D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 / PF Hellbred build

pawsplay

Hero
The Warlock Invocation Compilation disagrees with choosing Improved Critical, Devil's Sight, and Darkness.

Actually, it says:

Improved Critical (eldritch blast) [AR]: Blast-oriented 'locks should take this feat ASAP (you qualify at 11th level), and others should strongly consider it. It doubles your chances to crit, it applies to all flavors and most forms of eldritch blast (except for cone, doom, and likely line), and you can use it from sunrise to sunset.

It does discourage Devil's Sight and Darkness, and I can see the point, but I respectfully disagree. I've seen what my players can do with just Ebon Eyes. Nasty stuff.

pawsplay

Hero
See, I would consider Voidsense itself an expensive use of invocation slots. And while wands are cheap... if I have Devil's Sight, there is a lot to be said for being able to use Darkness for absolutely free at the first opportunity. Plus, there is caster level.

Dandu

First Post
And while wands are cheap... if I have Devil's Sight, there is a lot to be said for being able to use Darkness for absolutely free at the first opportunity.
Then please say it. What is so great in your book about the Devil's Sight + Darkness combo that other people seem to have missed?

It seems to me that you are setting the Warlock up for a combo in which Darkness is cast to give the Warlock a 20% miss chance from enemy attacks while allowing him to see with perfect clarity due to Devil's Sight.

I can only wonder what the Warlock's party will think of such a tactic, since it is more likely than not that they will be unable to see either and suffer a 20% miss chance on their attacks.

Really, if you want a miss chance, it seems that you could do it better by only spending a single invocation on Entropic Warding and staying out of melee for the first few levels.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
There are very few creatures that can see in magical darkness. Generating concealment, with its miss chance, is very handy from a defense standpoint. It makes you virtually immune to sneak attack, which is nice.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The Warlock Invocation Compilation disagrees with choosing Improved Critical, Devil's Sight, and Darkness.

And after reading through that, for the OP's restrictions, the Warlock 11 / Rogue 9 "max damage" build actually sound pretty promising. If you were willing to give up a sneak attack die, going to Warlock 12 might be how I'd do it (since BAB and all saves increase at level 12, making it painful to skip). Of course, optimally, you would want the 1st level overall in Rogue, since both classes have the same HD for max hp, but Rogue has FAR more skill points to benefit from the x4. Then go straight Warlock till you're finished with the class.

If you can squeeze into Unseen Seer, or his scrawny little brother, Arcane Trickster, that might be worthwhile, too. The requirements on Warlocks for caster prestige classes is something I don't fully understand.

As far as feats in general go, aside from maybe a Glaivelock, I think every Warlock should have Flyby Attack at level 6. That's just such a no-brainer... Rest of the feats are fairly open, the only other feats that stand out as good for all Warlocks are the obscenely broken ones any decent DM would ban upon sight. Like that one from Savage Species to turn your Invocations into Supernatural abilities. Or Dark Speech from Book of Vile Darkness.

Dandu

First Post
There are very few creatures that can see in magical darkness.
Such as the rest of your party?

Generating concealment, with its miss chance, is very handy from a defense standpoint.
Concealment is not bad, however, you have to compare the invocations with others and see how good it is relative to your other options. Thinblade did not find it to be better than invocations such as Spider Climb (mobility, immunity to Webs), Entropic Warding (miss chance against ranged attacks, immunity to tracking), and See the Unseen (Darkvision and See Invisibility).

The problem with the Darkness + Devil's Sight combination is that you select two relatively weak invocations to use together. This is inferior to selecting two invocations that are strong on their own to use together.

Incidentally, did you know that Bull Rushing someone in concealment works just fine because it requires no attack roll?

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
I would definitely consider Entropic Warding in place of one of those invocations. I would almost certainly take it if I planned on taking Voidsense.

Viandante

First Post
Hello everyone, thanks for your posts.

I'm not replying because I'm trying to argue with my DM about the Hellfire Warlock.
He says it unbalances gameplay, so I'm preparing some little considerations he could read, something like that:

I can finish the Hellfire Warlock PrC at level 12 (as one can't enter the PrC before level 10). What you think is unbalanced is Hellfire Blast, which adds 6D6 to my eldritch blast, taking it to 11D6 at the expense of 1 Con damage.
Let's see what other classes can do at level 12:

- A rogue gets 6D6 sneak attack for at least two attacks. Without counting damage from weapons and possible TWF combinations, it's 12D6 damage without penalties, and a level 12 rogue in a party should always be able to flank / sneak on enemies;

- A wizard gets 2 level 6 spells, 3 level 5 spells and much more spells (without counting any bonus spells he gets from high int scores). For example, Chain Lightning (6th level spell) deals 1D6 damage per level plus half the main damage to other targets. That means 12D6 to one target, and the damage goes up with caster level. Maximize it with a wand (I should use a wand of lesser restoration if I want to use Hellfire Blast) and that's 72 damage out of the box, and 36 damage to eleven other :):):):)ers in the room. Fireball (3rd level spell) can go up to 10D6.

- Sorceror: same as wizard, but more time per day.

- A Druid can cast Flame Strike (4th level spell), which deals 1D6 per CL, up to 15D6.

- A cleric can do the same, but it's a 5th level spell for him. Without counting other spells. And cures. And the fact that he hits like a blacksmith that someone interrupted while he was having lunch.

That's why I think Hellfire Warlock isn't that unbalanced.

Do you guys have any other obvious example? I'm not really familiar with all classes so I skipped most of them and most of their abilities and just thought of some spells that deal direct damage.
Any suggestion is welcome.

Remove ads