
  • Example: Old Man Clubfoot's number one enforcer is Gram Darkpool, scum but smart and very loyal to the Old Man. Old Man also has a daughter, Selma Clubfoot (no, Albright), the Old Man can't refuse her anything and she is looking for a husband.
Now build a time line of common events that take place. How often is there a murder in the ward? When does the smugglers smuggle? When is PAY DAY?
  • Example: Pay day is normally the 1st of the month for most of the workers in the River Gate ward, that means the next couple of days are busy for the watch; you have tavern fights, muggings and picket pockets. You also have other issues, most vice, drugs and sex crimes.

Hope this helps, maybe more later...;)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
1E - "Who wants to be the caller?"
2E - "Who wants to map?"
3E - "Who wants to clean the ink off the battlemat?"
4E - "Who wants hold the shakey-cam?"

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

Lord Zack

Explorer
Well, you'd have to consider the effect of spells like "Speak with Dead" and other such divinations on the investigation aspect of the campaign. I expect you'd certainly see magic being an element in the crime the players investigate as well. As you're PCs would be working under official sanction of the city they'd have both benefits and drawbacks. For one, they'd couldn't just loot the perpetrators they'd catch, but on the other hand they'd probably have equipment provided to them by they're superiors.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases